Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Art learning thread: The lesson strikes back  (Read 6509 times)

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Art learning thread: Week 1
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 09:57:24 pm »

I guess I'll drop in.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 11:17:15 pm »

I'll try and make time for it, but I make no promises. Life has been pretty weird lately.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 03:13:17 pm »

Right, so here we go, a proper start this time.

First off some basics on perspective in case you didn't watch the videos/read the books.

Perspective is a thing that makes stuff look proper and right. Something that makes your drawings feel like a 3d image, instead of something flat and lifeless on a piece of paper or flayed skin.
The gist of it is that every image has a horizon line, or the eye line, it sits at the eye level, regardless of wether or not it is actually shown in the image. And it is on this horizon line that all vanishing points lie (usually, we'll talk exceptions later). Now the vanishing point is this eldricht black hole that sucks and distorts all the lines towards it. If a line is not parallel with the horizon line, then it will be heading to a vanishing point along with any line parallel to it, this can be located within the image itslef or somewhere off to the side.
You can have a number of vanishing points, depending on your needs and how realistic you want your image to be. Ideally, two point perspective (that is, two vanishing points) is the ideal mix between realistic and effort. Three point being the most realistic looking, but at the same time the most requiring to pull off. While one point is somewhat limited but at the same time rather easy and quick to pull off.
Now, this doesn't mean that there's a right or wrong number of VP's you can use, it all depends on what you want to depict, how, and how much effort you want to put in.
Now, these are rough basics and hard to convey without some imagery, so we'll lazily leave that out because I have 40 Mb's of bandwidth left and finding and uploading the needed stuff would eat it up rather quickly.

So we'll merrily and blindly jump into it. If you have any questions feel free to ask, this is barebones because I don't want a wall of text with ALL the information, this is purely to get you going. Because it would be too easy to serve you everything (and far too much work for me :P ) and that wouldn't be fun now, would it.

Here are the five tasks to complete by next Thursday morning:
1. Draw an object in one point perspective
2. Draw an object in two point perspective
3. Drawn an object in three point perspective
4. Find a work of art (photograh, painting, anything really) that you like (and I suggest something with manmade objects because those are the easiest to analyze) and figure out how its perspective is constructed, ideally replicating it with rough geometric shapes
5. Construct your own full scene with a perspective of your choice

These are meant to get you to figure out how perspectives work, conduct a study of how they apply to real world stuff and then use them to make something of your own.

Next week we'll go into the murkier parts of perspective, curves, circles, foreshortening and other vicious things.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 05:56:16 pm »

Hmm should I submit them one by one? Or is it better If I drop them in bulk?

Spoiler:  1 point perspective. (click to show/hide)

Took me something like 20 minutes. And I think the arches of the windows don't quite fit

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »

I'll at least watch. These don't have to be good drawings, right?

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 06:53:57 pm »

I tried only using my tablet. Clearly I need to use it more.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 07:04:42 pm »

udjcuwvcify
I want to do this for the sake of my art skills, but I have too much stuff at the moment...
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »

Here's my piece. Mostly because I haven't drawn in a couple of days. 2-point perspective will be better!

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 07:32:07 pm »

posting to watch, I don't have time right now to do much arting, but i may join in at a later point.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 08:22:48 pm »

Starting off strong, yeah!
Spoiler: Exercise 1 (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 08:55:58 pm »

Why didn't I see this before.
No wait, why wasn't it advertised before. :I

PTW/PTP (Posting to participate), probably for Round Week 2.

Edit: Wait wha-can we use pencils or the like instead of digital media? :O
EditII: Err,
1. Draw an object in one point perspective
2. Draw an object in two point perspective
3. Drawn an object in three point perspective
4. Find a work of art (photograh, painting, anything really) that you like (and I suggest something with manmade objects because those are the easiest to analyze) and figure out how its perspective is constructed, ideally replicating it with rough geometric shapes
5. Construct your own full scene with a perspective of your choice
When you say next Thursday MORNING, you do mean March 13, yes?
*Tiruin is inflicted by timezones! She is stunned.

Oh, and the numbering system--those are what we'll do within the week or they must all be presented in one drawing?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:58:31 pm by Tiruin »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 09:28:59 pm »

I dunno. Didn't really have anything planned when I started, figured I'd set up a basic horizon line and some lines for a vanishing point and go from there, maybe do some rectangles or something. It sorta developed from there. Maybe I'll try something more in-depth, detailed, and not as messy if I feel like it, but right now this is fine I guess. Better than not doing anything at all, right? Nah, I'm kidding, it's way worse than doing nothing.

I'm tired, whatevs. I'll art how I wants to art. At least I did this.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 11:17:05 pm »

I made the Corp Corp headquarters, purveyor of office supplies and crushed souls.

We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 04:11:15 am »

Awesome to see you guys jumping into this so eagerly :D

First, to answer questions, yes, you can do this in any medium you like, if you're comfortable with crayons, go ahead and use crayons. This is about learning and having fun, making it look incredible is a tertiary (is that a word?) concern.
And by Thursday I mean the 13th, since I posted the tasks last night, should give you a nice week to complete it all on your own terms. And you can group them however you want, if you can fit it all on a single piece of paper, be my guest, just make sure it's readable without a magnfying glass :P

Now to comment on stuff that was posted.

Vastaghen has a nice little house, it seems the bottom of the wall bends a bit but he hid it nicely with rocks (which is another lesson, if you can't draw it, hide it).
Nienhaus has a nice attempt, but there are a few things that went wrong. You could use a ruler or the shif+click (or whatever gives you a straight line in whatever program you're using) for straight lines, since most of the issues come from lines being wobbly and making it look like they have several vanishing points. Another big problem is the sofa, not sure if you just doodled it quickly or something but it has a perspective of it's own instead of following the one set by the room. The chest has a bit of this too but is much less noticeable.
Scoopbeard has a very nice example, not much more to say about it.
Nirur too, even if it is very simple, it shows the perspective very nicely, as well as keeping the guidelines for added clarity.
Spacecat is having a problem with straight lines too. Also none of the houses seems in perspective, they're close, but not quite there, which makes it rest firmly in the uncanny valley territory. You don't have to polish it up to perfection, but put a little more effort into it :P
And finally Hugehead has another nice example, clean and smooth.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 06:31:08 am »

this looks productive! I'd like to participate :U

I did something with 1 point of perspective?
also looks cool as a 2 point perspective thing!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6