Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How should we rip off a DF almost-ripoff?  (Read 4663 times)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How should we rip off a DF almost-ripoff?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 01:42:58 pm »

Just like toady has the right to steer DF anyway he wants to, everyone else has the right to say "cool idea, but I think I can do it better!". DF is protected by copyright, but the idea behind it is free and so it should be.

As said above, large parts of DF are not original anyway. In game development, almost nothing is completely original, every game is inspired for some parts by other games. Just like games such as elite, wolfenstein, and dune 2 spawned a range of other games, a lot of games being developed now call themselves 'inspired by DF' or 'DF but with better graphics'. I say: let them try, and we will judge the results, and then come back to our loony suicidal little beards for more messed up toadisms.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »

Just like toady has the right to steer DF anyway he wants to, everyone else has the right to say "cool idea, but I think I can do it better!". DF is protected by copyright, but the idea behind it is free and so it should be.
As said above, large parts of DF are not original anyway. In game development, almost nothing is completely original, every game is inspired for some parts by other games. Just like games such as elite, wolfenstein, and dune 2 spawned a range of other games, a lot of games being developed now call themselves 'inspired by DF' or 'DF but with better graphics'. I say: let them try, and we will judge the results, and then come back to our loony suicidal little beards for more messed up toadisms.
agree
I found many same style games.(match 3, chess, and other)
Sorry for Grammar.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »

Even DF isn't really unique in it's gameplay. Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius, Settlers, etc were all fairly similar to DF. And that's just Fortress mode.

Yeah, there are always going to be things similar from before DF was made and later, I perfer to think DF made the genre something more serious.
But, on the note of something similar to adventure mode:
     http://en.cataclysmdda.com/
A text-based free to play survival game, on the premise of a zombie virus and a few other things resulting in the end of humanity as we know it.
As I understand it, it is completely open source and updated by a group of community developers who are open to new ideas and submissions of any new code through Github. That, and the community, while smaller, feels quite a lot like this one.

Video for the lazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRpktmTvaqI
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 06:13:24 pm »

Having played a healthy amount of DF and recently of Banished, I can tell you it is in the same genre, but it is NOT some cash-in rip off of DF.

The game stands on its own two legs, and while it has some tropes similar to DF (Things spiraling out of your control) it does its own thing.

I'm surprised this community isn't more supportive of the game. After all, it was made by ONE guy with an assist from his brother. Does that sound a little familiar? Luke (the game's creator) has been very humble about the experience, even after the commercial success of his game. 

Does it have DF's complexity? No, doesn't even hold a candle to it. But it is fun on its own terms, has a great UI and very good graphics (for a game made by one guy). It is worth the $20 purchase price.

In fact, it could be a boost to the DF community. Some people over at /r/banished say they've essentially 'solved' the game and want something more complex. I send them here :D

Fairawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 06:50:43 pm »

I think when you say "rip-off" what you actually mean is "similar genre"... though, even then, that's a bit of a stretch.

Honestly, when talking to others, the games people cited as being similar to "Banished" were "Prison Architect", "Majesty", "Stronghold", and a few others. Never Dwarf Fortress. Dwarf Fortress is just a taaaaad more complex.

And by "a tad", I meant a stupidly huge amount. :)

No worries. Few games can even touch DF. It's its own thing.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 06:54:13 pm »

It doesn't matter...?

Really, 'survival-management' is its own genre by now. This is like saying every game with voxel-based terrain is a Minecraft ripoff.

[Signature]

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 07:25:50 pm »

Really, 'survival-management' is its own genre by now. This is like saying every game with voxel-based terrain is a Minecraft ripoff.
It goes as far as any building game with squares. Some people call Terraria a 2D Minecraft rip-off. (Obviously DF is a Minecraft ripoff, too.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:32:51 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Don57

• Bay Watcher
  • Commanding Fortresses Since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 09:14:22 am »

The more Dwarf-Fortress-like games out there, the better.

Fairawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 09:24:04 am »

This. All of this. As I said, I'm pretty sure no one has the patience to get close... but if they could...

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 09:30:56 am »

Not really close to a dwarf fortress rip off. But it is still pretty fun to play

Dowly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 09:39:40 am »

This. All of this. As I said, I'm pretty sure no one has the patience to get close... but if they could...

I agree. The more games like DF there are, the more people might venture to try DF. Heck, Gnomoria was what got me interested in DF.
Pages: 1 [2]