Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons 4e: REPLACEMENTS WANTED  (Read 46925 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons: The Heroes of Ekris Homebrew Campaign
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2014, 07:06:36 pm »

Waaaait! I misspeak!

Alright...

((Ummm.... I have the Arcane, Divine, and Martial Handbook and I can't seem to find the Transformation Ritual.))

((THAT'S 'CAUSE I INVENTED IT
To work with the setting better, I'm inventing all my own rituals. Sorry if there's one you wanted that I don't come up with-- give me the deets on it and I'll try to adapt it.
((Don't worry. I wasn't looking for any specific ritual. I just thought we had different books, and wanted to see how it worked, lest I summon a huge orb of fire coming at me and die testing it, or turn our party into newts. I like homebrew stuff and storylines, so long as it isn't blatantly rulebreaking. That ritual sounds pretty awesome, IMHO.))

Copy ritual into my spellbook, try to figure out how it works

You copy it into your book. It works as follows:

Transformation Ritual
Requirements:
Level: 2
Category: Transformation
Time: 10 minutes
Duration: Specified in ritual; see text
Component Cost: None; Requires specific items; see text
Market Price: None
Key Skill: Arcana (DC: Moderate of target's level)

In the ritual, the target is transformed into a creature of their level or below. They keep their mind, memories, thoughts, etc. The caster specifies how long the target will be transformed in the ritual; examples include one hour, one month, one day, or until the ritual is used again. "Forever" is not a valid time frame.  You may cast this ritual on yourself. You may also cast it on a group of people, but you need a fang for each person. The victim does not have to be willing, but an unconscious creature can be forcibly transformed.

This ritual's effects can be undone by itself, certain artifacts, or the Remove Curse ritual (described in another spellbook).

This ritual is quick, but not exactly "cheap"-- you need a slightly difficult-to-obtain werewolf fang. In general, this will run you a moderate price at a local trinket shop. Other than that, the ritual involves drawing a circle on the ground with chalk or the like; you can also simply use sticks or stones to form a circle just as well. Afterward, the target must hold the werewolf fang and stand in the circle. The caster must then recite a small poem describing the creature the target shall be turned into; this is what the Arcana check is for. ((You can just tell me what the transformation should be of.))

Alright, there's the ritual!

"Hero? Well... If you say so... Aren't you buying into this whole prophecy stuff a bit too much though?"

Erza asks around for information about this temple and about this prophecy, trying to find out as much as she could about both.

Jakme explains to you:

"Ok, look. The specter you encountered was called "The King of Death" because he overpowered the embodiment of death itself. The nine of you must defeat him in battle before he gains a true mortal form. If he gains a physical form, he will regain his old power, so we can't let that happen; rather, we must defeat him in his current state. The scouts and I, potentially my fellow eladrin wizard, are going to try to track the specter so that you can fulfill the prophecy. And you can't fulfill it if you're dead, but he'll destroy the world uninhibited if you do die. So basically, we have to kill him before he kills us as soon as possible. You are, from what I've heard, the heroes, but you must travel to the Prophecy Temple in the forest to prove yourselves. There you will find many more answers. And yes, I am sure of this prophecy. It was simultaneously foretold by several wizards at the same time."

David looks for a map of the forest that he can take. If he cant find one to take, he copies one.

You find no maps you can take. You copy the most detailed one onto a piece of parchment, with startling accuracy. The map is all but perfect.

Well then, I bid you goodbye.

(Are we spending a week in the city, or montage-ing?)

Visit the bar, looking for the other thieves. I have questions for them.

((Montage-ing.))

You visit all the taverns in the city, and eventually find the thieves from the cave. You approach them, with a stern look on your face.

Ok, I ended the quest wrong...

THE QUEST IS OVER!

There.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2014, 08:29:30 pm »

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2014, 10:00:14 pm »

Erza raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"Uh huh... You do realize that magic can fake that sort of thing, right? Anyway, how did he overpower death itself? How do you even know that's what happened with him, or if it's even him in the first place? I'm pretty sure there are illusions to mask appearances, and someone could just be using this prophecy to hide behind. Have you thought about who else might be behind this? And what possible reason would they have to steal the crown jewels?"

Taking a deep breath to collect herself, Erza held up a hand in apology.

"Sorry for unloading that on you. It's just... Why immediately jump to a prophecy when there could be a much more logical, and normal, reason for these things happening? I mean, surely you have thought about political rivals or something that might be behind this, right?"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2014, 10:02:10 am »

Keyleth appreciates the training the castle offers. So much so, in fact, that she spends the entire week practicing and developing her psionic powers along with keeping her physical form in shape.

((Basically she has no reason at the moment to explore the town looking for thieves, does not have enough money to purchase magic items, is not trained in magic so she cannot participate in the prophecy debate (even if she wanted to), and so she can just fast-forward.))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2014, 10:26:46 am »

Erza raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"Uh huh... You do realize that magic can fake that sort of thing, right? Anyway, how did he overpower death itself? How do you even know that's what happened with him, or if it's even him in the first place? I'm pretty sure there are illusions to mask appearances, and someone could just be using this prophecy to hide behind. Have you thought about who else might be behind this? And what possible reason would they have to steal the crown jewels?"

Taking a deep breath to collect herself, Erza held up a hand in apology.

"Sorry for unloading that on you. It's just... Why immediately jump to a prophecy when there could be a much more logical, and normal, reason for these things happening? I mean, surely you have thought about political rivals or something that might be behind this, right?"

Jakme replies,

"You have a point, but... it's quite... uncanny with the prophecy and you all. You really should go to the temple."

Suddenly, you feel how wrong you were before, and that this man probably was speaking truly.

(Nothin' like a good ol' diplomacy-arcana switcheroo! I wrote an entire character sheet for Jakme, complete with cantrips-- the power "suggestion" allows an arcana check instead of a diplomacy check. You, unfortunately, didn't beat Jakme's eighteen plus twelve, with the highest of your three rolls a fifteen.

Sorry if it makes me seem commandeering or something.))
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2014, 10:30:36 am »

Remembering the reason that brought him to the castle in the first place, David returns to the church and asks for the [local religious authority].

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2014, 10:31:55 am »

Move, Silent Stalker: Get right behind them, and tap (non-lethal, you hear me?) two of them, each on the wrong shoulder, with a blade.

"So, do you understand your situation? No! Don't nod... just say yes, or no."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2014, 11:25:18 am »

((No, you're fine like this and you did roll for it, which was important. Honestly, I was worried that I was pushing you a bit too much, but you did quite well to recover and left an interesting opener for yourself in the future. :P))

Erza blinked and frowned slightly at her sudden change of mind.

"Well, I suppose it's best to check it out anyway. Just in case. Anyway, just... Try to keep an open mind next time, alright? Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go see if I can talk to some of these other... Heroes... Yes..."

Nodding once in farewell, Erza promptly turned and entered the castle, looking through the halls for the others that were in the tunnels with her. After some time, she found a familiar elf doing some kind of martial arts routine. Taking a moment to lean against the wall and watch, she smirked slightly when the monk stood on her hands of all things, to kick out with her legs while upside down.

"Well, that position surely isn't suggestive." She called out to her from her spot against the wall.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2014, 11:30:21 am »

Without pause, Keyleth finished the move by using the momentum from her kick to land upright before delivering several quick jabs. She then responded...but not with her voice.

"What do you mean?"

((Italics with quotation marks are using Thought Projection, FYI.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2014, 12:56:40 pm »

Raising an eyebrow at both the new voice in her head and the elf, Erza shook her head slightly.

"Isn't it obvious? You know... Certain positions providing ease of access? Or maybe providing access for the user? I suppose it varies. Then again, looking at you properly right now, you might not recognise such things."

Waggling the tip of her tail under own chin, the tiefling chuckled.

"You were in the tunnels, were you not?"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2014, 01:11:34 pm »

Keyleth just shrugged. Even back at the temple she was an elf of few words and little socialization.

"Yes. You were there as well."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2014, 10:31:54 pm »

"Figured you looked familiar. It's not often you see someone who moves like you do."

Erza hummed in thought for a moment before tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"I take it you are part of this whole 'heroes' business that's going on right now? What do you think of it and this prophecy thing?"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2014, 12:06:05 am »

Keyleth thought for a moment before speaking out loud, for the first time since those men underground.

"I don't know. Never heard of any sort of prophecy back at the Temple. Never saw myself as a hero either."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2014, 12:22:00 am »

"Yes, I know what you mean... I've never thought of myself as a 'hero' either, and I've definitely never heard of this prophecy either. And I've got quite a few up in here, unfortunately." Erza replies, tapping the side of her head with a finger.

"Still, what do you think of it? The whole 'world is going to end' prophecy we're checking up on? Got any credence to it, or do you think it's just something someone pulled out of their ass to make the situation convenient? I wouldn't put it past that Jakme guy, that's for sure. Something about him seems a bit... Off. You know what I mean?"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2014, 12:25:33 am »

((...Could I get a slightly late Insight check on Jakme, DM?))

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39