Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves: Smarter?  (Read 1172 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves: Smarter?
« on: October 30, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

Do marksdwarves fill their quiver now or are they still prone to carrying lone bolts?

Woohoo!  Marksdwarves carry 100 bolts, regardless of stack size.  Well, they probably carry more than 100 if the stack is huge, but that only happens with creature sizes >20.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves: Smarter?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

Does this mean bags are no longer filled with a single seed as well?  I can't remember the circumstances, but I do remember it happening a lot and really frustrating the crap out of me.

Miminini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

No, the dwarves still stuff seeds from brewing, eating, and processing into the nearest bag rather than designated stockpiles. I had to drain out unwanted seeds by cooking them all or dumping them just to get the bags back.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

Unfortunately hunters seem dumb as ever.

Hunter shoots a cougar with his lone bolt, misses.
Hunter wanders off to a previous kill site and picks up a single bolt.
Hunter heads back towards cougar, shoots and misses.
Hunter treks across the map to pick up another single bolt.
Hunter heads back for the cougar... misses.

Meanwhile, there's a pile of a hundred or so bolts sitting in the craftsdwarves' workshop.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:39:00 am »

But the stockpile is soooo far away!!!

Nobody said dwarves were willing to walk with their short stubby legs for long distances. If you were four feet tall and had the legs of a dwarf, you'd probably shrug and go grab the bolt you left back in the woods, too.  :)

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

how did you get your dorf to carry 100 bolts? mine only picks up 25 to stuff in his quiver, I have PLENTY of extras laying around.

then again, 25 iron bolts weight 588 units... maybe it's a good thing he is not carrying 100

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lactose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

Maybe its just me but it seems like they don't have as much range as they had in the old version.  My hunter is only shooting things that are like 5 spaces away or less.

They use to machine gun things, wasting ammo left and right.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »

I'd like it if they shot up and down the z levels.  I had a batman harassing my dwarves like 5 levels up and my marksdwarves just wasted most of their bolts shooting in its direction but somehow forgetting to raise their aim too.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lactose:
<STRONG>Maybe its just me but it seems like they don't have as much range as they had in the old version.  My hunter is only shooting things that are like 5 spaces away or less.

They use to machine gun things, wasting ammo left and right.</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure crossbow range is directly related to skill. In the old version, my novice marksdwarves had the same ~5 tile range, but my talented ones were sniping things at least 12 tiles away or more.

火族

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pacho:
<STRONG>I'd like it if they shot up and down the z levels.  I had a batman harassing my dwarves like 5 levels up and my marksdwarves just wasted most of their bolts shooting in its direction but somehow forgetting to raise their aim too.</STRONG>

:(
Yeah if this is true, this must be fixed as soon as possible.

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

Yeah I have definitely caught dwarfs with single bolts in their quiver, not in combat, heading off to hunt.  It's not fixed.  You know this was the fix I wanted to see most since before Z levels were put in?  I take comfort knowing that it's gonna get fixed soon though, since armies are next and this will definitely get fixed then, if not sooner.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 08:44:00 am »

All you really need to do is go to your "stock" screen, and set all the single bolts to dump, as this will also forbid them. After that, if you notice any of your dwarves carrying around forbidden bolts, just turn them off marksdwarvship, then back on after a brief period of time. They'll leave the single bolt that was in their quiver on the ground.