Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm incredibly paranoid about the N. Fowleri ameoba.  (Read 2514 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: I'm incredibly paranoid about the N. Fowleri ameoba.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 01:15:10 am »

Also note as a generality that parasites have specific environments in which they thrive, hence my note on typical habitat. If you aren't in said habitat, then you won't get that parasite.

Okay. Having just read up on the parasite, that sounds truly horrible.  Problem is that there is a laundry list of pathogens and parasites with truly horrible effects. Prions, for instance, those bastards are freaky and kill you in lots of horrible ways. Death by inability to enter REM sleep? What kind of sick bastard does that?

Anyway, off that topic, there are a lot of horrible things that can kill you. However, the odds of having this particular parasite punch your ticket are remarkably low. Roughly 20,000 people die every year due to lightning strikes, 669,000 died in 2001 due to car accidents, in 2012 8.2 MILLION people bit it due to cancer.

You're better off being terrified of swallowing chewing gum, as it might cause your appendix to explode.

There are a lot of good, healthy things to worry about. Grades, your physical health, whether the cute chemical engineer is actually into you, how you're going to pay for college, etc, are all valid worries. Worrying about an invisible (for all intents and purposes) creature eating your brain in your sleep is not a valid or healthy concern.
This is true.
The only thing to worry about is worry itself.
:P
Pages: 1 [2]