Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My embark has seasonal flooding.  (Read 1947 times)

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My embark has seasonal flooding.
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:54:44 pm »

So I'm playing as humans, on a largish map (actually a wee bit bigger than the picture) so I have room to build above ground.

I was making modifications/repairs to the old worldgen road/bridge when the waterfall... "pit", I guess, started to flood slowly across the bridge.  It's a fairly chilly biome; it's late-spring and the water just now all thawed out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not too bad now, but I'm not sure how serious it will get.  Do you think the stream emptying to the ocean is too narrow?  I considered raising that whole section of the road on pilings, but if it freezes while it's flooded, will it deconstruct the pilings?  I could wall the whole thing off and use it for farming, like a huge spillway running down to the beach.  It's still a temperate biome, so I'm hoping maybe some of it will evaporate off during the summer.

Edit: By pilings, I meant supports, but obviously, I could just construct walls.

I dunno though, never had this happen before.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:11:25 pm by Phynhas »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: My embark has seasonal flooding.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »

wow thats pretty cool... but i expect the flooding will get to be problematic, especially if it reaches your front door!
Consider having a floodgate at the entrance you can shut at any time
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:12:09 pm »

I've seen this happen once before.

The river wasn't able to drain fast enough to contain the output from the waterfall.

It may evaporate in the Summer, if the flooding isn't faster than the evaporation rate. But if the supports are caught in ice when it freezes, they may be damaged or destroyed. Constructed floors and walls should be fine though.

If it ends up being a problem, you could build walls near where the flooding occurs to contain it.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:11:51 pm »

Save me, please. That sounds like an awesome play, if laggy.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 10:41:15 pm »

I had a river & waterfall flood like that. it was only 3 z levels deep, but the bottom would freeze and flood across the thawed portions of the map, snap freezing anything that ended up on the still frozen part of the map... It eventually killed all my dwarves due to inexperience and failing to setup on the upper levels
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:44:27 am »

That, that's actually pretty cool.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:35:53 am »

Interesting.

I'd start a levee to contain it, since it may be six months before you get a freeze.  As time, water, and ice allow, push the levee toward the stream, and let the resulting "canal" carry the water off the map.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:42:21 am »

You could also dig drainage near where the flooding starts and have the water drain to a tunnel that leads to the edge of the map. Carve fortifications into the edge tiles, and you have infinite drainage.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 05:01:21 am »

Or you could draw an extra adit off above the waterfall and install a series of power generating waterwheels. You're bound to need the power sooner or later, after all.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:55 am »

I'm gonna put a levee up for now, then I'll channel out the stream next winter.  I usually dam waterfalls right away but forgot this time.

I have a save right when the flooding began.  I'll put it on DFFD tonight after work.  The flooding is very slow, so there's time to do any number of things.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 11:34:00 am »

when 1/7 water gets thawed out, does it turn into 7/7 water?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 03:11:13 pm »

when 1/7 water gets thawed out, does it turn into 7/7 water?
Yes, any level of water becomes 7/7 when it thaws again.  This is part of the reason the waterfall floods, in my experience.  The falling water tends to be in 1/7 to 3/7 chunks when it freezes, so at best it doubles the amount of falling water when it thaws.  It could give you seven times as much water in a worst case scenario (each 1/7 becomes a 7/7 at the thaw).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 12:52:08 am »

Doesn't 1/7 freeze into an ice floor, rather than an ice wall?

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:29 am »

Save me, please. That sounds like an awesome play, if laggy.

Hmm.... Okay, what's your second favorite upload site, after DFFD?  Doesn't seem to want to cooperate.