Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210760 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1425 on: August 19, 2020, 11:17:41 am »

Nomads, at least cutthroats, are essentially better armored and higher stated thugs.  Not quite raiders in potency, but annoyingly dodgy.  They have what appears to be a 2ap pocket sand attack that causes a damage reduction and initiative reduction for a round or two.  That hasnt been a deciding factor for any of my fights, and in fact the only ones they managed to kill were slaves i bought, but still.  They pocketsand all day, sometimes preferring pocket sand to a second attack.

Im noticing a lot of 'severed nose' permanent injuries.  And since that is the mildest of permanent injuries im wondering if thats an intentional tweak.

Havent faced an infrit yet, not exactly looking foreward to it, but it might be a nice pace change from the norm.

Hyenas are direwolves.  Maybe slowed down a little and buffed on attack.

The arena is nice.  You start out with 2 monsters v 3 brothers.  Havent lost a man yet, but the payout is about 600 on hard.  May or may not cover the expense of medical and hammers.

The city-states seem to have patrols?  idk what the city guard is doing, but they sometimes go out into the wilds, ive even gotten them to storm a bandit camp with me once.  They might actually be following me out and patrolling the general area while I kill the camp.

weapons.  omfg the fancier stuff.  I am in general not a huge fan of, in any game, new weapons that manage to be superior to the original stuff just for the sake of it.  Some of the wotn stuff was that, others were more balanced and nuanced.  Same here, with the maces being strict upgrades and the swords favoring lower armor pen but more damage.
    But the guns.  And the spear with the blunderbuss-type attack.  a baseline spear is fitted with a single shot of 'fire goo' and sold to me for just shy of 1k.  it refills every battle, and when used causes a 2 tile straight line attack that sets things on fire (dots?) and fairly heavy damage to enemies.  great for injuries and lowering morale.

can probably make a pretty good quick hands character out of it.  A shield and good melee weapon, then 4 fire spears and maybe a net for utility.
Whips may be exclusive to the south now.  idk, but I havent found one anywhere else yet.  They are pretty common in the city-states though.

There are new potions, such as (apparently) a potion of 100% exp gain (forever?), night eye is sold, and you can freely buy things like fatigue regen potions and the like.

I am playing with the music mod on when im up north and swap it off when i go south.  I havent tried tinkering with the trade goods yet, as Im not sure what the threshold is for making profit with them.  The citys that sell them do the usual price-gouging, but there are tooltips that suggest you can sell them up north (in general or strictly in the snowy cities?) for a tidy sum.  The new provisions are nice, since they add variety, and I got some nice rice for 30gp.  dats cheap.

Since I do the deserter start so often, the manhunter start seems pretty easy.  Im used to low-morale troops in the EG.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:21:47 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: August 19, 2020, 03:11:15 pm »

Fighting ifrits is fucking annoying, because they insta-heal.

Basically, if you have several small Ifrit and beat the snot out of them and they combine into a big one, they get a free heal to full HP. Then when the big Ifrit splits again, all the small parts have full HP. Likewise, if a big one is damaged and splits, the small ones are undamaged. This makes fighting them a new Alp fight where you have to herd and split them in parts, then defeat in detail.

It is basically a chore (like Alps used to be) but they cause ridicilous damage with their ranged attack so it is dangerous too. I think I'll just avoid fighting them now on.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: August 19, 2020, 05:06:31 pm »

Yeah, pretty sure if I was a mercenary, and I confirmed that Infrits existed, I wouldn't be fighting them either.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: August 19, 2020, 05:47:03 pm »

I don't think Ifrits are quite as bad as 1st or 2nd edition Alps but yeah, they're kinda tedious. I haven't figured out a good way to fight em other than "let them throw themselves at me and kill the small ones as they pop out". It's been working pretty well but takes a damn long time when I'm facing 20+ of em.

Luckily they seem to be fairly lucrative fights, they drop pretty high value stuff (I really like the addition of the sellable drop items to all the beast fights) and I haven't actually had trouble beating Ifrits yet.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: August 19, 2020, 08:37:50 pm »

Anyone have experienced opinions of retinues yet?

People seem to discount my current favorite, the scout.  15% movement improvement on all terrain translates into flexibility.  Time is money, and chasing down thieves through a swamp or running from brigands or scouting is made easier.  This guy is QoL.  This guy helps all starts, and is only made less relevant if you plan to stay by cities.

Scavanger is nice as a first pick too, since its easy to get and provides 1-5 hammers and a few arrows every combat.  the hammers are the bigger thing for me, since I do a lot of poor starts.  later on i can see him getting replaced though.

I also like the recruiter.  More recruits in every city and cheaper recruiting, whats not to like?

And as a deserter/northern raider I do a fair amount of opportunistic raiding.  Raider is a bit of a niche choice, but nice because they do act as road scouts and you can find them much easier.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: August 19, 2020, 10:56:36 pm »

I absolutely agree with scout being one of the best. He seemed like one of the obvious keepers to me. 15% more movespeed is (effectively) less wage cost, less food cost, and also you're a lot less likely to get chased down and wrecked in an ambush.

I haven't used them but recruiter seems good. recruitment costs while farming for good bros is one of your biggest expenses for scaling to late game. He's prolly a bit worse early/mid game, when you're using more cost effective backgrounds.

I really like the agent just because she's a massive QOL improvement. Might be skippable cuz shes expensive and doesn't give any explicit bonuses, but being able to avoid all the shitty towns without any real contracts is great.

One I significantly overestimated was the negotiator. I thought he would pay himself off pretty quickly, but I'm so used to not negotiating that I forget to do it 75% of the time. Even when I remember, I only seem to get like 1-5% payout increases from it anyway.

Also Surgeon is pretty nice. Reduced wound recovery is good. Guaranteed survival from the first mortal blow is great. There's a lot of permanent injuries that are quite usable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:00:33 pm by Sindain »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: August 20, 2020, 01:16:50 am »

I'm playing with the gladiator start, so I got the surgeon because I can only have 12 guys. I don't think I'd get him if I had a proper company size available. Scout is a must and I currently have a cartographer too, I'll replace him with something else later. I can see how the recruiter/trainer dude would be a must for peasant militia. I have a lookout as well, since I enjoy seeing things and it helps with finding places.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: August 20, 2020, 05:54:32 pm »

Haven't gotten one yet, since I've been trying out various starts and not really gone to far with a campaign yet, but I'm looking forward to getting a Trader for a Trading start run.

And, yeah, Scout seems like it'd be amazing to have.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: August 20, 2020, 07:55:30 pm »

Well, it appears I dont have any city-states on my current campaign.  Kind of disappointed, Ive mapped out a great deal of the desert at a high cost and opportunity cost.  Its day 50 in this campaign, and I only have competent ranking.

Also, fuck large groups of snakes.  Just.  Fuck.  Them.
The can pull people from on side of their body to another, and then 'chain pull' the poor brother down into a pit of snakes, who then proceed to destroy him.  That was grade A+ 'screw you player' bullshit.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:57:11 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 20, 2020, 09:36:58 pm »

Huh? You don't have any city states? I thought it was hard coded to have 3 on every map. Did you start that campaign before the DLC released or before you bought it?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 20, 2020, 09:45:11 pm »

The seed is 'FarkenGame' from August18th.
Spoiler: pic (click to show/hide)
PKs DF Mod!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 21, 2020, 02:26:26 am »

Maybe that is a bug and you should report it? I thought you were guaranteed to have the free cities if you own the DLC, just like you are guaranteed to have three noble families.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 21, 2020, 11:05:34 am »

have you tried restarting as a southern mercenary and see what happens?

Heck, I might try that myself.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: August 23, 2020, 12:14:35 pm »

Any thoughts about peasant militia late game? I'm at day 110 or such, got all the equipment my troops can take without getting bogged down, but nearly all troops are in the range of 50-60 melee/ranged, level 7 maximum. My concern is that survival might not be enough, but that you have to stay competitive as the days progress, i.e. "stay ahead of the curve".
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: August 23, 2020, 12:31:19 pm »

While there is scaling in the game, my understanding is that it's largely based on your own team's size and level. A small amount is tied to renown and certain enemies get buffs once certain days are reached (largely additional abilities), but the size and composition of enemy groups is mostly tied to one's own team. This applies to contracts and (I think?) random patrols, but not to enemy camps - those are chiefly based on distance to civilization, I believe.

This means if you lose some hardened veterans or otherwise suffer a large setback, you'll be able to recover. At the same time, since two level 7 brothers can vary quite a bit depending on background and the like, it is possible to be on an upper or lower bound of power relative to how it's being scaled. Thankfully, the militia background compensates for the lack of access to 'premium' backgrounds by putting an upper bound to the scaling based on number of brothers - it'll go up to 14 brothers max, meaning you get an extra 2 brothers to field against its scaled difficulty.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98