Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211031 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #945 on: March 08, 2017, 07:44:42 am »

Payment scales with company reputation, not the quality of your manpower (Though better mercenaries tend to be more able in completing contracts without dying :P )
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 08, 2017, 07:57:22 am »

Payment scales with company reputation, not the quality of your manpower (Though better mercenaries tend to be more able in completing contracts without dying :P )

True, and I see that as a problem. World challenge and contract payment should be tied, to some extent, to your company's actual strength as well (and difficulty level). Either renown rises too quickly, or those two factors are too sensitive to renown increase.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 08, 2017, 11:58:18 pm »

How high does renown go? I'm up to "Famed", I think. Hold on, let me boot up and check... Welp, just went up to "Great"

I've gotten the personal quest to become of "legendary" renown. How many points is that? I've got two goblin camps left to raid before I have to start the legendary one.

I really *love* these somewhat random, but progressive, personal quests :) I especially love how some of them give you tangible, physical rewards you can't get anywhere else!

Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 09, 2017, 12:07:25 am »

Really, Ghaz? Huh.

Attacking random bandit and undead camps especially, we regularly find silverware, golden goblets, ancient coins, valuable jewels, and all sorts of goodies worth anywhere between 400 to 1,800 *each* depending on which market you visit and what their supply state (and thus economic growth or shortage, altering prices both ways.)

In a single battle, my last battle, I walked away with around 5k worth of loot, plus at least another 1-2k from all the gear.

Speaking of... Does killing enemies without damaging their armor to zero help you loot more armor? Ever since I got more armor-destroying weapons, enemies rarely drop armor. :|

I'm up to 4 legendary (red-glow, unique name, special/increased stats, sometimes unique art) items: a 2-handed long-axe, a ridiculously cool looking armor with around 370 defense, a one-handed hammer the style of which I have *NEVER* seen before, and... Damn, what was it... I can't even remember.

Who drops war bows, btw? I really want to upgrade from hunting bow but I'm not dropping 3k-6k on one. I've been getting the 3rd-tier crossbow lately, but still no warbows.

Accidentally overwrote my active save so I incidentally savescummed to somewhere around day 70 or 80, before the Widowmaker got killed.

...Actually starting to be able to kill necrosavants, surprisingly enough. Equip everyone with bandages, make a box, give the central guys polearms, and shield-wall away.

Throwing nets to capture 'em is very useful, as I just learned.

Also, apparently necrosavants travel in mobile over-world raiding parties in mid-to-late game. :|

Just found the first one I've ever seen, which scared the shit out of me.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 09, 2017, 06:17:12 am »

Speaking of... Does killing enemies without damaging their armor to zero help you loot more armor? Ever since I got more armor-destroying weapons, enemies rarely drop armor. :|

Yeah, I believe that's the case. It's one of the instances in which decapitation (and cleavers, with their decapitating attack) comes in handy.

In my experience, you only get 0% durability armour if it was worn by a surviving mercenary. It's why armour drops are uncommon, and why you often don't get all their equipment back if a brother's killed.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 10, 2017, 02:16:18 am »

Thanks for confirming. :) Been getting armor more often now that I'm using these crazy goblin heavy crossbows too, the ones with the spikes that knock you back when you get shot, inflicting fall damage if on elevation. (just found them while finishing the destroy 4 goblin camps ambition, netting a very cool unique accessory item which will definitely come in handy.)

Ranged kills seem to net *some* gear, though beheading with cleavers/axes/swords seems the best route.

Long-axes seem to behead every single time or pretty damn close. As long as the enemy has been injured a bit, or is slightly damaged in the armor, its a pretty clear-cut beheading. Don't think I've ever seen it kill without beheading, actually, though I may have missed it?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 10, 2017, 06:43:16 am »

New update (0.9.0.29) which brings a fearsome change to the table, among other things: it seems that "line of fire for ranged attacks [was changed] to no longer be blocked by allies directly adjacent to the attacker. In effect, ranged weapons can now be used more effectively from the backline and behind a shieldwall."

A double-edged sword that should benefit the player more, but still makes ranged enemies more dangerous in close range if the melee fighters engage your mercs first.

There's a number of other good balancing changes, but oddly enough, they've lowered the contract payments in the very late game?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:45:19 am by Greenbane »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 10, 2017, 08:32:24 am »

Regarding contracts, it seems they are affected by your reputation in the location in addition to your global reputation. I went to a faraway village for a first time and they only had first level contracts available.

I guess it would make more sense for contract levels to depend on the way the world goes with the dangerous hinterlands threatened by orcs/undead providing dangerous contracts and safer places only basic stuff, regardless of your party level. So you could risk it and try something beyond your power level or massacre basic bandits for fun if you feel like it.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #953 on: March 10, 2017, 09:39:59 am »

To make sure nobody misses it here is todays release date announcement!
(also check here for todays patch notes: http://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/576863790810191006)

Release Date: March 24th, 2017

We’re excited to announce that after almost 2 years in Early Access, Battle Brothers will release in full on March 24, 2017.

Creating this game together with you has been a long and rewarding adventure, and we’re very happy with what the game has grown to become. Enjoy the new trailer and feature list of the upcoming 1.0 release.

Check out our brandnew announcement trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5h0RhOdKdY

Features

- Manage a medieval mercenary company in a procedurally generated open world.
- Fight complex turn-based tactical battles with historical equipment and brutal injuries.
- Permadeath. All characters that die in combat will stay dead - unless they return as the undead.
- All characters come with their own background stories and traits. Want a stuttering ratcatcher, a greedy witch hunter or a drunkard disowned noble?
- Character development without a restrictive class-system. Each character gains experience through combat, can level up and acquire powerful perks.
- Equipment that matters. Different weapons grant unique skills – split shields with axes, stun enemies with maces, form a spearwall with spears or crush armor with a warhammer.
- Diverse enemy roster. All enemies have unique equipment, skills and AI behavior.
- A dynamic event system with atmospheric encounters and tough decisions outside of combat.
- Three late game crises - a war between noble houses, a greenskin invasion and an undead scourge - add a looming threat.
- Two full hours of orchestral soundtrack.
- 70 Steam Achievements

With the finished game releasing, the Early Access discount of the last two years will also be lifted. Within the next two weeks, the price of Battle Brothers will be raised to 27.99€, 29.99$ or your local equivalent. If you want to get the game while it’s still discounted, then better grab it now!

Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 10, 2017, 01:46:08 pm »

I tried to archive my "defeat 24 enemys" target by attacking a goblin city. Unknown Garrison. What could go wrong.

32 Goblins (ambushers and archers)
10 Wolfriders
3 Overseers
2 Shamans

With the amount of nets and vines, moving was near impossible and the wolf riders pinned me at my starting position - they where choped down, but bought the normal goblins time to get in net-throwing and pike position. The handful of brothers that where lucky enough to start high ground where pushed off quickly. Moral issues of the goblins (my one big hope) where fixed by the overseers at rapid speed and Shamans debuffed my best warriors quickly. Everyone died, then the reserve did one last push in to try and steal back the banner and got cut down, too - or maybe we knew that with the failing moral, no company would be left by the time we get home.

Net+Debuff (or +vines) results in -95% melee defense. Ouch.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 10, 2017, 03:32:21 pm »

Ouch! :| Try to take advantage of environmental parties by starting combat with an allied militia or army, or even a caravan, nearby. They often get drawn into the fight and are great arrow fodder assistance.

Biggest I've fought so far was a group of 40 well-armed soldiers, plus 8 enemy militia that were nearbyish, against my 12 plus a 12-man allied army.

...Somehow, we survived. Our rangers made short work of the less-armored enemies, burning enemy morale. A lucky crossbow shot blasted the enemy knight and saved us from that giant mass of armored murder... Only for the ally to get smashed by two 24-strong enemy armies (we were near the enemy capitol, after all, deep in enemy territory) as I wandered deeper into enemy territory to raid some farmland.

...Woops.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 10, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »

Ouch! :| Try to take advantage of environmental parties by starting combat with an allied militia or army, or even a caravan, nearby. They often get drawn into the fight and are great arrow fodder assistance.

It's mostly impossible to achieve this when you're striking deep into greenskin territory. No friendly parties roam those lands.

EDIT: Bit of criticism about the trailer. It's great and all, but the sound levels seem off due to the fact the music clashes with the narrator when he speaks. Perhaps the (epic) theme could be slightly quieter, or just not ramp up when he's in the middle of a line.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:15:18 pm by Greenbane »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 11, 2017, 06:41:19 pm »

To be fair this is the first time since you said you fixed it a week or so ago.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 24, 2017, 12:21:29 pm »

1.0 is out!

Full Release!

It’s here and it’s done! We’re excited to see the finished Battle Brothers graduate from Early Access and be fully released today, on March 24th, 2017.

Creating this game together with you has been a long and rewarding adventure, and we’re very happy with what the game has grown to become. We hope you enjoy playing Battle Brothers as much as we enjoyed developing it – and given a successful launch, this won’t be the end of the road.

With the game’s release, the soundtrack is now also available as a separate DLC. If you’re the owner of the Deluxe or Supporter edition, it’ll be automatically delivered to you via Steam. The Art & Lore book will become available in the coming weeks.

Let’s celebrate this momentous occasion with our new story trailer for launch and final feature list of the Battle Brothers 1.0 release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5_eSS-NTeU

Features

- Manage a medieval mercenary company in a procedurally generated open world.
- Fight complex turn-based tactical battles with historical equipment and brutal injuries.
- Permadeath. All characters that die in combat will stay dead – unless they return as the undead.
- All characters come with their own background stories and traits. Want a stuttering ratcatcher, a greedy witch hunter or a drunkard disowned noble?
- Character development without a restrictive class-system. Each character gains experience through combat, can level up and acquire powerful perks.
- Equipment that matters. Different weapons grant unique skills – split shields with axes, stun enemies with maces, form a spearwall with spears or crush armor with a warhammer.
- Diverse enemy roster. All enemies have unique equipment, skills and AI behavior.
- A dynamic event system with atmospheric encounters and tough decisions outside of combat.
- Three late game crises – a war between noble houses, a greenskin invasion and an undead scourge – add a looming threat along with new contracts, enemies and events.
- Two full hours of orchestral soundtrack.
- 70 Steam Achievements and Steam Trading Cards
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:23:00 pm by Greenbane »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:47 pm »

Ninjad again eh?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 98