Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211046 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #930 on: March 07, 2017, 08:49:07 am »

I tried different difficulties and eventually settled on this normal one, endgame selected to "war of nobility".

If normal is this much of a pain in the ass, I can't imagine surviving in veteran mode. I got murdered quite rapidly in my higher difficulty attempts.

Quick question:

How do you fare in the scenarios? Can you beat them all? Because I cannot for the life of me, actually manage to beat some of them. Necrosavants especially. How the hell do you counter those damn things!?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:51 am »

I play on veteran, and contract difficulty is a roller-coaster. I did two contracts back to back, one of them 3 stars, and 9 bandits of middling quality (didn't even get a single injury), the other 2-stars, half the money, and 12 bandits (a bit lower quality but with strong ranged presence.) We won in the end, but half my troop went to the reverves and my pikeneer is only alive by the grace of the gods (had 1 HP at the end, and a broken leg)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 07, 2017, 09:12:56 am »

Ouch! Yeah, fighting heavy-ranged troupes can REALLY hurt. I try to use high elevation to help, but if you have terrible luck like I did yesterday, the enemy archers will spawn on a mountain overlooking your guys with a one tile gradual walkway up and no other way there, raining hell from above. :|

Goblins, though. Dear Gods, goblins... I just rush the bastards or they'll net you, bola your shields to splinters, and fill you with arrows until you're a troupe of human pincushions.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 07, 2017, 09:29:45 am »

I play on veteran, and contract difficulty is a roller-coaster. I did two contracts back to back, one of them 3 stars, and 9 bandits of middling quality (didn't even get a single injury), the other 2-stars, half the money, and 12 bandits (a bit lower quality but with strong ranged presence.) We won in the end, but half my troop went to the reverves and my pikeneer is only alive by the grace of the gods (had 1 HP at the end, and a broken leg)

Veteran as well. Haven't dared to take three-skull contracts around Day 60+ due to dreadful experiences with two-skull ones. Sometimes you end up fighting manageable bands of brigands, but some other times you're thrown against serious orc war parties, with significant numbers of Warriors or Berserkers. In one recent case, I was sent to fight Goblin Wolfriders and Ambushers in mountainous terrain.

It'd seem there's issues with contract generation then, if a hard contract can be easier than a moderate one. In addition, contract difficulty appears to be based off the strength the game thinks your company has, which is fine if it weren't for the fact that estimation is likely off, considering how the opposition's quantity and quality grows off the charts from the mid-late game onwards.

I tried different difficulties and eventually settled on this normal one, endgame selected to "war of nobility".

I supposed that was the case, since I really didn't see you getting away with not buying equipment on Veteran plus. Improving through looting is often viable, but it generally implies defeating a superior force first. And sometimes you need parity beforehand, to prevent potentially considerable losses.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 07, 2017, 09:38:04 am »

I sort of found a workaround: used a group of archers to kill groups of bandits, or even took advantage of multi-party combat to jump in and get free kills/loot with minimal risk by using the allied party (peasants, soldiers, militia, whatever) as bait.

It was a pain in the ass, but I slowly built up stocks of acceptable armor and weapons. My second mission was those undead auxiliaries and I got pretty much all the gear I could need from that and a prior bandit encounter. Since then, I've pretty much been using the same gear, slowly improving from for example basic crap spears to boar spears, light crossbows to crossbows, short bows to hunting bows, and the like.

Nine Lives is amazing. Its the first perk I get for all characters, and it has saved me from losing a character dozens of times.

...Sure, they walk away crippled, but alive.

Hell, my best crossbowman with the 74 ranged combat skill, high initiative, eagle eye, bloodlust, and ridiculous skills now has a ruptured lung: permanent injury that severely lowers his fatigue. I think by 50%? Or was it 25... Not sure.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 07, 2017, 10:09:06 am »

I wonder if difficulty could just be a monster-attribute thing?
Veteran berserkers can wear armor. Normal Wiedergangers only rise once. Etc.

Would be basically impossible to code in this late though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:54 am »

Do you mean modding or as per design?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 07, 2017, 10:36:21 am »

I wonder if difficulty could just be a monster-attribute thing?
Veteran berserkers can wear armor. Normal Wiedergangers only rise once. Etc.

Would be basically impossible to code in this late though.

The Berserkers I've seen on my Veteran playthrough do wear some kind of bone armour, different from the Warriors' metal chassis suits.

Sort of tangentially, if you delve into the master data file, with an advanced super hacking tool such as 7zip, you can see all the contract, enemy, faction, etc. scripts in .CNUT files. Unfortunately, opening those vía Notepad++ or Sublime Text yields something that's either encrypted or just not a conventional, editable text file.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 07, 2017, 11:03:04 am »

Sorry, you are not authorized to C Nuts.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 07, 2017, 11:06:46 am »

Sorry, you are not authorized to C Nuts.

You've to be careful not to typo-swap the N and U, too.

Anyway, as far as I've read, it seems they're compiled database files, and can't be quite decompiled to be read and edited.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 07, 2017, 11:08:52 am »

Ah, damn. Hopefully they introduce a way to make modding possible. A game like this... Creating a modding community would help this game skyrocket to the heavens and beyond.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 07, 2017, 01:05:30 pm »

Ah, damn. Hopefully they introduce a way to make modding possible. A game like this... Creating a modding community would help this game skyrocket to the heavens and beyond.

Yeah. The files are really neatly organized and it's easy to navigate the whole structure, but unfortunately only the images are in an accessible format (PNG), for the moment.

It would be awesome if they were made editable by text editors, but I'm not sure just how feasible that'd be in relation to how the game interacts with its own database.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 08, 2017, 07:27:31 am »

So after playing for a while now and i have to say i am confused. What are you guys doing? I am playing on normal and take on 3 skull contracts because otherwise i cant even finance my mercenary company. And most of those i breeze through like nothing.

I don't understand how you get problems with two skulls? Well apart from goblins, those suckers i just avoid as all hell. But yeah orks are easy as hell to do. The only real problem i encountered in my games so far have always been the noble houses. Huu boy. Those Billmen heavy companies are a pain to take down and i at least suffer 2-3 casualties in each of those encounters (that counts those that are just heavily wounded afterwards). Although apparently (according to Taricus) heavy armor makes them easier, and as far as i ve upgraded my company with super heavy armor thats holdy true as casualties have been reduced and those companies feel easier to take on (although it still feels like a beatdown every time).

As far as i can see the winning combination are crossbows (due to far higher accuracy than bows), axes and hammers and as heavy armor as you can get.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 08, 2017, 07:34:20 am »

Playing on Veteran Ghaz.

And financing the company at the late game is easy; just go exploring; there's a lot of good loot off the beaten path that can easily exceed the payday of a three-skull mission.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 08, 2017, 07:42:16 am »

Wot? I never found anything overly fancy while exploring. Also is it just me or does payment scale with the kind of men you hire?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 98