Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211087 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #900 on: March 01, 2017, 10:09:47 am »

Oh yeah, Spears are amazing vs Ghouls or Youngs, Imo.

Also does anyone else keep thinking 'Naagloshii' instead of 'Nachzehrer'?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 01, 2017, 10:32:32 am »

They're even effective against the Ancient Dead. Auxiliaries, at least, whom like Wiedergangers don't seem to realize or care the spearwall's in their way and just press forward. They'll keep at it to the point their innate piercing resistance doesn't matter that much. But again, the merc's skill is crucial to keep avoiding their shields and landing hits.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 01, 2017, 11:13:02 am »

They're even effective against the Ancient Dead. Auxiliaries, at least, whom like Wiedergangers don't seem to realize or care the spearwall's in their way and just press forward. They'll keep at it to the point their innate piercing resistance doesn't matter that much. But again, the merc's skill is crucial to keep avoiding their shields and landing hits.

In all fairness the Ancient dead aren't even a big deal until their good units enter the field.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 01, 2017, 12:48:20 pm »

In all fairness the Ancient dead aren't even a big deal until their good units enter the field.

Well, no. I'd consider Ancient Auxiliaries to be just one step above Wiedergangers. I rather dread facing the more heavily armoured Legionnaires and Honor Guard, especially considering the potential combination of their phalanx and second line polearms.

By the way, has anyone encountered their mage priests of sorts?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 01, 2017, 03:00:54 pm »

Nachzehreris just weird for me, since I'm German and well the word just means "ruminant"... which really doesn't mean the same thing. Basically what cows do to grass.

I kinda like that the Ancient dead have crappy weapons, but I would have loved if they had some more epic weapons in there ranks, most garbage, some ancient artifacts.

Also, half-damaged helmets look absolutly amazing. I am considering to let some of the heavy helmets break and not repair them to keep the great look...

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 01, 2017, 03:16:01 pm »

Nachzehreris just weird for me, since I'm German and well the word just means "ruminant"... which really doesn't mean the same thing. Basically what cows do to grass.

It seems they're an actual Germanic mythological creature, its name potentially analogous to "Revenant".

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 01, 2017, 07:39:12 pm »

I am loving this game! I write game reviews for Triton XP and would love to review Battle Brothers, if that's alright. :) Since most reviewers focus on mainstream console games, I feel like its a Bay12er's responsibility to provide exposure for the roguelike and indie genres.

After dying horribly for my first few trial games, and going through each of the scenarios a few times for giggles, I finally "figured it out." I like how every new game has entirely different noble houses, towns, lore, geography, recruitable population, production facilities, and the like. I have a love-hate relationship with swamp-fighting. If you can find a little island to set-up on, and have good heater shields (+range def), you can hold the line while the enemies slog through the muck at a turtle's pace. Hope you're not fighting goblins though. :| Jesus christ on a pogo-stick, I hate goblins. I actually have a far easier time killing wolfriders than a normal pack of goblins with ambushers and such.

Also, damn you to hell, goblin shamans and those crazy ancient undead priests. Also, necromancers.

After losing horribly to a local necromancer and his 13 undead oh, 10 or so times, I finally realized I can just set my rangers at my flanks and nail him twice to completely remove his resurrection (and other !FUN! skills) from the field.

Once you take out the necro, its just a matter of mopping up with the occasional revival. See, this is why I like my guys who perma-kill/behead.

I will admit I save before recruiting (in case of horrid stats/debuffs) and only recruit people under 300-400 price, despite having nearly 10k to my name. I'm still using only what I've scavenged while hoarding all my gold. Got a few level 4-5 guys, including all my starting characters intact. :)

I'm running one bowman, 3 crossbows, and a motley crew of randoms. A few spears (spears are amazing btw), and a lot of maces, since I found a bunch of maces/flails on some ancient undead.

Mace/flail stunning is GREAT. Spearwall is GREAT. Shieldwall is VITAL. A combination of the two, if  effectively strategized with favorable terrain, can create some great kill corridors.

Getting the battle standard completely changed how I play. I now understand how crucial and useful pikes/hooks/halberds can be.

What I love most is, the AI is pretty intelligent. They counter my defenses, flank me, ambush, use high ground to their advantage, form shield walls, cavalry-charge, and much more. Together with procedurally-generated terrain, every battle feels organic.

I officially love this game!

Now, just waiting for a scifi version. ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 02, 2017, 03:12:47 pm »

I officially love this game!

Now, just waiting for a scifi version. ;)

Can confirm, sci-fi version would be absolutely incredible.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:59 pm »

I would actually really like if people were priced based on their stats; so you always know you'll get what you're paying for.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 02, 2017, 05:37:45 pm »

It seems they're an actual Germanic mythological creature, its name potentially analogous to "Revenant".

Which likely if I were to put two to two together... It might be that they are named after the "sound" or "process" of eating corpses which they do in a similar way that cows eat grass.

Sort of different I guess then the game's version that swallow people whole.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 02, 2017, 05:38:56 pm »

I would actually really like if people were priced based on their stats; so you always know you'll get what you're paying for.

I agree. Higher merc backgrounds should be more reliable, considering their asking price.

After all, I doubt a mercenary captain would hire someone purely by their looks, what they have on themselves and after merely hearing their life story. They would be tried and tested. In game terms, that means informing the player more about the would-be recruits' capabilities before making the decision to shell out your hard-earned crowns.

Considering the game likes referring to, say, enemy numbers in non-specific descriptors (Few, Some, Many, etc.), a merc recruit's background could have a paragraph describing his capabilities in a similar fashion. For instance, "Reinhard is a fiercely resolute soldier, able to deliver precise blows exactly where he needs them. His fighting technique is sound, and he can often predict his foe's next move. While he has a fair ability to dodge or deflect incoming arrows, battle quickly wears him down." Might be quite complex to come up with enough short, flavourful descriptive phrases, but it's a nice way of saying the merc in question has high Resolve, Melee Offense and Melee Defense, but average Ranged Defense and rather low Fatigue.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:53:57 pm by Greenbane »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 04, 2017, 03:52:14 am »

It just sounds wrong, like Wiederkehrer is fine, but saying Nachzehrer feels like saying "Hemoglobin tained Liquid consumer", meaning "Bloodsucker", meaning "Vampire" - technically correct, but weird. 

In myth, there corpses specifically where described to harm the living, would be intresting if that was in the game (i.e. a 1 title reach negative debuff around it or postive for his/her allies. Fades after 3 turns or if dead by head removal)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 04, 2017, 11:56:46 pm »

How does one deal with the undead, specifically zombies? I was doing well... until they started popping back up again. Fatigue slowed down my attacks and even though the undead were generally very poor shots, they eventually wore down my brothers... who then turned into undead themselves (with better gear than the original zombies!)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:58:39 pm by AlStar »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 04, 2017, 11:59:39 pm »

Cleaver guy has a skill

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 05, 2017, 12:23:47 am »

Use axes, cleavers and other such things. Cutting a zombie's head off prevents it from rising back up, and also, there's a certain trait that makes sure your soldier will always perform a fatality if possible, so one of those with an axe or a cleaver will always decapitate an enemy.

Also, the goblin halberd thing is good against them since it can apparently decapitate as well and does slashing instead of piercing damage, IIRC, so you can have a shieldwall on the front and guys on the back slashing at them. Also, as people have already mentioned, spearwalls tend to be pretty effective as the zombies as they'll just keep charging at the spears nonstop, and since they tend to be rather easy to hit, they'll keep getting pushed back.

Also, while it seems counter intuitive, use some ranged guys against them to strip their armor off so your melee guys have less trouble dealing with them.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 98