Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210959 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #360 on: May 28, 2015, 09:44:45 am »

Ow.......more greenskins!  :D What about adding trolls? They could be part of the orc and the goblin forces as well.  8)
We would so love to have enemies in the game that take up more than one tile! Unfortunately, this will require some modifications to the engine which we are a bit reluctant to take on right now. We will do it eventually though ;)

Oh I see....multi-tile creatures? Hell yeah!  8)

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2015, 03:20:54 am »

Thats a very good idea, we had something similar in mind. A bit like the first part of the char generation in Mound and Blade where you determine your background and so on.
Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 01, 2015, 04:18:45 pm »

Thats a very good idea, we had something similar in mind. A bit like the first part of the char generation in Mound and Blade where you determine your background and so on.

Whilst I like dialogue based char generation (I think it was one of the early Ultima's that had a realllly good one) - it can get a bit annoying after you've played it a few times and you just want to pick what you want. I'd suggest having it as an option, but a point based system is probably the best to start with as it: cuts down on confusion, is an easy way for people to customise their game and can easily have a dialogue based system added on afterwards.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 02, 2015, 02:21:13 am »

You are probably right about that. Thinking of Jagged Alliance it was very annoying that you had no idea what a certain answer would get you and you had to look it up somewhere. We will give the player way more info on the consequences of his choices to avoid that.
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 02, 2015, 08:27:35 am »

I bouhgt the game this weekend, and it's really good so far. Cant wait for more stuff to be added, especially new gear.

One thing I noticed tough, the game seems to have problems adequadtly rating encounters, especially for Orcs. I'd say that most strength estimates for Orcs are 1 Level off at least. "Even" usually translates to being able to win the encounter, but at loosing anything upwards 4 guys in the process.

Could be that it's supposed to be that way tough. At the point where I am, Bandits, Brigands and the like are hillarious pushovers. Undead are becoming quite weak as well, not being able  to tear trough armor and all that. A decently sized Orc-Band is the only thing that really challenges me at this point.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 02, 2015, 08:45:20 am »

You forget werewolves. Lost half my crew to a "puny" werewolf band yesterday, with help from an "impossible" militia. The Militia was nowhere to be seen.

Damn werewolves.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 02, 2015, 09:39:37 am »

I bouhgt the game this weekend, and it's really good so far. Cant wait for more stuff to be added, especially new gear.

One thing I noticed tough, the game seems to have problems adequadtly rating encounters, especially for Orcs. I'd say that most strength estimates for Orcs are 1 Level off at least. "Even" usually translates to being able to win the encounter, but at loosing anything upwards 4 guys in the process.

Could be that it's supposed to be that way tough. At the point where I am, Bandits, Brigands and the like are hillarious pushovers. Undead are becoming quite weak as well, not being able  to tear trough armor and all that. A decently sized Orc-Band is the only thing that really challenges me at this point.

That seems "even" to me...even in my mind at least means there is an even chance of winning/losing...which means if you win or lose there is most likely going to be at least a few losses. I found with werewolves you really need to stack rows...have spears up front blocking them from charging with spear wall and keeping them back a bit and when they get close you need to hit with the front row and then hit with a weapon from the back row as well to take them out quick.

If you can get someone trained up in the offensive tree with a halberd then they become nigh untouchable (as long as they are behind some brothers) harbingers of death and tend to lop off heads or at least do tons of damage with just one strike each round

Another tip is to always have varied brothers...sword and shield is great for general work but overall pretty weak...I tend to at least have one free roaming guy with a two hander. He usually waits til the engagements start and then goes to the weakest point in the fight (you don't want him able to be surrounded by 4 enemies!) and once the weak group of enemies collapses you can focus everyone on the harder clump of enemies

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:22 am »

I actually didnt have that much problems with Werewolves. Decently armored soldiers will take barely any scratches from them. And they die quickly to either focus fire or a two handed weapons.

My lineup is pretty mixed. 1 Crossbowman, 2 archers, 1 Bilgehook, 1 Axeman (Twohanded) and 1 Zweihander. Then 1 guy with a pike, another with a regular spear and shield. lastly a couple guys with shields and different weapons, like hammers, swords and axes.

Once the shieldbearers have a couple defense perks, they will tank A LOT of hits, making the way clear for the big weapons to clean it up. With the exception of Orcs, as mentioned above. They simply dont give two shites about armor. Orc Warriors will take apart even Lamellar with one hit.

And about the "even" thing. Your argument stands, but the problem I have is how "even" means completely different things depending on race. I wipe the floor with "even" Brigands, undead and most of the time, werwolves. But "even" Orcs will tear trough half my company. That's why I thought the rating could need some adjustements.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 03, 2015, 02:26:48 am »

With the Early Access the game is currently more balanced towards the early game. The late game is definitely lacking challenges and also stuff to do at this point. We have a lot of things on our list but it will take a while to get them into the game.

With the power rating: This is a very tricky thing to do. Rating the Battle Brother company is really tricky as you can not measure the skill of the player and acting tactically is actually the most important part of determining the "power" of the player. We can not measure that. Still, i agree that the power rating has to be tweaked some more and we will continue to do this over time to get the best possible results. Still, its pretty tricky ;)
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:32 am »

I guess balancing the end game content will be easier after you lads implemented the multi-tile system, so huge beasts can be added to the game like trolls, ogres, wyverns etc. etc. Creatures like those should work very well with regard to kicking the asses of our high level, armored Gregor Cleganes.  :D

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 03, 2015, 12:51:10 pm »

Given that you can't measure tactical ability...perhaps the rating system needs to not make any assumptions on that and do a rating purely based on mechanical facts. IE equipment, brother levels/skills, and numbers.

A good tactician can take a hard fight with poor odds and win just fine. A poor tactician or someone playing safe will probably have better luck when the labels simply reflect basic information based on numbers, gear, and skills

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 03, 2015, 03:42:01 pm »

Will you add the messer?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 03, 2015, 03:56:41 pm »

Given that you can't measure tactical ability...perhaps the rating system needs to not make any assumptions on that and do a rating purely based on mechanical facts. IE equipment, brother levels/skills, and numbers.

A good tactician can take a hard fight with poor odds and win just fine. A poor tactician or someone playing safe will probably have better luck when the labels simply reflect basic information based on numbers, gear, and skills

I agree with this. I view the power rating as basically a scouting report. If I'm the tactician then I'm not paying scouts to make tactical assessments for me, I'm paying them to give me the facts of the situation.

Rather than a subjective descriptor like "Impossible", I'd prefer something more to the effect of "The enemy has large numbers and superior equipment." Perhaps the description could change to be more detailed and accurate as superior non-combat scout characters are added to the company.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2015, 02:04:36 am »

Will you add the messer?

What do you mean with the messer? ;)

The power rating is solely based on your number of brothers and their level right now. With the upcoming non-combat followers we will have some more possibilities in changing the scout reports. For example having some ranger or scout could increase the information you get about an enemy party. We also thought about tracking other parties like in MB, i would love that ;)
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2015, 02:31:02 am »

That would be nice...sight range is fairly limited so hunting things can get tedious when you have no real leads or direction to look into
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 98