Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211133 times)

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #630 on: July 25, 2016, 03:23:25 am »

Unfortunatly a recent update broke the game for me. I have an integrated graphix chip tho so I guess as I understand. Still dissapointing :(

Hi there, could you check the info here and report the crash with all the details to contact@overhypestudios.com? http://steamcommunity.com/app/365360/discussions/1/618460171328085606/

That would be great!
Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 25, 2016, 03:24:56 am »

I like this a lot - could this also come with modifiers? So if one of your mercs has 'glass skull' they've got more of a chance of a head injury, whilst if they have 'strong bones' they might be less likely to get a break, but might also be less accurate. I'd imagine this might lead to some interesting situations - this guy looks great, but his glass skull might make him a liability, or that you wouldn't normally hire a lowly farmer, but as he has a strong bones and a hard head he'd be a good person to train up.

Good idea right there, we will see if we have enough traits like that so we can make them modify injury chances!
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

symonthewise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BASILEUS
« Reply #632 on: July 25, 2016, 10:04:16 am »

Unfortunatly a recent update broke the game for me. I have an integrated graphix chip tho so I guess as I understand. Still dissapointing :(

Hi there, could you check the info here and report the crash with all the details to contact@overhypestudios.com? http://steamcommunity.com/app/365360/discussions/1/618460171328085606/

That would be great!

I believe the issue is you've moved to a too advanced version of opengl for this computers graphics processor. If it would still help you, I can collect that crash info mentioned, but it might not be necessary.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2016, 03:02:08 am »

hmm unfortunately we moved to OpneGL 3.3 with the new UI : (

It would help if you could send us your dxdiag.txt to contact@overhypestudios.com and we can check if an update to your drivers could solve the problem.

How to get the dxdiag:
1. Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard (for win 8. For win xp and 7 press the “start” button).
2. You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
3. Type dxdiag in the text field
4. Click OK
5. Select “save all information”
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

symonthewise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BASILEUS
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:40 am »

Sent :)

~edit~ aaaaaand resolved! Thanks fellows.

For anyone else with a similar opengl problem, give this a shot.

* Right-click on Battle Brothers in your Steam library
* Select 'Properties'
* Select 'Set Launch Options'
* Enter '-gl30'
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:39:45 am by symonthewise »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2016, 11:58:02 pm »

Ugh.  On one hand the way this game works it feels perverse to reload games, diminishes my care for my guys.

On the other if I don't I'm gonna spend the rest of my life doing the first two fights over and over because even when I'm established and have good armor and leveled guys sometimes they all just explode and there's nothing I can do about it.

Will there ever be a feature to set up your guys before battle so you don't have them stuck in the most awkward position possible for any given fight?  I've got a mission to kill five goblin wolfriders and my archers are basically fucked because they're out in front and get run down as soon as the battle starts.
Shoes...

Rap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2016, 03:36:36 am »

You can drag & drop your men in the roster view to the formation you'd like, including putting your archers in the backline. Unless you're ambushed (i.e. being attacked on difficult terrain, like in a forest) you'll start combat in that formation.
Dev Blog - Twitter - Facebook

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 27, 2016, 03:45:06 am »

I really wish I knew that.

Also figures, as soon as I decide savescumming is okay I don't need to do it anymore.  I'm startign to hit that critical mass where my guys are tough enough to power through most basic challenges, though I'm sure the real shit is still ahead.  Cleared out a necromancer's lair and got enough money to get my guys pretty legitimately kitted out now.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 31, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »

On day 19 of my company, everything had been going swimmingly.  Our "marksman" shot out heavy axeman in the back of the head on the first fight, but we don't talk about that and aside from that all the original companions are still alive.  We mostly made our living kicking ghouls out of graveyards, unpleasant but fairly easy work.  Then I decided to take on a graveyard full of skeletons and "fallen heroes".  This turned out to be a massively bad idea, half my mercs were cut down in either the initial engagement or the retreat.  Almost my entire frontline died.  All of the remaining companions survived, but only because our pikeman semi-intentionally sacrificed himself using repel so a badly wounded spearman could escape.  We weren't even getting paid to do this, I guess on the plus side no one knew of our failure.

Anyway, long story short we left a lot of valuable weapons and experienced mercs behind on that battlefield.  But I still had a chunk of cash saved up, so I hired a bunch of tavern brawlers, fisherman, and peasants on the cheap and armed them with my old weapons that were too low quality to sell for much.  Basically paid no money at all equipping them.  We went out to clear out yet an other graveyard and it was actually grave robbers for once?  They had superior weapons but we had numbers and started on a hill.  We pelted them with bolts, arrows, javelins and throwing nets as they approached piecemeal and then cut them down one and two at a time.  The only casualty was a tavern brawler to a frankly foolish error on my part.  Anyway, after turning in that contract for a little over a thousand crowns I took a patrol mission with a decent advance payment, and now I've got two thousand crowns, some military grade weapons I took from the grave robbers, and some (very unskilled) new blood.  Time to rebuild the company I guess.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 31, 2016, 01:26:16 pm »

I haven't lost a single man yet.

.. Yes, I am a coward.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 31, 2016, 09:10:27 pm »

Just took on a contract to fight an unspecified thing that was mutilating townsfolk.  Due to a dry spell of non-traveling work, I was very low on funds and didn't think to ask for an advance, so I set out quickly to find what it was.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be direwolves, and they found me.  At night.

I never really understood the meaning of night until now.  It makes ranged weapons really, really suck.  I lost 3 people in the same flank; frustratingly, all 3 of them were killed by the same direwolf (two in one turn, and it moved to kill the second guy) that was being targeted by two people attacking as fast as they could with more than a 50% hit rate.  It dodged pretty much everything.  That's Xcom I guess.  On the bright side, I released 3 dogs of war on the other flank; they fought the enemy canine to canine with only 1 loss and took out 3 direwolves.

Now I'm down a dog and 3 mercs; from what I can tell (its difficult to tell who died and who didn't what with the repeating names and lack of info on dead people) all of them were unskilled hires from the earlier personale problems.  I'm now up 1400 crowns and 7 pelts that are supposedly quite valuable, so that's some mixed feelings.  I can't sell the pelts well since furs are produced in a nearby village.  Anyone know if I'm ever going to see the full 200 crowns those things are worth?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 31, 2016, 10:45:51 pm »

When I play I keep a doc up that lists character names, weapons, and a bit of backstory info along with when they were hired.

The game really needs an annals function or something, it's too useful and thematic not to have.

Go farther away from the woods and you'll find somewhere.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 31, 2016, 11:46:13 pm »

That makes a lot of sense.  I should start doing that. I wish I could write custom notes for each character, so I could remember what the general plan for their levelups is.  I don't know about you guys but it tends to be a WHILE in between my levelups (it's almost day 50 and I just hit my first level 5).

The description for war dogs says they can be used to harry retreating opponents so I released four of them to chase someone.  One still died.  Of course, "someone" was an orc warrior, so I guess I should be glad that ALL the dogs didn't die.  I feel kinda terrible about using war dogs but I'm willing to roleplay a ruthless merc leader.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 31, 2016, 11:49:13 pm »

Only lost one war dog to an orc warrior? That's what you call a very good mission.

Though level ups aren't that hard to get, you just need to keep your guys in the fray. That, and grab the student perk at level two. That extra 15% really helps out.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 01, 2016, 01:09:08 am »

That makes a lot of sense.  I should start doing that. I wish I could write custom notes for each character, so I could remember what the general plan for their levelups is.  I don't know about you guys but it tends to be a WHILE in between my levelups (it's almost day 50 and I just hit my first level 5).

The description for war dogs says they can be used to harry retreating opponents so I released four of them to chase someone.  One still died.  Of course, "someone" was an orc warrior, so I guess I should be glad that ALL the dogs didn't die.  I feel kinda terrible about using war dogs but I'm willing to roleplay a ruthless merc leader.

Better the dogs die than your dudes.  I think dogs are best on archers, against archers.  Have your dog-archers get on the flanks and let them loose, they'll usually head for the back ranks of the enemy if their path forward is clear.  Archers can't shoot when they're being dogged.  They're also good at late game cleanup to chase down fleeing enemies and get those heads.  Most of the money from faction missions is from heads so you don't want to let anybody get away.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:24:47 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98