Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211034 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #510 on: November 06, 2015, 01:48:34 pm »

But horses can be seen pulling caravan wagons. :P

That said, I do recognize the need for compromise for gameplay's sake, as cavalry would shake things up perhaps too much. And horses could very well not exist in the game's setting. The devs would only need to replace whatever equine's pulling wagons with an ox or similar, and poof, no horses in the world.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 06, 2015, 02:27:26 pm »

They do not seem like horses, I think they are donkeys pulling wagons. I don't think donkeys make suitable mounts for battle.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 06, 2015, 02:37:29 pm »

They do not seem like horses, I think they are donkeys pulling wagons. I don't think donkeys make suitable mounts for battle.

Donkeys are still members of the horse family. They'd have to go as well.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 06, 2015, 02:58:26 pm »

Maybe we don't get horse because they are so freaking expensive a small mercenary band couldn't possible afford to own one. Not to mention most of the time your fighting in places where horses are useless like thick woods.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #514 on: November 06, 2015, 04:25:43 pm »

Super extra relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwDpiFJEBiE

Easter egg anyone?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 06, 2015, 04:54:38 pm »

There are mounts in the game right now- goblin wolves. I'm sure horses  could work in a similar way...  :-\
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 06, 2015, 08:07:18 pm »

There are mounts in the game right now- goblin wolves. I'm sure horses  could work in a similar way...  :-\

There's a difference between a mount which fights and adds offensive power to the rider regardless of mobility, and one which is strictly speed-dependent and whose only purpose is to give the rider enough momentum to deal more damage with his weapon, otherwise being a massive liability.

Other than that, there isn't much to add to what Jaysen has already said on the subject.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 06, 2015, 11:39:45 pm »

You do know warhorse where trained to bit and kick at people? but still got to agree Jaysen, besides who wants horse when 2/3 of battles are fought around spearwalls.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

bluth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 11, 2015, 03:56:48 am »

Loving the game so far !

Just a little issue with the latest devblog, does anyone else thinks the Knights looks kinda ridiculous ?

Especialy the ones with the swan or the tower on their heads.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 11, 2015, 06:35:00 am »

Just a little issue with the latest devblog, does anyone else thinks the Knights looks kinda ridiculous ?
Knights look awesome.  8)
The odd headdress in actually a disguised boast of battle prowess- "I'm so confident that you won't land a single blow, that I wore a fragile and expensive set-piece on my head".
Right... because wearing a lion with a little finely crafted flag into a war zone completely normal.
(you can't see it, but there is, or implied to be, a smaller lion on the tiny flag)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:37:58 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #520 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:08 am »

Of course the head crests are a bit over the top and would usually be mostly worn in tournaments or prestigous processions - we still think they look pretty rad ;)

This week i have some new village screen images for you:

Dev Blog #60: Progress Update - Settlement Screens

With most of the assets for the noble houses now in place we have returned to fleshing out what you see as you enter the various settlements on the worldmap. We previously worked with placeholder images to get the mechanics down first and make sure that everything works out as planned, but now those settlements receive their final look and polish. Check it out!

Settlement Screens

The worldmap consists of a variety of different terrain and climate zones, including several new additions we introduced a while ago, and those also show as you enter settlements. As villages, cities and strongholds are located in the frozen north, buildings will be covered in snow and snowy mountains will cover the horizon.

A settlement located in the wide open steppe of the south will have a much different vibe to it, as does one high up the mountains or deep in the forest. Having settlements fit their environment helps to make the world as a whole feel more coherent, and individual settlements more like real places and less generic spots on the map. After all, entering a city in the snowy north only to see lush green meadows on the inside wouldn’t exactly help the atmosphere.

Of course all settlements will look differently during night time. The shops are closed and usually only the tavern will remain open. You will be able to spend the night there and rest until morning. Here is an example of a settlement during night time in a grassland environment.

What you can’t see from the images is that we’re also creating a whole ambient soundscape for settlements depending on both their environment and the buildings within. A coastal fishing village will have you hear seagulls, a village containing a smithy will have you hear hammering on metal, and every settlement will have the sounds of people and civilization to really make you feel that you’re in the middle of a living and breathing place.

Meanwhile, work on the all-new contract mechanics continues. Next week will see a more lengthy update again as we’ll introduce how contracts now work and how you’ll be earning your crowns in the future!

Meet us in Hamburg

If you are in Hamburg you can meet up with us tomorrow 14th of November at the “Making Games Talents” conference at the HAW Hamburg. We will be representing Overhype Studios and be talking to young people wanting to get into the game industry all day so if you are in the area or attending anyways drop by and have a chat with us!

More info here (German only): Making Games Talents 2015

Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 13, 2015, 09:25:54 am »

Looking great! :)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:55 am »

Fantastic!

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 13, 2015, 12:29:10 pm »

Loving the game so far !

Nothing wrong with them; they look splendid.

You might be surprised at the extravagant types of plumage and decorations wealthy Europeans wore into battle up until the 20th century when it all was replaced with mass-conscripted citizens clad in dull grey.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 14, 2015, 04:52:32 am »

The outlandish decorations are, indeed, out of place on a battlefield since they degrade the effect of armor. Basically, all pointy things and such mean you get stuck somewhere stupid or that a blow that would glance off might be directed somewhere else. (Like, instead of the round shape of a helmet making a blow roll off your head, a horn or something directs the strike at the middle of your head.) Outlandish decorations were used in tournament armor or ceremonial armor that was not meant to be used in actual battle. Some commanders who knew/hoped they would stay out of combat personally might have worn crazy shit to actual battlefield, though.

So yeah, I agree with the sentiment but on the other hand, it is a game so it doesn't bother me so much. Maybe it explains why lowly sellswords can beat those fuckers down; they are arrogant enough to wear impractical stuff in battle. :P
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 98