Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210761 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1410 on: July 27, 2020, 07:13:39 pm »

I think whips are the best unhold solution. Alas, they're fucking hard to find
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 27, 2020, 09:09:53 pm »

you can find them uncommonly at castles.  for the 700 gold they cost, its no biggie unless its eg
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 31, 2020, 12:34:41 am »

Very hard to find though.

I keep chudding arounf with that campaign, even though I've lost several vital frontliners characters (incl the starting archer) and their replacements got shellshocked so they are a liability of sorts (I've tried to train replacements for the replacements but both got killed off early.

So.... surviving but unstable kind of defines my company. The whip guy is also making less of a differebce than I expected..

I've bought better armor for my two more-veteran frontliners. I want to see where this goes even though I doubt my party's ability to deal with the nastier things out there.

Also, I was kind of surprised to learn the developer of the game had not heard of Darklands, given the curiously similar basic design.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 31, 2020, 03:35:39 pm »

I didn't know whips were in the game until now, so they're definitely hard to find then.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 31, 2020, 04:32:48 pm »

disarm is a whip special.  completely removes (the basic) offensive attack options for humanoids w/weapons for one turn.

also can cause massive amounts of bleed if you can hit enough to stack it.  double a cleaver at triple the range.  great for enemies you want to bleed
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 31, 2020, 08:23:58 pm »

Cultists start with one whip character, I think.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 31, 2020, 08:53:57 pm »

Yes.

They do jackshit against armor mind you, but the disarm keeps them useful against armored opponents.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 01, 2020, 12:55:22 am »

Yeah, I've found a whip/throwing character to be pretty handy. Throwing Spear for any needed anti-shield duties, the whip for disarm/bleed depending on the opponent, and another batch of throwing weapons just in case.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 14, 2020, 04:51:58 pm »

so no one has an opinion on blazing desert yet?

i am mid campaign with a 'witch hunters' themed game rn
PKs DF Mod!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 14, 2020, 07:54:17 pm »

Troy for free has occupied me, unfortunately. Also waiting for a few of the Tweaks and Fixes mods to update.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 15, 2020, 03:55:53 am »

Southern fluff is nice, arena is fun change, people are raging about some mechanical changes in the game but I don't really care since I don't min-max. I started a new game with the gladiators start and it is fun, but I assume I'll be handicapped later by the maximum amount of bros being only 12. I guess new retinues might help with that tho, I'm aiming to get a surgeon to help people recover from wounds.

Edit: The new desert biome is kind of interesting, I suppose. Movement costs lots of fatigue, which I assume represents searing heat, making heavy armor problematic if you plan to actually attack. Incidentally this favors turtling, since most desert enemies don't have ranged weapons.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:20:11 am by Majestic7 »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 15, 2020, 09:42:56 am »

Yeah, so far I've enjoyed it. Haven't gone too terribly long in a campaign yet, but I think it's good so far.

Haven't read about any of the mechanics rage, but I also don't care about min-maxing. And, whatever, they'll just find the next optimum strat in about a week anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 15, 2020, 12:49:23 pm »

There are a few nerfs that got people rage-y, but the biggest is probably the one to Indomitable.

It used to be that the perk-granted ability only cost 3 AP, which meant it was pretty easy to move+Indom, or attack (with a two-hander!)+Indom. Indomitable defense bonuses are pretty huge, with the fatigue cost being the limiting factor. But a group of Indomitable bros with mean ol' two-handers could smash through all sorts of threats quickly enough for the fatigue cost to be less limiting, and if kitted out in heavy armor they could shrug off orc warriors and unholds while doing so. That all assumes one is running with a bunch of high-level, well-geared, min-max bros. So not a huge slice of gameplay in practice, but the 'optimal' one all the same.

Moving it up to 5 AP limits both potential movement and prevents a two-hander attack + indom at the same time. (One-handed weapons will still work.) This fits a lot better with the super-tanky theme of the perk.

The nerf to billhooks is not that huge, but people are still complaining because it was (is still?) the best general-use polearm.

There's also a nerf to one of the special trinkets, which made sense as it let the wearer trivialize several different major enemy types. It's still quite powerful post-nerf.

They actually buffed a lot of underperforming weapons and perks, so on paper at least these changes seem good to me. Still haven't actually started it up recently, though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:51:41 pm by Dostoevsky »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 16, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »

mean ole barbarian thralls all targeted my chain-wielding monster of a farmer with their pointy sticks :(

Rage.  He had, like 130 hp and a total of 60 fatigue after the chain was added.  Boy was a thicc monster.....

So, now I feel like ponying up for the dlc.  will comment.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 16, 2020, 09:01:25 pm »

So previously the only mod I used was a customized  music mod.  So this is the vanilla experience for me.  I picked a generic company start, whereas Im much more used to the more draconian deserter start or the brutal cult start.  So theres a lot more money floating around and more hammers and options and cities not wanting to murderfy me.

I like the QoL touches.  The game will tell you what terrain locational fights will be in.  idk if its a result of the start differences, but the first quests seem to be easier, albiet pay less well....  probably due to the extra renown deserters start with.
  Either way, I bought 2 cheap characters and spent the rest on trade goods, in this case being wood and berries and meat.  Food is a risky trade good, since it spoils and requires a few specific event flags to be profitable.  But oh well.

Huge fan of the more varied battle fields.  one of my bigger complaints about the game would have to be how repetitive the battles can get; this helps.

on the combat screen theres a button to display unpassable and los-blocking tiles on the map.  useful.

I set the world to get with all fog of war, and the exploration part of it is nice.  you cant blindly assume a settlement is present, though there should always be 22 settlements on map.  the 19 original ones plus 3 city-states down south.  it seems that at least one tries to generate as a port city, so thats nice too.

A small side note, the range at which city add-ons can spawn seems to have been tweaked.  I saw a watchtower or three that were farther out than I thought possible, making the roads slightly safer for carts and the such.  Or maybe the game allows them to spawn on long roads, which used to be a problem for even mid-game companies to traverse.

Road networks feel more intricate, and towns might or might not be more evenly spaced over the map, which might also be a little larger.

Serpents are probably equivalent to raiders in terms of difficulty?  3-tile range billhook attack, high base accuracy, inflict stagger.  My early game party of 4 found them hard to beat, but they seemed to have more trouble than most getting through armor.  why the hell giant snakes that live in the desert we in the mountains and hunt in packs is beyond me though...

I dont really know why, but the game seems to hang more.  during world gen and when genning the new material.  Maybe its a gog thing?  Thats where I got the dlc from.

I dont give two farkes about the desert tbh.  I havent really gotten in there yet, with the game hanging too much.  But, I did enjoy all the extra stuff the game has now.  And I hope theyll release a tasteful creature pack for the future; to flesh out the fights.  Would love to see different AIs and different monsters.  Regional bandits, maybe AIs that can hotswap tactics,, something

P:  it occured to me that the hanging may be in part due to the music mod.  It appears that when the game attempts to load the new music the game pauses.  oh well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:13:27 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98