Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210755 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1395 on: July 21, 2020, 12:31:56 pm »

I rather like Legends, but yeah, it adds a ridiculous amount of stuff. A large amount of which isn't particularly well thought out or implemented. A fair amount of the new systems end up just being kinda busy work, which is one of my main complaints about the mod.

I'd like a smaller mod. One that occasionally lets you hire a magician, or get one from a random event. Or start as one I guess. But legends adds too much...

Tho Legends does have a "less magic" mode that tones down a fair amount of that stuff. Most of the magic you get access to are runes n stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:35:45 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 21, 2020, 03:35:32 pm »

But I dont want a less magic mode. I want mages without legend's bloat.

There was an old mod with recruitable necromancers. Something like thst.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 22, 2020, 07:57:30 pm »

It'd be nice if the Legends mod had a configuration where you could choose what stuff to enable/disable and have that go for everything. So if you don't want, say, the new armor layering system you could turn it off.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 22, 2020, 09:05:40 pm »

It does have configuration options for several of the main features. Magic, as mentioned above, but also it has toggles for armor layers, battle sisters, the new perk system, and also the economy system that got added like a week ago.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 22, 2020, 09:16:30 pm »

Well, maybe I'll take a look at it again. I haven't in about a year, and when I did last I wasn't super happy with the options. But they may have improved on that since then.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 22, 2020, 10:04:14 pm »

It does have configuration options for several of the main features. Magic, as mentioned above, but also it has toggles for armor layers, battle sisters, the new perk system, and also the economy system that got added like a week ago.

That sounds more like what I need... I´ll takr a look

Though TBH I´m having a blast with vanilla. It feels very... Conanesque in a way.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:48:06 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 23, 2020, 12:54:20 am »

Though TBH I´m having a blast with vanilla. It feels very... Conanesque in a way.

Especially if you pick the Northern Barbarians start.  I'd say its the second movie, specifically.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 23, 2020, 03:52:18 pm »

I mean more the setting. Pseudo-medieval, most of it low magic, but, with ruins of ancient empires populated by the undead, ancient curses, monsters, occasional dark sorcerers operating from the shadows, and hints of further mysteries farther away

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 23, 2020, 07:20:21 pm »

the best event of the game is when the player nopes out when some food is stolen.  he hears whispers taunting him from the grasses and quickly decides to leave.

the main game does a good job sprinkling tantalizing lore around.  it slowly trickles in.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 23, 2020, 11:24:28 pm »

the best event of the game is when the player nopes out when some food is stolen.  he hears whispers taunting him from the grasses and quickly decides to leave.

the main game does a good job sprinkling tantalizing lore around.  it slowly trickles in.

Or when you kill an Unhold and find in it´s body scars inflicted by something more monstruous. Or a run-of-the-mill catch brigands contract suddenly becomes waaay harder because the thieves were hired by a necromancer and you catch both parties mid deal... it´s good. It gives a feeling of liveness to the world, this trickling in.

I´m playing in beginner because even then it´s tough as nails btw. This game IS very good, but it´s hard getting in because it´s harsh, esp at the beginning.

My shieldwall, which was nigh unbeatable against bandits, is suffering from an inordinate attrition rate since I began to take noble contracts.  I´ve decided to stay away from unholds, I´ve not even touched hexes, and I´m trying to be cautious around greenskins.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 24, 2020, 09:34:39 am »

Yeah, a big part of the game is learning what strategies work against the different foes. And learning what your group can handle.
Come play Mafia with us!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 27, 2020, 12:11:25 pm »

It was a large and painful surprise to find that “shield wall” is not the fix for every enemy.

I think unholds generally cause me to start handing out bundles of javelins.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 27, 2020, 02:30:01 pm »

tank bros can sometimes come close to damn near 1v1ing unholds.

pikes   go pikes
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 27, 2020, 03:20:21 pm »

Yeah pretty much the way to deal with unholds is to tie them down with a good tank (preferably with nimble & indomitable) then surround em with pikes and pincushion them. Overwhelm or daze also helps a lot.

If your tank can't spam indomitable don't put any other bros next to the tank, else the Unhold will just toss the tank to attack the people behind him.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 27, 2020, 03:44:29 pm »

After finding a way to do some modding to reduce the difficulty some (I know, I'm weak) I'm finally having some good fun with the game.

Spoiler: My fiddling (click to show/hide)

Just had a great (well, lucky) duel with a Barbarian Chosen - my best brothers are level 5 or 6, so decent but not masters.

First attempt, I send in my founding shieldbro, who quickly and promptly gets beaten into pulp.

Second try, I send in my beggar. Solid attack, but not great everything else, specializing in daggers + overwhelm (though lacking the stamina for a sustained fight). He dodges/shields just long enough for the myriad punctures to cause the enemy champion to break morale and attempt to flee, then has to spend another 4-6 rounds slowly finishing him off. It was... probably not a glamorous duel to watch, hah.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 98