Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210891 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1155 on: December 09, 2018, 11:11:30 am »

Hexes are the worst. Not even because they charm, because they hex, and combined with ability to essentially have anything as bodyguards, it gets a bit problematic.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 09, 2018, 11:17:46 am »

Alps and Hexes you need your troops to have high resolve to beat them. If you know you're going to fight either, you may want ot buy a round of drinks at the tavern for your group.

I like that they tried to do something different with Alps, but I wish that instead of just scaling up the number of Alps, they added other creatures to screen for them. On their own, fighting them is a boring slog.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 09, 2018, 11:32:22 am »

Yeah, fighting a few alps is easy once you know how. But get too many of them and it's just a chore. They really needed something different to scale them up, since if there are too many you risk getting wiped out no matter what.

Hexes are bad, yeah. They die easy enough to arrows, though, unlike Alps. Which I think is my least favorite thing about Alp. You pretty much *have* to melee them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1158 on: December 09, 2018, 12:42:14 pm »

Alps might be annoying, but Hexes are harder to actually fight. Charm isn't the worst, but if you add in guaranteed hex (good luck with those arrows now), bodyguards (which can be alps, I am pretty sure) and that the most common quest involving those is protecting a shitty civilian that dies when you so much sneeze at him, has led me to nope out of those. I must say, the game does really teach you to hate magic users, which seems like a common trope involving no-bullshit mercenaries. Now it's pretty obvious why.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 09, 2018, 12:53:20 pm »

Got the DLC, started a new company with ironman/veteran.
The thing is, I have over 500 hours and 100% achievements before the DLC. I really like this game.

I'll see how it goes in the first fights and avoid them if it's too broken.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 09, 2018, 01:21:29 pm »

Alps might be annoying, but Hexes are harder to actually fight. Charm isn't the worst, but if you add in guaranteed hex (good luck with those arrows now), bodyguards (which can be alps, I am pretty sure) and that the most common quest involving those is protecting a shitty civilian that dies when you so much sneeze at him, has led me to nope out of those. I must say, the game does really teach you to hate magic users, which seems like a common trope involving no-bullshit mercenaries. Now it's pretty obvious why.
How are you losing the civilian?

Hex is rough, but the witch will usually prioritize charm over it, so if you have high resolve men, you can mitigate the hex use.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:31:41 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 09, 2018, 02:08:05 pm »

All my guys have  the Nine lives perk, so Hex isn't that bad. Nine lives makes your brother survive a lethal blow to the witch that would otherwise take him out.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1162 on: December 09, 2018, 03:15:49 pm »

Hex is rough, but the witch will usually prioritize charm over it, so if you have high resolve men, you can mitigate the hex use.
I'm not, but he constantly gets hexed, which just delays the fight because I now can't kill the witch. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by prioritize - it's one charm, one hex per turn, as far as I'm concerned, so your only real choice is beating your own dudes with some form of low damage club to stun them.

All my guys have  the Nine lives perk, so Hex isn't that bad. Nine lives makes your brother survive a lethal blow to the witch that would otherwise take him out.
200IQ plays, shot your brother with crossbows in the back so the witch dies.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 09, 2018, 04:07:10 pm »

I'm not, but he constantly gets hexed, which just delays the fight because I now can't kill the witch. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by prioritize - it's one charm, one hex per turn, as far as I'm concerned, so your only real choice is beating your own dudes with some form of low damage club to stun them.
Huh. For me the witch will only hex on a turn if it successfully charmed someone. As for the mark. Just have him run away as soon as you can and he'll never get hexed.
Sigtext

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 09, 2018, 04:37:41 pm »

Hexes definitely don't cast hex every turn.  Particularly early in the combat it seems pretty common for them to only cast charm. They seem more likely to cast hex the closer you get, which makes sense. Also, from what I've seen they never cast hex if they haven't also casted charm this turn.

One way to deal with hexes who keep casting hex is to drop your weapons and beat them up with your fists. This will drive their fatigue up and next turn they will use all spare fatigue casting charm, so they won't cast hex.

I also recommend walking into battle with all of your melee weapons in your bags, so if one of your guys gets charmed he won't lock everyone up with ZOC before they can act. Once you do get an action, spread out  so you don't get locked down.

Also unequip any melee weapons that may be on your archers, so if they get charmed you can just put a bro next to them and they won't be able to do anything.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 07, 2019, 10:56:41 pm »

So has anybody figured out a way to make two-handed weapons not basically suicidal?  Having a shield isn't good enough to keep you alive more than two hits, not having one is just inviting death.
Shoes...

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 07, 2019, 11:46:36 pm »

I have. I use them on one flank while the other end is a spearwall with the middle a mix of other melee weapons dependent on my enemy. I'll have three, maybe four guys in the backline (2range/2polearm or 2range/1polearm). I have the bulk of my line engage first and have my 2hander go on a flank. Preferably they don't pull anyone since they'd be engaged already, but they can go 1on2 or 3 with my builds. If the flank works well they usually cleave up the line while my shieldwall holds.

As for the guys themselves, they get my heaviest armor, and I get them a greatsword as soon as possible. The new pokin' stick is pretty solid too though. Statwise I prioritize melee attack, hp, ranged defense, and melee defense, but a high roll for fatigue or initiative is a good swap for any of them. On a phone, so I can't look up perks for minimal effort, but they definitely get collossus  (everyone does with me though), the ones that increase injury chance and damage to injured dudes, the heavy armor perk, and the one that reduces movement penalties.

Or at least that's what the perks i forgot the names of used to do? I think some got reworked and I haven't paid attention in a while because I keep actually forgetting about changes having happened >_>

Regardless, my company always has one or two 2handers in the field with at least one reserve, but unless I get an unlucky arrowfilled early game my starting 2hander tends to be the last alive, with the others filling in when he's injured.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:01 am »

two-handers tend to be pretty weak in the early game (though the goedendag makes em a lot better)  as so much of your survivability is based on your shield. They get a lot ( a lot a lot a lot a lot) better in the late game, as you're survivability becomes less about shields and more about armor and natural defense. Also a properly built two-hander out-damages any other archetype handily.

So in other words you keep em alive by putting them in plate mail and have ~30 natural defense on them. Also one classic strategy (though it got nerfed with B&E) is to use quickhands with a shield in the bag to swap between the two-hander and the shield.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 08, 2019, 07:59:59 am »

My rule of thumb is to not drop the shield until the brother picks up Underdog, Footwork and Battleforged. Which is like level 8 minimum.
You also need a 250+ armour and enough fatique to comfortably wear it.
This usually allows a bro to go toe to toe with an orc warrior.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 08, 2019, 10:33:48 am »

Eh, I use them from the start but situationally. Depends on what we're fighting and what gear I have. Mostly, you just have to be careful with them and not rush them out. I keep mine in the back row for most fights and move them forward when/where they will be most helpful. Giving them the high ground is a must, if you can, so they get priority on that if it's limited.

Perk-wise, I tend to go Recover, Colossus, Rotation, Brawny, Underdog, Battle-forged, [Weapon-spec], and then usually berserk or the like. Maybe the one that gives them bonus defense when they attack. Depends a bit on how I'm using them and what weapon I have them using.

I do like the shield/swap plan and do that a lot if I'm fighting bandits or other archer-heavy enemies.

Other option early game is to give the two-handers to trash grunts that you don't care if they die. I'm not really fond of throwing away lives like that, so I don't do it often, but it can be helpful on occasion.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 98