Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210913 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1140 on: December 06, 2018, 06:40:11 am »

You think assured is victory against stick, for stick is small next to personal largeness.

But stick wait for opportunity.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 06, 2018, 07:23:16 am »

Iirc if you can hit a goblin, you're doing at least half it's health.
So I'd say spears, bows and cleavers.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 06, 2018, 07:56:27 am »

I rely on mobile greatsword dudes and archers for killing foot gobbos.
Goblin riders are devastated by spearwalls and polearms. Also archers.

It's really hard to have a company which is reliably strong against all sorts of foes, hence I tend to give most mercs at least two combat roles for versatility.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 06, 2018, 09:12:17 am »

The general consensus is to stay away from goblins in the early/mid game.
They are hard to hit, very accurate and capable of dealing a surprising amount of damage. Also, they like to use puncture with their notched blades, so there's a high chance of injuries.
They can also poison your bros and immobilize them with nets.
And that's not even counting shamans.

On top of this, they drop a pile of worthless garbage. So generally you put yourself into a very annoying and potentially deadly fight for very little reward.
The same terrible annoyance-to-reward ratio carries into the late-game as well, so I tend to avoid them as much as I can.

One thing to note is their jagged pike. It's the only polearm in the game with a 5AP basic attack, so you can pull out some nice tricks with them. I always keep a few jagged pikes around.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:45 am »

Longaxes cost two grands and aren't reliably available, though. Not even all weaponsmiths have them for sale. I've seen only one during my entire campaign.
Haha, I bought back the one I'd just sold after seeing this post. I didn't realise they were rare. >.>
A very niche weapon, though.

Niche? Long Axe is one of the best polearms in the game. High damage, decent against armor, and can break shields. Only thing it lacks is the bonus to hit that pikes get.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 06, 2018, 10:48:31 am »

Longaxes cost two grands and aren't reliably available, though. Not even all weaponsmiths have them for sale. I've seen only one during my entire campaign.
Haha, I bought back the one I'd just sold after seeing this post. I didn't realise they were rare. >.>
A very niche weapon, though.

Niche? Long Axe is one of the best polearms in the game. High damage, decent against armor, and can break shields. Only thing it lacks is the bonus to hit that pikes get.

It is very niche. It's niche to have one around when you're fighting the mince who are eating your cheense.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1146 on: December 06, 2018, 10:56:54 am »

They'd be less mobile, though. Also if goblins are that small how are they a threat to armoured human soldiers? ???   
Individually they are less of a threat than humans. Isn't that why they use bolas, nets, poison, ranged weapons, mounts, and superior numbers to make up for it?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1147 on: December 06, 2018, 11:10:59 am »

I also play this game. I wish the 18 Battle Brothers mod got fixed already.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 06, 2018, 10:45:51 pm »

Urk. I would like to buy and play this DLC, but I have a feeling I would be frustrated by the rubber banding of the world the same as before, which makes iron man such a pain. I know I should stop thinking of it as a sim, and just save-scum like I would with X-Com, but there are so many sim-like elements that it just gets me all conflicted.

I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 07, 2018, 06:01:53 am »

It's definitely enough of a simulation game as any of the games on Steam categorized as such.

Heck, it probably even counts as Survival Horror by that metric...

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 08, 2018, 09:06:45 am »

In respects to the world though, it warps around your existence, spawning things if you are about, and scaling things relative to your level.

By comparison, the world of Kenshi is a true simulation. If the Battle Brothers world followed the general approach used in Kenshi I would be in heaven.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 09, 2018, 02:44:20 am »

They'd be less mobile, though. Also if goblins are that small how are they a threat to armoured human soldiers? ???   
Individually they are less of a threat than humans. Isn't that why they use bolas, nets, poison, ranged weapons, mounts, and superior numbers to make up for it?

They have extremely low HP, low morale (they are all conscripts lorewise), and their armor may as well be paper, even on high-ranking ones like Overseers. Hence, they play all the dirty tricks they can to win.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 09, 2018, 05:00:18 am »

How is it going against the Alps (one of the new monsters)?
I see a lot of rants on the steam forum, wich seem to be justified by the description provided. Basically they are reporting very annoying fights that can lead to a party wipe with no possible retaliation in some scenarios.

I think I'll hold the purchase until they tweak these creatures. BB is my most played game on steam and I don't want to ruin it with a broken gimmick.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 09, 2018, 06:28:03 am »

You don't need to fight Alps unless you want to. At least I've been able to avoid those contracts since the first time.

Fighting them is not that difficult, but it takes a lot of times. Basically they kite you and you need to chase them down one at the time, while microing the placement of your troops and having a lot of dogs. That is annoying since it isn't that interesting and takes like 30-60 minutes per fight in real world time. So I prefer not to do it.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 09, 2018, 10:50:03 am »

Yeah alps are pretty unfun to fight. Had a battle again 9 in swamp at night a couple days ago. Took me like an hour of trudging around, moving 1 tile a round to win.

That being said, they are pretty avoidable, and quite easy to actually fight. Also all the other content added by the dlc is pretty great, so I would still recommend it.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 98