Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210907 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1125 on: December 03, 2018, 11:23:42 am »

Yeah, I'm with you. Attacks of Opportunity and the Zone of Control system is fine, you just need to learn to use it to your advantage. And to learn the techniques to minimize the effects on your own troops.

Sometimes it causes me to lose people, sure, but more often than not I'm the one using it to cut down enemies who would otherwise escape.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: December 03, 2018, 12:11:26 pm »

If you decapitate a zombie, it doesn't raise again, with or without necromancers.

Regarding control zones, I guess you can build your team to scare enemies on purpose with fearsome and whatnot, then enjoy your attacks of opportunity on them. Too bad half of the enemies are immune to morale.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: December 05, 2018, 06:44:20 am »

Just used a warbrand for the first time. Holy heck.
A few of my veterans were injured after defending a town from a huge bandit assault, so I basically just... slapped a heavy pile of chainmail on a new recruit (with the 'huge' trait, incidentally), handed him one of the weird-looking two-handers I'd looted somewhere along the line and let him go to town.
He got four kills in his Fisher Price: My First Brigand Hunt. Two of them with his first swing of the battle. :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: December 05, 2018, 08:06:02 am »

I think i’ve always been so willing to savescum that I’ve missed out on the most important part of the late game, which is trading out your fisherman and farmers for sellswords and hedge knights.

I wonder if that would give me a better time dealing with the various crises.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: December 05, 2018, 08:40:34 am »

If you decapitate a zombie, it doesn't raise again, with or without necromancers.
Necromancers can raise headless zombies. Especially annoying when they revive fallen heroes.

There's a new meta about raising 2H-ers with nimble instead of battleforged due to the changes to both. Armor add-ons sweeten the deal with things like arrow resist or better armor:fatigue ratios, so 2H-ers have a bit more survivability early on; which is a good news considering higher tier armor is a bit harder to obtain.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: December 05, 2018, 11:55:37 am »

Oooh, I'll have to try that. Been liking the Goedendag a lot early game, and have really been wanting to set up some good two-handed flail users.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: December 05, 2018, 12:47:02 pm »

Considering the amount of supernatural enemies in the DLC, I wish we had some anti-supernatural things. Stuff like making the undead subject to morale or something, even if they were one use items. But that's just me being salty about armored skeletons that make archers useless. (other than reducing their attack skill with overwhelm.)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 05, 2018, 05:34:48 pm »

Considering the amount of supernatural enemies in the DLC, I wish we had some anti-supernatural things. Stuff like making the undead subject to morale or something, even if they were one use items. But that's just me being salty about armored skeletons that make archers useless. (other than reducing their attack skill with overwhelm.)
When you know you'll be fighting skellies equip your archers with longaxes and bandages. They don't need a very high melee skill to reliably break shields. In my games this tactic brought my archers from useless to invaluable when crushing undead shieldwalls.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: December 05, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »

Longaxes cost two grands and aren't reliably available, though. Not even all weaponsmiths have them for sale. I've seen only one during my entire campaign.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: December 05, 2018, 06:54:46 pm »

I've never bought any. You usually collect them eventually after fighting bandits long enough.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 06, 2018, 04:05:20 am »

I feel no shame savescumming to goblins because they are well-and-truly broken.
Not only do they have insanely high initiative, fast movement, bonus attacks, you have to kill them twice, and your dudes suddenly forget entirely how to use their weapons when confronted with them... they also get even harder to hit when dismounted?? Wtf, how does that work?
And of course I'd only fought them once before and foolishly picked an ambition that involved wiping out goblins, so it'll probably take me a friggin' week given how many times I have to redo what ought to be an easy fight. ::)   

Longaxes cost two grands and aren't reliably available, though. Not even all weaponsmiths have them for sale. I've seen only one during my entire campaign.
Haha, I bought back the one I'd just sold after seeing this post. I didn't realise they were rare. >.>
A very niche weapon, though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:18:39 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1136 on: December 06, 2018, 05:22:59 am »

they also get even harder to hit when dismounted?? Wtf, how does that work?
Because a goblin is a smaller target than a goblin riding a wolf?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: December 06, 2018, 06:01:26 am »

They'd be less mobile, though. Also if goblins are that small how are they a threat to armoured human soldiers? ???   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 06, 2018, 06:19:45 am »

They'd be less mobile, though. Also if goblins are that small how are they a threat to armoured human soldiers? ???   
The same way daggers can bypass armor values!

And they wouldn't be less mobile, they'd be less fast. But they'd be more agile, since they're no longer stapled to a dog. A person on foot has a lot more control over fine movement than a person on horseback.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 06, 2018, 06:32:29 am »

Are you serious? Obviously wolf-riding is unrealistic to begin with, but that's an established goblin "thing" for some reason so I guess the silly choice of mount is handwaved.
But since they're apparently tiny little garden gnome-sized creatures (with super strength), you should be able to reach down and stab them pretty easily. Hell, if they're small enough to warrant such difficult to-hit values the average person should be able to just draw back a foot and punt them. :P

Also I have now encountered other types of goblins besides just wolf riders. Starting to think I might have to just start a new game, since between their barrage of poisonous ranged attacks (which at least makes sense, unlike all these other issues) and being near-impossible to hit, there isn't a lot I can do with any strategy.
I doubt even fleeing will work given their high initiative, but I guess I'll give it a shot before giving up on the game entirely.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 98