Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jurassic Park  (Read 2133 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Jurassic Park
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:29:08 pm »

Sadly, this game will not involve anyone being eaten by dinosaurs. Largely, this is a game about stopping people from getting eaten by dinosaurs.

As we all know, or at least those of us who have read/watched Jurassic Park, the titular park failed largely because they failed to have solutions of any kind to some major problems. Naturally, fans have been thinking of ways to run the park "better" than Hammond. This is a game of finding such ways.
At the beginning, we have what passes for a park, with a few basic problems having solutions. There are, however, still some unsolved problems. It's your job to solve them!
Each poster posts a realistic, "practical" solution to a problem present, and another problem that comes up, either due to the solution or due to something else. They also copy-paste the list of problems and solutions from the previous post, for convenience.

A few rules.
1. Yes, scrapping the project and instead working on some other application of biotechnology would solve pretty much every problem they had. But what fun is that solution? Try to stick relatively within Hammond's design goals.
2. Stick to semi-plausible solutions. You don't have to stick to the tech Crichton could have written into the novel, but including automated laser turrets or AI systems is a big no-no. Magic is even more so.
3. Have fun, or else this game will not be fun.
Tautological punishments are the best.

Park not ready for opening.
Spoiler: Solved Problems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Existing Problems (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Jurassic Park
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:35:11 pm »

We have satalight phones(or at least in the second movie.) so setting up tracking tags like those used on birds isn't too far ahead of tect levels.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:43:25 pm »

sell dinosaur food and dead dinosaurs as human food
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:47:02 pm »

Train dinosaurs to fight each other, sell footage on pay per view.

sell dinosaur food and dead dinosaurs as human food
Sell any left over skulls and teeth online.

(the surfer with a shark tooth necklace is a joke next to the man with a t-rex tooth one)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 05:48:01 pm »

Current dinosaurs "boring," unlikely to attract audience
No way to track dinosaurs
Dinosaur corpses are difficult to dispose of and slow to rot
No food is available for humans
Customers will have nowhere to sleep

Current dinosaurs "boring":
Aquire more DNA-Samples - as in, get more amber, from whatever sources we can

Dinosaur corpes difficult to dispose:
Set up a butchery - those bones ought to be worth quite the penny, and we can use the meat for natural feeding of carnivoures later on. Or solve the "no food for humans" problem...

No food is available for humans:
Get us a small to medium-ish trading vessel - it will do for buying the groceries, and other misc tasks that might crop up.

Customers will have nowhere to sleep:

We... still have time to solve that one yet, right? I would think this to be a rather "down the line" task. Else, get some building materials with afforementioned trading vessel here. And some cheap labour too!

Tracking - solved by scapheap / +1 to his method

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:33:52 pm »

We... still have time to solve that one yet, right? I would think this to be a rather "down the line" task. Else, get some building materials with afforementioned trading vessel here. And some cheap labour slaves too!
then build thatched huts.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 07:45:30 pm »

I assume we have Site B as well? Did the prion disease already start?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:48:46 pm »

When engineering new dinosaurs, use DNA from frogs that CAN't switch genders.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 07:50:03 pm »

In fact, don't use frogs at all. Just stick to the bird and lizard dna you were using.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:53:47 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 08:15:44 pm »

Current dinosaurs "boring," unlikely to attract audience
No way to track dinosaurs
Dinosaur corpses are difficult to dispose of and slow to rot
No food is available for humans
Customers will have nowhere to sleep

Current dinosaurs "boring":
Aquire more DNA-Samples - as in, get more amber, from whatever sources we can

Dinosaur corpes difficult to dispose:
Set up a butchery - those bones ought to be worth quite the penny, and we can use the meat for natural feeding of carnivoures later on. Or solve the "no food for humans" problem...

No food is available for humans:
Get us a small to medium-ish trading vessel - it will do for buying the groceries, and other misc tasks that might crop up.

We... still have time to solve that one yet, right? I would think this to be a rather "down the line" task. Else, get some building materials with afforementioned trading vessel here. And some cheap labour too!

Tracking - solved by scapheap / +1 to his method
+1

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:26:38 pm »

((Power problem is not solved, i'd say.))

Import building materials and build a backup power system in case the first one goes down.

Also, make sure to have weekly and monthly backups of the computer system and a secondary computer system, just in cas ethe first one gets compromised.

(Seriously, having neither of these is astonishing, as they would be there in real life. You always have a backup system.).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:28:13 pm by kahn1234 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:37:01 pm »

Import building materials and build a backup power system in case the first one goes down.

Also, make sure to have weekly and monthly backups of the computer system and a secondary computer system, just in cas ethe first one gets compromised.

(Seriously, having neither of these is astonishing, as they would be there in real life. You always have a backup system.).
"Not having a backup" is its own problem. And, well...have you seen/read Jurassic Park? "Backup" was a word not particularly prominent in their vocabulary.

And, um, I suspect I did not make the intended nature of this game clear. You know those simple games where one person posts something, then someone else posts something? Like corrupt-a-wish and rate-the-avatar-above-you and stuff? This was supposed to be one of those.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45:31 pm »

"Not having a backup" is its own problem. And, well...have you seen/read Jurassic Park? "Backup" was a word not particularly prominent in their vocabulary.

And, um, I suspect I did not make the intended nature of this game clear. You know those simple games where one person posts something, then someone else posts something? Like corrupt-a-wish and rate-the-avatar-above-you and stuff? This was supposed to be one of those.
Oh I thought it was a complex building game or some such.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:50:38 pm »

Nowhere near that...

8)

...complex.

...Sorry.
Sig

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28:25 am »

Am I the only one that wants a complex building game version of this?
Pages: [1] 2