Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Argos - Turn 6: Rescue mission is a go (2d6 Sci-fi RtD)  (Read 6961 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Argos - Turn 5: Manual control engaged. (2d6 Sci-fi RtD)
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »

((The pressure does not appear to be ripping us apart now- the main other danger seems to be the explosive decompression honestly.))
((You don't know much about vacuum, do you?
No, explosive decompression isn't an issue...but non-explosive decompression is. Rapid changes in ambient pressure are bad for people and other organisms. To start, water will boil with no air pressure, and that's bad for the mucous membranes. There's...also other bad stuff that I'm cursing myself for not remembering, but going rapidly from normal air pressure into vacuum can't be any better than "rapidly" going from deep underwater to normal air pressure--and that can kill people easily.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »

((Before you patronize me, I was talking about in-game. I know how pressure works in the real world, but I was referring to the fact that we've not had such issues in-game. Anyway, we're breathing so I assume it's not a total vacuum, and that the air pressures equalized somewhat. What are you advocating to do, anyway, kill two characters off this early in?

Besides, if I'm not mistaken you have spacesuits. Things designed to keep the negative effects of pressure from slaying you, yes?))
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:53:42 pm by Powder Miner »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2014, 02:02:17 pm »

((The pressure does not appear to be ripping us apart now- the main other danger seems to be the explosive decompression honestly.))
((You don't know much about vacuum, do you?
No, explosive decompression isn't an issue...but non-explosive decompression is. Rapid changes in ambient pressure are bad for people and other organisms. To start, water will boil with no air pressure, and that's bad for the mucous membranes. There's...also other bad stuff that I'm cursing myself for not remembering, but going rapidly from normal air pressure into vacuum can't be any better than "rapidly" going from deep underwater to normal air pressure--and that can kill people easily.))
((If you want a way to think about this that will fit well in an understanding of pressure grounded in reality, just pretend the issue is that the partial pressure of O2 is low, while the partial pressure of N2 is such that no physiological damage is done through effects related to total pressure. That seems to me to be what is happening.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2014, 02:02:29 pm »

((Before you patronize me, I was talking about in-game. I know how pressure works in the real world, but I was referring to the fact that we've not had such issues in-game.
((Yeah..I have a bit of trouble not using real-world logic in games ignoring such logic. For bonus points, use real-world logic to discuss how the logic-ignoring stuff should work!))

What are you advocating to do, anyway, kill two characters off this early in?

Besides, if I'm not mistaken you have spacesuits. Things designed to keep the negative effects of pressure from slaying you, yes?))
((If we had space suits, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The GM specified we only had masks.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2014, 02:03:12 pm »

((...bonus points for Samarkand. Except, wait, the decompression wouldn't occur if the gas had the same number of moles in total as the previous air.))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2014, 02:11:18 pm »

((...bonus points for Samarkand. Except, wait, the decompression wouldn't occur if the gas had the same number of moles in total as the previous air.))
((I only said that the partial pressure of nitrogen gas was such that there were no total pressure effects on our physiology, it could still have been low enough that there would have been fairly violent decompression; there is a fair range of pressures that can be withstood by humans. ;) ))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »

((Aye, that's what I'd suspected earlier.))

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2014, 04:58:38 pm »

Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 02:42:34 am »

Spoiler: Air pressure, etc (click to show/hide)
((Accepted. I'm not imposing a strict limit of 6 active players; I'd be comfortable with as many as 10. However, the group will need to go out and recruit people ICly. If they meet any NPCs that are particularly cooperative, then I'd be fine with letting waitlisters control them, too.))
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:50:12 am by Malus »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2014, 08:27:27 am »

((Wait, I thought the hangar was open to space.))
Sig

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 08:46:46 am »

Get internals, and wear them. Wait patiently for the shuttle to launch.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2014, 08:57:21 am »

"right, yeah, you lot just sit back for now, I'll try and see if I can't do something from this console."

Put on my internals, then see if I can open the hatch from this console and If I can manage the shuttle's pressure systems from the console. Alternatively, and even better, see if I can't repressurize the hangar and maintenance from this console, somehow. Just see if it's possible, don't do any of these, yet

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2014, 08:57:55 am »

"Of course. I am leaving it in your capable hands."

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2014, 09:31:54 am »

Argos: Turn 5.5
Bert slides his oxygen mask over his face, then turns back to the consoles.
"Now if I can just remember how to access the shuttle pressure controls," he mutters under his breath, scanning across the countless gauges, meters, and displays.
He spots a 'life support' reading in the corner of the gigantic touch-screen and taps on it, bringing him to a simple menu where he can adjust all of the shuttle's life support systems, including oxygen mix (presently 21%) and internal pressure (presently 100kPa). There's even an option to equalize the internal pressure to the detected external atmospheric pressure -- doubtless useful when landing on alien worlds. External sensors suggest the escape hallway's pressure is 22.9kPa. Because of the significant pressure imbalance, the shuttle's hatch has been locked, but the lock can be overridden if necessary.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2014, 10:17:59 am »

"Okay, guys, I can manage air and pressure, but only inside the shuttle from here. Who's up for opening the hatch, pulling those two in here and then normalizing everything again?"

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7