Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Come share Epic Siege and Titan experiences!  (Read 3002 times)

pumpedupjellos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Come share Epic Siege and Titan experiences!
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:37 am »

Let's hear about everyone's experiences with the most epic sieges, forgotten ones, megabeasts and titans they've encountered, how they tackled them and how horrendous fun it was!

Remember to use spoiler texts when narrating your adventures so readers are not faced with a wall of text  ;)

Here's an account of my goblin siege as recorded by the late Urik Zozrigoth, esteemed bookkeeper of Nazusharban, the Blood Fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:08:47 pm by pumpedupjellos »

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Come share Epic Siege and Titan experiences!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:18:51 pm »

Sounds like a hard fought battle. How did you avoid a fatal tantrum spiral after losing ~30 dwarves at once?

pumpedupjellos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:07 pm »

Sounds like a hard fought battle. How did you avoid a fatal tantrum spiral after losing ~30 dwarves at once?
I couldn't, but it was partly ameliorated by a huge graveyard of empty coffins I built earlier to preempt mass ghosting and hysteria. Things got better as the new migrant waves brought fresh faces, untouched by the war and the fortress slowly rebuilt itself. I think productive migrants appearing after a harsh winter and excess food and booze to tide their misery were key to surviving the tantrum spiral

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:48:30 pm »

A bronze colossus came and one of my soldiers decapitated it with a spear, whatever. It became a statue of a goblin.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:26:00 pm »

I once had a fort with an army of 15 recruits, and they've been training for a month or so. I decided to test them out on a human caravan. 2 minutes later my 32 dwarf fort was turned into a 2 dwarf war zone. Nothing survived. Except the human caravan. They left unsatisfyed.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:34:51 pm »

I once had a fort with an army of 15 recruits, and they've been training for a month or so. I decided to test them out on a human caravan. 2 minutes later my 32 dwarf fort was turned into a 2 dwarf war zone. Nothing survived. Except the human caravan. They left unsatisfyed.

What equipment did they have?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 07:59:19 pm »

a forgotten beast made of mud came into my fort, but it had deadly dust. One of my best marksdwarves fought it and killed it, but the dust gave him full body necrosis, causing him to lose his sight. he currently wonders my fort as a doctor.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 09:45:09 pm »

Forgotten Beast gets 'stuck' in one of my hallways, too close to a door to destroy it.  I chain a dog downstream of it, and proceed to build a bridge behind it, after attaching the chain to a lever somewhere else.  Close up the bridge, release the dog.

Did I mention this was a reanimating biome?

Said dog runs into the FB, and dies a horrible death.  The head and body are separated.

Krypto, the super undead dog head, proceeds to battle the FB for over a year.  If pulping existed, the head was long gone... but it doesn't yet.  It has only one tooth left in its head.  The FB proceeds to repeatedly destroy it, only to have it spring back to life nearly immediately.  I'm not sure it truly ever died.

After gnawing with gum and tooth on the FB for what seemed like eternity, there's bits and pieces of the FB lying around the floor... and now Krypto, the super dog head, having nowhere else to go... is just hanging out where I'd boxed in the FB that wouldn't move.  I think I'm more afraid of my own superweapon now than I was of the FB...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 11:54:03 pm »

My favourite was my first human siege. I hadn't found out what makes humans actually path towards your fort, so they just camped on the borders of the map. But since they were completely static, that allowed my miners to dig out the floor under them, dig a trench all around the squad from below and eventually cave in the field the humans stood on. The only way out was heavily trapped, and after a while, they were all caged or chopped to bits. This was in my no-military fort, and i found it a very nice piece of dwarven ingenuity. And i turned the sinkhole into a neat "outside" statue garden (roofed over) for growing aboveground plants, beekeeping and of course heavy-duty partying.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:26:26 am »

Not so epic, but i recently was reminded of the fact that webber-titans are in fact trapavoid.
Especially funny when your defense against a zombie-infested horde of goblins in a zombifying-cloud tundra consists of cage traps and a weapon trap in the migrant-access tunnels.

Zombie-webber-tundra-titan ended my fort.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Thief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 05:18:15 am »

Goblin siege and human siege and for fun i forced a dwarven siege fit an army for War my troops dies save 1 but my War axes killed them all
Remind me never to leave you in charge of a fort that requires basic math to survive.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 10:04:13 am »

What equipment did they have?

Silver shortswords. And leather armor. This was my first military...
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »

morderkaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 05:31:24 pm »

The Inferno of Glory - or - Why my Military only carries water

My fort had recently dug down into a large cavern complex deep underground, and my first FB appeared!
It was described as a giant fire spitting ant, effectively.
Since my fort was built around a central stairwell, I sent my two squads of dwarves, marksmen and axe warriors down the stairs to head it off before it got up into the living quarters. About 10-12 in total.
They confronted it in the 2X2 stairwell, and the fight was going rather well. Dwarves were dodging fireballs, hacking at the FB. One severed its trunk, it was covered in axe wounds, and when it looked like the battle was won I stopped paying close attention.
Next thing I know, Im getting messages that dwarves are dying! I start investigating and see all but 1 member of my military just died in explosions.
What happened was the dying FB's last attack was a fireball that hit one of my Dwarves and ignited the barrel of rum he was carrying around on him in preparation for a drink during break. This started a chain reaction causing all but one dwarf's barrels of rum to explode killing every thing in the stairwell except for the one crossbow dwarf who was out of range yet rather traumatized by seeing his entire squad explode before his eyes.
Immediately, and for all forts after that - Military set to carry water, no booze, while on duty.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 05:31:39 pm »

This is less Epic and more Amusingly Horrible, but I had an experience with a Brush Titan, Sanad, a great horned serpent with a stinging tail - for those of you keeping track at home, that's three body parts (fangs, horn, stinger) that were capable of delivering a blister-inducing poison.

My fort was still in its early days - Sanad was the first non-goblin enemy the site had faced since embark. Most of the population lived in small, open bedrooms near the manually-irrigated underground farms. Those areas of the fort were not yet building-destroyer-proofed, so once the Brush Titan smashed his way in, all hell broke loose. His first move was to break the floodgates that controlled the irrigation system - the sizable cistern then gushed out, knocking several farmers unconscious and filling the upper levels of the fort with a few feet of stagnant water.

The (inept) Fortress Militia was quickly mobilized, only for Sanad to bite off the commander's arms, spitting the left one out at a high enough velocity to cave in the second-in-command's skull. At this point, poisoned dwarf blood was rapidly contaminating the groundwater, but thankfully only ingestion activated the syndrome, so the surviving farmers were safe. Sanad retreated into the cistern as I sealed off the upper fortress and began re-arming the remaining hammerdwarves.

...until, of course, Sanad smashed the other set of floodgates, letting the nearby river flood the fort. This, in turn, allowed the blood-contaminated water to seep into the well, which was the only drinking source the sealed-in dwarves had. Most died pretty quickly from suffocation(?), but a few survivors already drank before the farms were walled off remained. The next in-game month or so was devoted to watching the incredibly macabre game of hide-and-seek they were playing with Sanad as they waded through the floodwaters soaked with the gore of their fallen comrades.

Then they died, and Sanad killed everyone else. I reclaimed with seven Marksdwarves and shot Sanad in the face. Go team dwarf.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.
Pages: [1] 2