Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Political Pollster Dwarf Job  (Read 824 times)

Protesilaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Political Pollster Dwarf Job
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:54:31 pm »

Based on today's Current Development post, I was thinking it could be interesting to have a "Pollster" type position.  That way you can see what the Dwarves in your fortress are worried about, or want completed as a group, rather then dealing with complaints a little at a time.  This could incorporate things like wanting a place to worship (I know there isn't one yet) when a particular religious group gets large enough or building up a bigger army because there is a lot of fear about goblin attacks.  I don't know if your Dwarves can actually fear the player, so they could actually lie if they think the hand of god is being a bit mean and dropping bridges on people and drowning then.  Maybe if there is a lot of "accidents" the dwarf will be fearful of the player.  If the pollster is menacing they could lie and say everything is great and not give accurate information.

Anyone else think this might be a good idea or is it just me?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Political Pollster Dwarf Job
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:45:37 am »

There's really no need for a new position for it, just let the mayor/expedition leader do it. He doesn't really have all that much to do anyway.

As for the dwarves somehow fearing the player, that feels a bit too meta to really work unless it's actions that can be blamed on the government of the fortress, and then it should be the nobles taking the blame imo.

Crimson Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:58 am »

I agree with  Manveru Taurënér, considering the mayor already has to listen to the citizens problems and console them, the best choice would just be to take it a step further and make all  that information available to the user in one convenient location.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:59:26 am »

I agree with  Manveru Taurënér, considering the mayor already has to listen to the citizens problems and console them, the best choice would just be to take it a step further and make all  that information available to the user in one convenient location.
Preparing the report will give the mayor something to do in his/her Decent Office.  The question is where in the interface should this report appear?  Should there be some sort of status report attached to each noble?

A status report from the militia commander would provide some useful troubleshooting information.

Militia Commander Urist McFodder reporting.
Press letter for details:
a - 4 of 16 scheduled militia members trained this month.
b - 2 of 28 militia members have a complete uniform.
c - 6 militia members are currently off-duty due to injuries.
d - 3 of 4 squads have no standing orders.
e - 2 civilian alerts have been defined.

Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:02:04 pm »

That would be nice to have that idea in the game for new comer like me who has to check a lot of time the wiki to get used to the game while some report or advice in game will be better imo for immersion/role play or did I miss that option ?  :o
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:04:38 pm by Chaos17 »

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:04:13 pm »

Preparing the report will give the mayor something to do in his/her Decent Office.  The question is where in the interface should this report appear?  Should there be some sort of status report attached to each noble?

A status report from the militia commander would provide some useful troubleshooting information.

Militia Commander Urist McFodder reporting.
Press letter for details:
a - 4 of 16 scheduled militia members trained this month.
b - 2 of 28 militia members have a complete uniform.
c - 6 militia members are currently off-duty due to injuries.
d - 3 of 4 squads have no standing orders.
e - 2 civilian alerts have been defined.

This would be tremendously useful...I can see another command available from the nobles window for many of the existing positions to give a summary of the population in their area.  Other things that immediately spring to mind:

Expedition Leader / Mayor -
"- 11 citizens are unhappy due to tattered clothing.  4 citizens are unhappy about the lack of tables in the dining room."

Sheriff / Captain of the Guard -
"- I am investigating 3 unsolved murders; I have a witness statement for one of them.  I have jailed 6 dwarves in the last year for failing to meet production quotas. 4 dwarves are currently confined.  2 of them are starving and dehydrated.  All 4 of them are unhappy."

Chief Medical Dwarf -
"- 3 dwarves are in the hospital with injuries.  2 are stable and should heal within a month.  1 is suffering from multiple infections and is unlikely to survive the week.  I have supervised medical procedures to 35 dwarves this year.  Of these, 16 are fully healed, 5 have permanent injuries but are functional with crutches, 3 are still in the hospital, 2 have permanent injuries that prevent them from working, and 9 have died."

Manager -
"- 17 work orders are currently in the queue.  11 of these are being actively worked; 5 can't start due to missing materials, and one can't start due to a lack of assigned dwarves."

Bookkeeper -
"- Our stocks of stone and iron are increasing rapidly.  We are nearly out of prepared food and tetrahedrite ore.  We have consumed all of our drinks."

Crimson Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:32 pm »

This would be tremendously useful...I can see another command available from the nobles window for many of the existing positions to give a summary of the population in their area.  Other things that immediately spring to mind:

Expedition Leader / Mayor -
"- 11 citizens are unhappy due to tattered clothing.  4 citizens are unhappy about the lack of tables in the dining room."

Sheriff / Captain of the Guard -
"- I am investigating 3 unsolved murders; I have a witness statement for one of them.  I have jailed 6 dwarves in the last year for failing to meet production quotas. 4 dwarves are currently confined.  2 of them are starving and dehydrated.  All 4 of them are unhappy."

Chief Medical Dwarf -
"- 3 dwarves are in the hospital with injuries.  2 are stable and should heal within a month.  1 is suffering from multiple infections and is unlikely to survive the week.  I have supervised medical procedures to 35 dwarves this year.  Of these, 16 are fully healed, 5 have permanent injuries but are functional with crutches, 3 are still in the hospital, 2 have permanent injuries that prevent them from working, and 9 have died."

Manager -
"- 17 work orders are currently in the queue.  11 of these are being actively worked; 5 can't start due to missing materials, and one can't start due to a lack of assigned dwarves."

Bookkeeper -
"- Our stocks of stone and iron are increasing rapidly.  We are nearly out of prepared food and tetrahedrite ore.  We have consumed all of our drinks."

Yes! Especially the bookkeeper one. I would find it nice if maybe someone could say, " Hey boss, you know how you want us to make 30 steel serrated blades? Well we only have 8 coal left available, better think about getting some more." Of course not that specific, but you get the idea.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:55:08 am »

Eidrie : oh my, that's totatly what I'm wishing for!

1.Militia commander could maybe tell us what equipement does his unit lack/need ?

2.Expedition leader/Mayor could tell us what improvements that the fortress may need ?
This is more a suggestions for newbie like me who has so much to learn and had to check guides all over the internet.
Simple suggestions like
- "we have animals that could be butchered, we can build a butchery if we he have a cook".
- "we have frozen water, we could melt it with magma."
- "we have wood craft but elves merchants don't like them' (wait it's more for broker, lol)

Anyway, that will nice to have "advices" or "reports" because the game is so deep that's is hard to understand and use everything.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 07:56:31 am »

Eidrie : oh my, that's totatly what I'm wishing for!

1.Militia commander could maybe tell us what equipement does his unit lack/need ?

2.Expedition leader/Mayor could tell us what improvements that the fortress may need ?
This is more a suggestions for newbie like me who has so much to learn and had to check guides all over the internet.
Simple suggestions like
- "we have animals that could be butchered, we can build a butchery if we he have a butcher".
- "we have frozen water, we could melt it with magma."
- "we have wood craft but elves merchants don't like them' (wait it's more for broker, lol)

Anyway, that will nice to have "advices" or "reports" because the game is so deep that's is hard to understand and use everything.