Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This game is moving...

too fast for me. Contracts should be longer, more drawn out.
- 0 (0%)
at just the right pace. Keep doing what you're doing
- 4 (66.7%)
too slowly. There's too much time where not much is happening
- 2 (33.3%)
slowly at times, quickly at others. (Explain what you mean)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: Roll for Hire - OOC - Room for a Ghost  (Read 27674 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll for Hire - OOC - Room for a Ghost
« Reply #270 on: June 19, 2014, 04:48:31 pm »

This opportunity is available to anyone at all who is interested.
Alright.
Name: Murderous Wraith
Race: Ghost
Class: A ghostly one, probably.
Description/Bio: A malevolent spirit hell-bent on using power harvested from mortal life force to cause havoc.
Yes you can double character, if no waitlisters apply. However, the earlier restriction to Froggy still applies: keep your characters out of each other's business. Other than that, I'm game. :) Give it the weekend to see if any waitlisters show.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 19, 2014, 04:53:12 pm »

Rest assured, if my ghost was in the same room as my character I would have one less thing to control.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 19, 2014, 05:00:48 pm »

Rest assured, if my ghost was in the same room as my character I would have one less thing to control.
Are you gonna cause enough trouble I'll have to make a contract to take you out?

Contract 7: Ghosbusters
My Area

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 19, 2014, 05:02:39 pm »

Well, my plan was to try and insert the ghost as a main villain...

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2014, 05:07:03 pm »

Well, my plan was to try and insert the ghost as a main villain...
I was actually thinking of adding classes to ghosts, as they level and get related skills. I'll have those developed by the end of the weekend so you can pick whichever one sounds most villainous. I don't know about "main villain", since the whole concept of the game is a bunch of separate quests, but it could definitely end up being a significant enemy.
My Area

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2014, 04:34:48 pm »

Turn mostly written, will probably post it either early tomorrow or late tonight. Sorta wanna give scap a chance to change his action.

Goals this weekend (if my other hobbies don't consume too much time):
Traveler's Guide to Altera (Every City and Town listed with points of interest, any particularly notable villages, etc.)
Lore section on demographics
Lore section on religion

Feel free to add to this list.

Also, 56 hours until I'm forced to let Remuthra wreak havoc in spectral form.
My Area

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2014, 05:26:48 pm »

I'm still confused about how people know about ghosts. I mean it's more likely that magic is just unstable and bismuth bronze just stabilizes or anchors it. The only way ghosts could be discovered would be if one gained the ability to manifest and was willing to explain. Also you say bismuth bronze repels ghosts. Does that mean that if you got a ghost to enter a stone room with it between two layers of stone and closed the door they couldn't get out? I'm just curious about ghosts in general but those questions specifically.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 20, 2014, 09:41:19 pm »

I'm still confused about how people know about ghosts. I mean it's more likely that magic is just unstable and bismuth bronze just stabilizes or anchors it. The only way ghosts could be discovered would be if one gained the ability to manifest and was willing to explain. Also you say bismuth bronze repels ghosts. Does that mean that if you got a ghost to enter a stone room with it between two layers of stone and closed the door they couldn't get out? I'm just curious about ghosts in general but those questions specifically.
Know about is a rather strong phrase. Think of it this way: unexplainable things were happening, bismuth bronze made them stop. Dozens of explanations were proposed, but suggestions of malignant spirits have frequently caught the attention of humanity through its history, and it did so here. Other explanations became less popular, but they theoretically exist. It just so happens that saying it was a ghost is true here.

Yes, a ghost could be theoretically trapped in bismuth bronze. Perhaps the best approach to Remuthra's plans. :)

Any other ghost questions? All lore questions help clarify my thinking and enrich the world.
My Area

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2014, 11:05:19 pm »

I have some mechanics questions:
Can I talk to Rachael?
If I de-possess during sleep, and re-possess before she gets up, can I have night time adventures?
Am I actually able to see ghosts?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 20, 2014, 11:22:51 pm »

I have some mechanics questions:
Can I talk to Rachael?
If I de-possess during sleep, and re-possess before she gets up, can I have night time adventures?
Am I actually able to see ghosts?
You, my dear friend, are an oddity that requires me to evoke all sorts of cop outs. But hopefully they'll sound legitimate enough. :)

Rachael was in a state of near death when you possessed her. She was, in fact, mostly dead. She is alive enough to sustain that body for short periods of time in your absence, so yes you can leave her and come back, but now, she cannot talk to you. It's almost like she's permanently comatose.

You are able to see ghosts, because you retain limited powers. You cannot steal energy in the form of manatic charges, but that is merely because you have a body now, which allows you to collect the energy more naturally. You do have access to your crystal, and you have the ability to perceive other ghosts. If you developed more ghost skills those would also be active in the body, provided they don't relate directly to manatic charges (their collection or maintenance). And likewise your living skills are maintained as a ghost, they are just utterly useless until you are in another body.

All of this being said, possession is not something I want to encourage on a regular basis. It is challenging to write in that sort of addition to the group in any RP friendly way, and this game is still centered on the group. If there is ever a sister game running and you want to commit your ghost to that game, that's fine, but the ghost would then be inactive in this game (unless you made a character in a sister game and then brought them into this game, yes I'm looking at you Froggy). In general, with possessions, I will not be offended if you ask, and if it doesn't sound like its a way to bypass the waitlist, and it won't require me doing an immense amount of work, I'll likely allow it. This aspect of the game, however, is always done at my discretion.

I hope that answers your questions. If it doesn't, try asking again! I'm sure if I ramble frequently enough your question will be answered. Its a statistical inevitability. :)
My Area

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2014, 11:40:42 pm »

Well, you luckily answered them with the first try. Thanks a bunch!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 21, 2014, 12:10:27 am »

Are liches their own beings or are they like ghosts who possessed a dying person and never got around to healing the wounds in return for using magic still?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 21, 2014, 08:54:10 am »

What is the extent of a ghosts power? I mean what would a "level one hundred" ghost be able to do?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2014, 11:25:44 am »

Are liches their own beings or are they like ghosts who possessed a dying person and never got around to healing the wounds in return for using magic still?
Hmmm... Excellent question...

To my mind, trying to combine current lore with most of the fantasy lich description, liches are ghosts, that have achieved great powers, that create phylacteries, using special crystals, that allow them to take over a completely dead body, which gives them more complete access to their powers than sharing the body with a mostly dead person, as My Name is doing. Then they reinhabit their old body. This gives them the most access to undead powers, while also acting as a form of immortality. They gradually use any number of herbs, surgeries, and magics to reconstruct their body to a less decomposed form, but their flesh is permanently marked by its time spent dead.

Feel free to criticize this. I'm open to revising it. No liches known in the world yet, so this lore is stuff that will come up later. I'm writing religion in soon, and it could also relate to that if you think this is a bit of a stretch.

What is the extent of a ghosts power? I mean what would a "level one hundred" ghost be able to do?
A very well developed ghost could have any number of abilities. Because there has been a lot of interest in this subject I'll add it to my to-do list to flesh out the idea further, but I had at one point drawn up a number of classes. One was focused on controlling people, not through possession but more of manipulation. Another was an anti-mage, focused on sapping the strength of mages and neutralizing them. The third was a mage, focused on crystal related abilities and maintaining a large number of charges. The final was a combat based one, using crystals to give itself a limited manifestation that allowed for some direct combat.

These trees could all be fairly fully developed, meaning experienced ghosts could lead cults of followers, devastate manatic enemies, wreak havoc with their own magic abilities, or become some sort of ghoul that fights.

Again, as always, thoughts are welcome. This project will be lower on my to-do list, so theres plenty of time for you guys to critique this idead.
My Area

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2014, 11:45:24 am »

On a different note, where do ghosts come from?

And maybe ghosts can only gain about twice as much power as they did in life? Like, a peasant may be able to be above average as a ghost but a hero who became one is near godlike.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24