Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Game Over! Town win!  (Read 77919 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1!
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2014, 03:51:52 pm »

PFP
Missed a bit
Hey Darkpaladin109, I don't think we ever did get to hear your reads on other players? Would you share those with us please.
Yeah, I don't really have any "reads" on anyone.
What do you really have?
Everyone: What is your favorite subject in Mafia? Favorite notion to talk about?
What do you not understand about Forum Mafia? What about your least favorite notion?
I don't get what you're trying to ask me here? Care to clarify?
I ask about the ideas in Mafia. The subject being the notions thrown about which intrigue you. The notions mean the ideas which people generally regard as acceptable or something to base on.
Still, the second-last question are easy to answer. :)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2014, 04:02:52 pm »

Hey Darkpaladin109, I don't think we ever did get to hear your reads on other players? Would you share those with us please.
What do you really have?
Everyone: What is your favorite subject in Mafia? Favorite notion to talk about?
What do you not understand about Forum Mafia? What about your least favorite notion?
I ask about the ideas in Mafia. The subject being the notions thrown about which intrigue you. The notions mean the ideas which people generally regard as acceptable or something to base on.
I don't really have anything, since I'm not really good at reading people, mostly since I'm afraid that I'l accidentally lynch a cop or townie, or something to that effect. That's pretty much the reason why I'm hestitant to post as much as the others.

I don't have answers for most of those questions. I think I understand most of the rules, if that's what you're asking.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2014, 04:03:43 pm »

Day 1 Continues...

[1] LARD: Tiruin
[1] darkpaladin109: Persus13
[1] Graknorke: mastahcheese
[2] Epichighfive321: LARD, TheDarkStar
[1] Persus13: Epichighfive321

Day 1 will end Thursday 12:00 PM MST in approximately 22 hours.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:05:12 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2014, 04:05:05 pm »

What do you really have?
I don't really have anything, since I'm not really good at reading people, mostly since I'm afraid that I'l accidentally lynch a cop or townie, or something to that effect. That's pretty much the reason why I'm hestitant to post as much as the others.

I don't have answers for most of those questions. I think I understand most of the rules, if that's what you're asking.
Why do you fear accidentally lynching a cop or townie?

You don't have answers for what you don't understand, then?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »

Because I fear that the others will suspect me of being a Scum and lynch me in return. I propably just have to get used to Mafia.
And yes, I don't have answers for what I don't understand.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »

Because I fear that the others will suspect me of being a Scum and lynch me in return. I propably just have to get used to Mafia.

The reason that it's a good idea to vote even if you could be wrong is that inaction will always result in a loss. You'll be fine and not seen as scum (a general term that means Mafia or its equivalent along with other people who are against the town like Serial Killers) as long as you have well thought out reasoning (including lots of quotes so people can see what you are talking about). Also, make sure to respond to what people ask you about - refusing to answer questions is scummy because it means that you have something to hide. As town, you should have no problem saying things. Lurking (not posting very much) unless excused by real life and active lurking (only posting useless or near-useless things) tends to also be seen as scummy because it means that you want to be unnoticed. Town also should have no trouble with this, since saying things is usually the only thing you can do.

About the questions that you are unsure of:

Favorite subject/favorite notion: What is the thing about mafia and what is the thing you best like to talk about in it? (two questions there)
Least favorite notion: What do you dislike the most about forum mafia?

The ICs can probably explain this better, or at least provide some authenticity to what I said.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
  • What?! I've never even heard of 4chan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »

This is pretty much how i feel too but i already screwed up and played the game like a guessing game. i'm not gonna give up though.
Insert something that would make you think I'm clever here

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2014, 05:53:17 pm »

[1] Are you intentionally missing the point of the argument? The point was that you claimed your response was based on town, when the question I asked, the one you responded too, was entirely about scum. So no, that's not regarding town at all. This is about the third time I've clarified this, and you continue to change the subject.
No, I'm not intentionally missing anything. The statement about having already "slipped up" (the part you've been asking about) was in reference to me playing as town and showing my gross lack of knowledge of night action mechanics and spelling conventions, because that's what I was doing. Otherwise, it would be an outright confession of being scum, and that makes no sense to do.

As for that "convince me you're town thing" you asked for, I went back and found a couple of quotes from or about myself, with some explanation for why they're there.

This was a bit of a trap for you,4maskwolf because I gave you a way to escape my question, namely the gamestarter excuse. The fact that you used it shows that you neither thought very long about your response, nor had an original answer of your own. That is making me even more suspicious of you. So it was a trap, Not a very mafia-specific trap, but a trap nonetheless.

It isn't all that scummy, because it just shows that the answerer doesn't think the question merit's much thought. If they clarify themselves later on, that is scummy because they are giving a rehearsed answer and not the impulsive one the question was aiming for.
These two statements contradict each other very nicely. On the one hand you're lashing out at 4mask for not having an answer prepared, and in the next breath you're defending your own vague answers by saying that it's bad to have prepared your answers.

So, LARD, care to explain this dissonance? Not able to keep track of the different threads of the conversation while trying to also keep them in your favour, perhaps?
I was considering voting for Graknorke, as he is jumping on me for accusing 4mask,
If I am scum and somebody is attacking me, I probably will attack them. It looks suspicious and I generally look suspicious when I play these games.
Okay, I'm starting to appreciate those gamestarter questions from earlier on.
So LARD, you're explicitly avoiding an action you have said would make you look suspicious? That's pretty scummy in itself.
And your reason was way off anyway. I didn't jump on you for accusing 4mask, it was for holding two differing viewpoints. And then you clarified your answer, but you still seem to be making a suspiciously specific conclusion as to why I was pressuring you, even though I stated otherwise. It's almost like you think I think you have something against 4mask. Care to explain why?

Well firstly I think I did a pretty good job tripping LARD up with something here. It was genuinely scummy and I followed the trail for as long as I could until LARD stopped responding, at which point there wasn't much I could do.

Then there were some pretty well-written posts I made explaining my thoughts on certain matters and how people were acting in a way that's at least a bit helpful to other people.
Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)
The answers weren't guarded or built up with excuses, they were open and honest. With these types of questions there's all sorts of ways I could have twisted the truth to make lynching certain people more justifiable (I think it was Persus13 voting for me at the time), but I didn't. Instead I stuck to what I thought and stayed on LARD.

There isn't too many more posts to go on after that, because it wasn't long before you started on me and we proceeded to talk past each other for half the thread.
But there is a bit of statistics:
Also, a lurker tracker update for those of you who care:

4maskwolf: 23
darkpaladin109: 5
Graknorke: 32
LARD: 8
Mastahcheese: 16
Persus13: 12
Solymr/epichighfive321: 4/10
TheDarkStar: 19
Tiruin: 17
And I know that you've read this thread recording that the player with the highest post count is, statistically, very unlikely to be scum.
Yes, I know that statistics don't really prove anything, but they're not completely meaningless either. There's a reason why higher postcounts mean someone is less likely to be scum, and it's because town players are more prone to actively posting to get answers from people, while scum are more passive and defensive, only posting when posted to.

That wraps up what I picked up from a quick run-through of my posts. Now, onto other people...

Epichighfive, completely ignoring me is not a good thing. It doesn't look any better than when LARD did it. It makes it seem as though you're deliberately trying to avoid either drawing attention to me or from me. Neither reflects well on you. Neither does just saying that you agree with my opinion either. Copying other people is a fairly prominent scumtell, and you can't get much more copying than saying you have the same thoughts as another person.
And LARD, you never did explain that. Why you excluded me from your 'reads' list. It wasn't a rhetorical question.
Darkpaladin, you are never going to get anywhere if you're scared of lynching the wrong person or of being lynched. This is my first game also, and the best analogy I can think of is getting into a swimming pool. You have to jump in and flail around a bit until you get your bearings. So go on, get some reads, refer to the scumtells list in the OP if you want, question someone on something. Just do something, because lurking around isn't helping anyone.

And earlier I unvoted but that doesn't seem to have gone into the count. Just making sure.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2014, 06:07:02 pm »

And earlier I unvoted but that doesn't seem to have gone into the count. Just making sure.

If there are problems with the vote count be sure to point them out.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2014, 06:18:13 pm »

Alright, I'm going to unvote Graknorke. I still don't believe that you're town, but I've effectively exhausted my list of things that I can continue to press you on, now that you've answered the last of my questions, and taken the time to try to convince me.
But if EHF turns out to be scum, if he's lynched, then you'll have some major explaining to do on his read on you, as I pointed out earlier. Because that looks far too much like scum buddying for me to ignore.
And for the record, yes, I've read about the statistics, but I also refuse to put stock into them, because it would be a trivial matter to skew them to your needs.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2014, 07:38:57 pm »

Tiruin - Despite voting for me I'm gonna say he's a stand up guy, neutral lean, I think aggressiveness means he thinks I'm scum, It's not hard to tell.
*She. :P

Graknorke - No reason at all to believe scum
Mastahcheese - Fairly neutral, if anything I agree with Graknorke and he is leaning townie
Despite their dueling you see no difference in either?
...I didn't check behind that much-though will do later due to busy-ness.

Persus - I don't think he is giving false tips or helping us falsely, but I do think he seems to give off a scum vibe, with his position as IC I don't think anyone would look to him.
Isn't this against what you said earlier? That, and implied, he would teach by being dastardly scum?
If a vibe-what set it off? Brevity?
His position as an IC has no difference from your position as a player--it is a term people like alluding to because we are known to be experienced, yet we still learn from you as you learn from us.
I fail to see the mystique of the IC.
Sorry, I clearly was unable to tell your gender.

Are you going to respond to the other 6 questions and comments?
Alright, let's try to clear up this mess.

To the bickering of Mastahcheese & Gark, people can argue with each other, it doesn't mean I agree with either of them.

And about Persus, no, my read does not contradict what I previously said, I never said he was giving false advice. I get the IC thing and that part isn't what causes me to think anything.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »

Everyone who has been reading my exchanges with Tiruin, Am I not explaining things properly? because from my point of view it seems like she is deliberately misunderstanding me. Don't worry if you skimmed them, and don't bother reading them if you don't feel like it.

Now I will start pressuring my vote because it seems like the original hullabaloo has died down.
Tiruin I think you are ready. Yes, here it is. The number one reason I suspect you, is because if I had picked the right two, and you and epichighfive were the mafia, you would be doing your best to sully my name. I do not see your points in accusing me and I fail to see how you can misunderstand and misquote me so badly. I will give you an example.

However,
But the clearest evidence was when he pointed the FoS at me.
THIS dictates personalism moreso than anything else. Just because he FoS'd you (and an FoS at that), while it can be implied of his intent, does not necessarily speak of any malevolent intent towards you--you state the root cause being that, being the 'clearest evidence' as if its damning in itself to do such contrary to anything else.

This takes one of my posts and makes it clear to me that you misread of my background saying it was not personal (quoted below) and that my reasons were not of revenge but of behavioral analysis.
Sorry Solymr, I couldn't find the question to which you were referring. That link led me to my post.  But what I do find odd is a reference to a bandwagon without you being suspicious of the other bandwagoners, only of the guy who accused others of bandwagoning. You are defensive and supportive of a dogpile, without joining it yourself, why?
In addition, tell me what you think of Tiruin

Solymr You are not fishing very hard for information, seem unacceptably ambiguous,
LARD: pretty much everything he says points to scum.
, and above reasons.

On your scum reads: I see a sense of personalism there. Is there anything wrong in FoS'ing you?
Know that the vote is more sticking than not--due to that personalism I see. For what reason is there for you to suspect those even poking at you? Are you on the impression that, if your role is a townie, those attacking you would suffice suspicion?
Attacking me does not in itself warrant suspicion. It is the dogpiling on an easy target that happens to be suspicious, and a half-hearted reluctant FoS on the easy target was more so.  There is no personalism here, just my play style and writing style.
There is only one reason I can see that you, a seasoned mafia player, would respond in such a manner. And that is that you are mafia.

As for my previous four reasons, they are wrapped up in the above. My intent right now and for my last few posts, has been to make my intent clear to you.  But if you are using the strategy outlined above, I don't see the point.  As for my motive, I have called out my scum pair, and what I have seen so far supports my hypothesis.(In my mind) My motive right now is to try to get a scum lynch on day 1. I think it is Epichighfive, but I would support a popular vote on you as well.  I welcome your attempts to convince me otherwise, but try not to confuse me.
Eagerly awaiting your reply.

Well firstly I think I did a pretty good job tripping LARD up with something here. It was genuinely scummy and I followed the trail for as long as I could until LARD stopped responding, at which point there wasn't much I could do.

Graknorke I have made my position clear to you in these posts, right? If you have questions, I'll try to answer them.
I was considering voting for Graknorke, as he is jumping on me for accusing 4mask,
If I am scum and somebody is attacking me, I probably will attack them. It looks suspicious and I generally look suspicious when I play these games.
So LARD, you're explicitly avoiding an action you have said would make you look suspicious? That's pretty scummy in itself.
And your reason was way off anyway. I didn't jump on you for accusing 4mask, it was for holding two differing viewpoints. And then you clarified your answer, but you still seem to be making a suspiciously specific conclusion as to why I was pressuring you, even though I stated otherwise. It's almost like you think I think you have something against 4mask. Care to explain why?
When I said I would attack them, I meant that if I was mafia I would night-kill them because due to the heavy suspicion on me, I could pass it off as the mafia trying to put suspicion where it was easiest.
No, I just wanted to know why you jumped at me so early, and I thought that my accusation of 4mask was the likely reason. It was my habitual defensiveness again

Hello LARD.
Time for me to go into lecture mode.
Alright, first of all, jokes are rarely noticed as such.  Emoticons or [joke][/joke] makes it very clear that what you say is a joke.  I have learned this recently, when something I thought was an obvious joke was misinterpereted as a scumtell.  But with that aside, do note that most people play mafia VERY seriously, to the point that I've seen some comments in the older games from '09 with comments that verge on personal attacks.  Just remember that.

On another note, I move to establish an idle banter thread on this subform.  All in favor?
4maskwolf I would not move to start an idle banter thread.  It could only lead to information being missed. Is it acceptable to do a lot of banter and stuff in post game?

Now, Epic high five.  I want to know a few things.
1. Why did you think I was suspicious?
2. Why did you claim to have read the previous pages and not know that Tiruin was a "she"?
3. What do you think of Tiruin?
4. What is your favourite ploy by the mafia?

I have said some harsh things about you in preceding posts, and I want you to know that you are appreciated here. (more so because you took the spotlight of suspicion off me) :P
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2014, 08:49:30 pm »

I understand where you are coming from, DP.  But the thing is, you just gotta go out there and do it.  You learn by playing, and if you get lynched once, you laugh it off and join the next game.  That's my philosophy.

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2014, 08:54:24 pm »

Everyone who has been reading my exchanges with Tiruin, Am I not explaining things properly? because from my point of view it seems like she is deliberately misunderstanding me. Don't worry if you skimmed them, and don't bother reading them if you don't feel like it.

Now I will start pressuring my vote because it seems like the original hullabaloo has died down.
Tiruin I think you are ready. Yes, here it is. The number one reason I suspect you, is because if I had picked the right two, and you and epichighfive were the mafia, you would be doing your best to sully my name. I do not see your points in accusing me and I fail to see how you can misunderstand and misquote me so badly. I will give you an example.

However,
But the clearest evidence was when he pointed the FoS at me.
THIS dictates personalism moreso than anything else. Just because he FoS'd you (and an FoS at that), while it can be implied of his intent, does not necessarily speak of any malevolent intent towards you--you state the root cause being that, being the 'clearest evidence' as if its damning in itself to do such contrary to anything else.

This takes one of my posts and makes it clear to me that you misread of my background saying it was not personal (quoted below) and that my reasons were not of revenge but of behavioral analysis.
Sorry Solymr, I couldn't find the question to which you were referring. That link led me to my post.  But what I do find odd is a reference to a bandwagon without you being suspicious of the other bandwagoners, only of the guy who accused others of bandwagoning. You are defensive and supportive of a dogpile, without joining it yourself, why?
In addition, tell me what you think of Tiruin

Solymr You are not fishing very hard for information, seem unacceptably ambiguous,
LARD: pretty much everything he says points to scum.
, and above reasons.

On your scum reads: I see a sense of personalism there. Is there anything wrong in FoS'ing you?
Know that the vote is more sticking than not--due to that personalism I see. For what reason is there for you to suspect those even poking at you? Are you on the impression that, if your role is a townie, those attacking you would suffice suspicion?
Attacking me does not in itself warrant suspicion. It is the dogpiling on an easy target that happens to be suspicious, and a half-hearted reluctant FoS on the easy target was more so.  There is no personalism here, just my play style and writing style.
There is only one reason I can see that you, a seasoned mafia player, would respond in such a manner. And that is that you are mafia.

As for my previous four reasons, they are wrapped up in the above. My intent right now and for my last few posts, has been to make my intent clear to you.  But if you are using the strategy outlined above, I don't see the point.  As for my motive, I have called out my scum pair, and what I have seen so far supports my hypothesis.(In my mind) My motive right now is to try to get a scum lynch on day 1. I think it is Epichighfive, but I would support a popular vote on you as well.  I welcome your attempts to convince me otherwise, but try not to confuse me.
Eagerly awaiting your reply.

Graknorke I have made my position clear to you in these posts, right? If you have questions, I'll try to answer them.
When I said I would attack them, I meant that if I was mafia I would night-kill them because due to the heavy suspicion on me, I could pass it off as the mafia trying to put suspicion where it was easiest.
No, I just wanted to know why you jumped at me so early, and I thought that my accusation of 4mask was the likely reason. It was my habitual defensiveness again

Hello LARD.
Time for me to go into lecture mode.
Alright, first of all, jokes are rarely noticed as such.  Emoticons or [joke][/joke] makes it very clear that what you say is a joke.  I have learned this recently, when something I thought was an obvious joke was misinterpereted as a scumtell.  But with that aside, do note that most people play mafia VERY seriously, to the point that I've seen some comments in the older games from '09 with comments that verge on personal attacks.  Just remember that.

On another note, I move to establish an idle banter thread on this subform.  All in favor?
4maskwolf I would not move to start an idle banter thread.  It could only lead to information being missed. Is it acceptable to do a lot of banter and stuff in post game?

Now, Epic high five.  I want to know a few things.
1. Why did you think I was suspicious?
2. Why did you claim to have read the previous pages and not know that Tiruin was a "she"?
3. What do you think of Tiruin?
4. What is your favourite ploy by the mafia?

I have said some harsh things about you in preceding posts, and I want you to know that you are appreciated here. (more so because you took the spotlight of suspicion off me) :P
Alright, always glad to help.
1.I voted for you to see if it would spill more information out of you.
2.Must've missed it.
3.Don't really have a reason not to trust her, maybe something I missed might lead me to think otherwise, but nothing I read.
4.This is my first game and I have only read two other games.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2014, 09:00:19 pm »

I'd like some elaboration on my questions, please, particularly #1 and #3.  And good on you btw, you've come down to earth after your first posts.  Something I just figured out, as this is my first game here as well, is that people like elaboration and detail, short or vague answers are often seen as scummy. Anyway, you're doing better than me at the beginning of the game, I managed to get 3 ppl jumping on my head. :P
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31