Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Game Over! Town win!  (Read 77984 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1! 1 Replacement Needed
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2014, 06:30:07 pm »

Extend.
More thorough post coming, but Persus hasn't gotten back to me and nobody has asked me questions.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1!
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2014, 06:43:45 pm »

Day 1 Continues to Continue...

[3] LARD: Graknorke, Tiruin, TheDarkStar
[1] darkpaladin109: Persus13
[1] Persus13: 4maskwolf
[1] Graknorke: mastahcheese
[1] Solymr: LARD

Day 1 has been extended to Wednesday Thursday 12:00 PM MST.

I should read the rules at some point. Extensions are 48 hours.

You realize that we don't really have any limits on extensions, right?

There are only two extensions per day.

Jim: Could you mark who asked for an extension in your votecounts? Thanks!

Yes.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2014, 06:57:54 pm »

Hey Darkpaladin109, I don't think we ever did get to hear your reads on other players? Would you share those with us please.

OMGUS has a negative connotation. Do not use it as anything in casual chatter. Why are you and he talking about these promises as of late? There are guarantees wherein you'd both be ending up doing something? (ie vote)
I know that it has a negative connotation. But he really did promise to OMGUS me shortly after I voted him.
I have to go now, but I'll tell you now that Graknorke is my next target.
...That doesn't necessarily mean OMGUS. Saying who his next target is, means that he has some sort of suspicion on said target.
Did you inquire about the matter with him?
Didn't need to, he'd already acknowledged that my attack on him was legitimate and that he "deserved to be pressured" for it.
I was considering voting for Graknorke, as he is jumping on me for accusing 4mask, but his concerns are legitimate and I deserve to be pressured for that one.
This is a confession that he didn't have a legitimate problem with what I was pressuring him over, so the only conclusion I can draw from that is that he wanted to vote me for pressuring him at all.

Actually 4mask, could you elaborate on Mastahcheese's tunnel vision? I referenced your mention of it in a recent post, but I don't have much to go on besides that you said it.
How does it tend to manifest? Because I gave a quick skim through the last BM and couldn't see anything from him I would describe as tunnel vision.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2014, 07:18:38 pm »

He just tends to hyper-focus, from what I've heard.  I personally did not watch the previous bm too closely after I died or before I arrived, but I'm pretty sure that he himself referenced it in another active game.  From what I can tell, it is a lesser version of the Tooney Tunnel.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2014, 07:29:23 pm »

For the record, I didn't miss Solymr's question, I just posted my last post in a rush and left that off.
For the ICs: if you were scum and people told you who they think that's going to get killed, what would you do?
I personally think that scum could use that info to get the town into a massive WIFOM and drive everyone nuts.
I would go after dangerous town players regardless of what people said, but I'd try to NK someone unexpected if possible.

Quote from: Persus
I plan to keep a close eye on Graknorke, Solymr, Tiruin, and you, especially, for closer scanning, and as possible scum suspects. My reads I gave to Mastahcheese and my thoughts on the current dogpile on LARD are already stated.
Why these particular four, may I ask?
Mastah seems fairly town, Darkpaladin has nothing to read, LARD's getting scumhunted pretty hard and is taking it well, and TDS also seems town. The four I mentioned weren't being attacked at the time, and I plan on rereading their posts for anything suspicious.

Appears to be bandwagoning on LARD with a ambiguous reason: "pretty much everything he says points to scum", medium scum lean.
I have never seen the word bandwagon used before in reference to a FoS.
True, maybe going with the flow is a better term.

Everyone, how comfortable do you feel with a lynch at this point?
Not comfortable at all. The fact that everyone is currently piling on him makes me think either Tiruin or DP is his partner, or that he's town and scum are trying to Mislynch. Given that its Day 1, I'm going with the latter.
So LARD is town and scum is trying to get a mislynch on him?
I'd like to hear more about your opinion on that. Do you think that any of the scum are voting for LARD? One or both? Considering that there's only 3 people currently voting for him, there aren't too many choices you could make.
Possibly. I tend to not like going along with the main D1 lynch, as it usually hits town, and I prefer to hunt the hunters. And scum can try and lynch someone else if there scum buddy is in for a lynch. So if no one's pushing a case against someone else during a lynch, I get a little nervous D1.

I didn't actually vote for Lard
You FOSed him and you haven't voted for anyone. I took that to be similar to a vote. Use your vote hen you can, it actually has power. The blue made you look like you were committing as little as possible, so that you could creep away later.

I'm only going to refer to the most recent ones since it's getting late here.
Here in this post I asked him for an explanation and still hasn't answered, even when he posted later.
I may give him a pass on this if he answers later.
Are you sure the first link leads to the right post? Maybe if you used quotes it would have been better?

Now there is something that doesn't add up about your last statement. If those four are suspects of bandwagoning Lard, why did you exclude TDS, who also voted for him?
Because they're not suspects of bandwagoning LARD, they're people I need to look into more.

Here are my questions to Persus13 (partly based on what has been said):

1. Why do you consider Solymr's FoS worse than the three other people who have actually voted? Sure, he doesn't have a reason to vote, but he never voted in the first place. FoSing is for pointing out who you think might be scum. It's still odd, of course, but it's only one small thing - not really enough to make him likely scum unless more evidence turns up.
Ambiguous reasoning and his FoS makes it look like he's trying to commit as little as possible. Also, he was the last on the LARD is scummy, band wagon.

2. How is LARD considered only slightly scummy for what he has done while Darkpaladin is considered a "larger scum lead" for simply being new and lurking?
That's both me being annoyed at him for not posting anything of value and refusing to learn how to play. He could easily lurk his way to victory if he's scum. Also, he seems like he has something to hide.

3. Why exactly do you think that LARD is not scum? You have stated that it's Day 1, but what does that have to do with it?
Because I'm looking the way the votes lie, and no one was pushing an alternative to a LARD lynch at the time.

4. Most importantly, you have stated that you want to extend due to a lack of consensus. However, this makes no sense when you see that you call the LARD votes a "dogpile". When you look at that vote count, it's 3 votes for LARD and one vote on DP109 and you each (but those might be pressure votes). I don't see how an extend will change the situation very much; mind clarifying?
5 people have voted, and I don't know how serious 4 of those votes are. I wouldn't call that consensus. However, there was this one span of posts that was just people voting or FoSing LARD.

Ah, the CheeseMeister is back.

Mastahcheese: Do you believe that either of the IC's is possibly scum, looking at the day so far.
Also, where's the tunnel vision that characterized you in the last BM?
tunnel vision? I don't really remember that from him. He seemed focused on makeinu when we lynched makeinu, but not tunneling.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2014, 07:32:59 pm »

For the record, I didn't miss Solymr's question, I just posted my last post in a rush and left that off.
For the ICs: if you were scum and people told you who they think that's going to get killed, what would you do?
I personally think that scum could use that info to get the town into a massive WIFOM and drive everyone nuts.
I would go after dangerous town players regardless of what people said, but I'd try to NK someone unexpected if possible.

I plan to keep a close eye on Graknorke, Solymr, Tiruin, and you, especially, for closer scanning, and as possible scum suspects. My reads I gave to Mastahcheese and my thoughts on the current dogpile on LARD are already stated.
Why these particular four, may I ask?
Mastah seems fairly town, Darkpaladin has nothing to read, LARD's getting scumhunted pretty hard and is taking it well, and TDS also seems town. The four I mentioned weren't being attacked at the time, and I plan on rereading their posts for anything suspicious.

Appears to be bandwagoning on LARD with a ambiguous reason: "pretty much everything he says points to scum", medium scum lean.
I have never seen the word bandwagon used before in reference to a FoS.
True, maybe going with the flow is a better term.

Everyone, how comfortable do you feel with a lynch at this point?
Not comfortable at all. The fact that everyone is currently piling on him makes me think either Tiruin or DP is his partner, or that he's town and scum are trying to Mislynch. Given that its Day 1, I'm going with the latter.
So LARD is town and scum is trying to get a mislynch on him?
I'd like to hear more about your opinion on that. Do you think that any of the scum are voting for LARD? One or both? Considering that there's only 3 people currently voting for him, there aren't too many choices you could make.
Possibly. I tend to not like going along with the main D1 lynch, as it usually hits town, and I prefer to hunt the hunters. And scum can try and lynch someone else if there scum buddy is in for a lynch. So if no one's pushing a case against someone else during a lynch, I get a little nervous D1.

I didn't actually vote for Lard
You FOSed him and you haven't voted for anyone. I took that to be similar to a vote. Use your vote hen you can, it actually has power. The blue made you look like you were committing as little as possible, so that you could creep away later.

I'm only going to refer to the most recent ones since it's getting late here.
Here in this post I asked him for an explanation and still hasn't answered, even when he posted later.
I may give him a pass on this if he answers later.
Are you sure the first link leads to the right post? Maybe if you used quotes it would have been better?

Now there is something that doesn't add up about your last statement. If those four are suspects of bandwagoning Lard, why did you exclude TDS, who also voted for him?
Because they're not suspects of bandwagoning LARD, they're people I need to look into more.

Here are my questions to Persus13 (partly based on what has been said):

1. Why do you consider Solymr's FoS worse than the three other people who have actually voted? Sure, he doesn't have a reason to vote, but he never voted in the first place. FoSing is for pointing out who you think might be scum. It's still odd, of course, but it's only one small thing - not really enough to make him likely scum unless more evidence turns up.
Ambiguous reasoning and his FoS makes it look like he's trying to commit as little as possible. Also, he was the last on the LARD is scummy, band wagon.

2. How is LARD considered only slightly scummy for what he has done while Darkpaladin is considered a "larger scum lead" for simply being new and lurking?
That's both me being annoyed at him for not posting anything of value and refusing to learn how to play. He could easily lurk his way to victory if he's scum. Also, he seems like he has something to hide.

3. Why exactly do you think that LARD is not scum? You have stated that it's Day 1, but what does that have to do with it?
Because I'm looking the way the votes lie, and no one was pushing an alternative to a LARD lynch at the time.

4. Most importantly, you have stated that you want to extend due to a lack of consensus. However, this makes no sense when you see that you call the LARD votes a "dogpile". When you look at that vote count, it's 3 votes for LARD and one vote on DP109 and you each (but those might be pressure votes). I don't see how an extend will change the situation very much; mind clarifying?
5 people have voted, and I don't know how serious 4 of those votes are. I wouldn't call that consensus. However, there was this one span of posts that was just people voting or FoSing LARD.

Ah, the CheeseMeister is back.

Mastahcheese: Do you believe that either of the IC's is possibly scum, looking at the day so far.
Also, where's the tunnel vision that characterized you in the last BM?
tunnel vision? I don't really remember that from him. He seemed focused on makeinu when we lynched makeinu, but not tunneling.
Then I retract my statement.  My apologies, that's what I've heard it being called.

Unvote Persus
Tiruin: After what LARD has said, do you still believe him to be scum?  If so, why?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2014, 08:54:17 pm »

Why do you care about what I do or don't like?
saying something is well and truly useless if nobody listens.
why did you not answer my question?
Really?
I like how you trimmed your part of the post to imitate an answer, but the particular part to trim it to is the part I have already stated as being completely invalid. I'm going to listen. I have been listening. The fact that you are attempting to stall your responses for as long as possible does wonders to your attempt to convince me that you aren't scum.
That is the answer I gave at the time. You can say that it's invalid all you want (ironically enough), but that doesn't change the fact that it was an answer.
So your answer here is "I don't think anyone cares, so therefore, I shouldn't have to answer"?
Are you absolutely serious? And you don't view this as dodging a question? If you asked me a question, and I replied with "You don't care about the answer, anyway", you would not find this suspicious at all? Are you dead serious?
You know what? No. It's not invalid. It's utterly stupid to believe that anyone would accept crap like that as an acceptable answer. You can't just ignore someone's question, and believe that the person who asked the question just won't give a shit about it.

[1] No, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if you find some something suspicious, you shouldn't just be willing to cast that out at a moment's notice. Regardless of what is considered normal or not, if something sets off a bell, then you pursue it. If the only thing you ever went off of was what you believed to be fact, then what is even the point in talking?
[2] Everything is important! Whether it looks like it or not, it is! If it was just a simple mistake, then did you learn anything from it?
[3] This, is once again deflection. Rather then continuing the line the subject is on, you are attempting to change it. That is still a scum tactic.
[1&2] At the time, I deemed it not worth following that set of questions, because it could so easily be explained away. If you don't agree then you can, but I decided that line of inquiry wouldn't actually turn up anything meaningful. I suppose that were I to be in that position again, I would try a related question rather than just stopping.
[3]No, I did mean the same subject. You said that I didn't place much weight in my suspicions and changed my mind often, and when I explained the example chosen, you said I hadn't answered your question. I was simply suggesting that you find another example of the same thing if you weren't satisfied with the explanation for that particular example.
[1,2] Alright, I can accept this now, you finally actually gave a real answer. You said "I deemed it not worth following that set of questions" and opposed to "It's not important", which is an excuse, not an answer. So I'm actually good with this one, now.
[3] You're still asking me to change the subject. Saying "this example is no good, bring me a new one" is not staying on the same subject, because now you're trying to change the context in which the subject resides.

The mentioning of feelings isn't an attempt at incrimination, trying to claim that I'm not scumhunting is, when I clearly have been by talking to you. So tell me then, which part of what I said in the above quote did you consider to be nothing but "feelings"? Since you failed to specify. Also since you appear to be under the belief that my request in an impossibility, how many games of Mafia have you read? Because my request is by no means at all an uncommon one, nor one that never gets answered.
[1] The part where you said "something is off about you". It didn't actually add anything other than making you sound like you had more than a couple of things I said and you didn't like. Like how a pigeon puffs out its chest, something insubstantial but it makes you look bigger anyway.
[2] It well and truly is impossible to prove that I'm town. I could argue it, but there's no absolute proof. There wouldn't be much of a game if there was. And past that, I suppose I fell into that most criminal of acts of assuming what someone's response will be. Though I don't think my assumptions were entirely misplaced, given 4mask's earlier mention of your propensity for tunnel-vision.I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't take anything I said as a scum tell in some way. I'll elaborate on that later in the post.
[1] So you'll allow LARD to be as transparent as "Graknorke is my next target" and you won't bat an eye, and I say my thought on the way you're acting, and suddenly you feel the need to attack it? Is this really what I'm hearing from you?
[2] You don't have to prove, you just need to convince. The only way to prove it is to get you killed, I'm asking for you to not make me feel like we need to go that far, and you're refusing to even attempt it, instead by saying "Your request is impossible!"

I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding what you are meaning by "leading question", this is the second time you've used it, and I fail to grasp you are referencing with it.
Also, Really? " it's clear that by "slip-up" I meant mistake, since I applied it to townies" I actually went back and found the exact quote to show that it was in direct reference to scum!
So I take it from your answers that you'd dislike being scum, for the reason that you'd be bad at it? If you had to be scum, what do you think you'd find most interesting about it?
Not necessarily that I'd be bad at it. I've made a bunch of slip ups already without the added pressure of having to be an antagonist. But the extra pressure certainly wouldn't help.
The most interesting part I think would be the first and second day, where the scum are too outnumbered to swing a lynch vote and has to play smart to convince other people. That seems to be where the meat of basic scum gameplay is at.
I don't try to play the "well I did say 'without the added pressure of having to be an antagonist'" because guess what? Scum is fond of these little subtle hints of being town, to get suspicion away from them.
[1] Firstly, that is just begging WIFOM. "I can tell you're scum because you're acting like you're town." That is thinking that
would really only serve to benefit scum through causing chaos and distrust and WIFOM.
[2] What I said was the truth. If you are going to refuse to listen to the truth, then you're not going to get an answer you're happy with. You aren't going to get very far if whenever you hear something that isn't incriminating you just insist that really, deep down, it means I'm scum. And you do that with everything. "You did a scummy thing? SCUM! You didn't do a scummy thing? SCUM!" According to you I am simultaneously a bumbling scum who drops clues left and right, while simultaneously being subtle and lurking. You pick up on individual points, but never put them all into a whole.So come on then, [3] if I'm scum, what's my game plan? My overarching MO? [4] Or of course you could take the easy way out and say something like "Well it was your plan to look less suspicious by acting in different ways."
A leading question is one that expects a certain answer, such as something that starts with, "Don't you think". More context relevant would be "How/why did you do..." because it assumes that you did do that thing at all. In this case it was "Why are you loathe to have pressure applied to you?"
[1] You make a valid point, by deliberately ignoring the actual statement and instead only focusing on the last part. So you still want to claim that what you said was in reference to town? Because I just disproved you with that quote, and you never even challenged it. I just proved you lied. My question was entirely about scum, and you just said that your response pertained to town.
[2] This huge portion can easily be summarized into "I'm town and you'll just have to believe me." Which holds no sway in any case at all. And then just a but further into it you begin to outright insult me.
[Bold] Are you intentionally enticing me to attack you? You've been passive-aggressive for a good while now, as I pointed out earlier, and you keep going further and further into it.
[3] Well, scum usually go about by killing townies in the night, and trying to get town to mislynch during the day, so I'd say that's your overarching plan. The individual details could all vary from person to person, so it's not exactly like I can read your mind. So I'll ask the question back to you. What is your game plan?
[4] I find it ironic that you post this right before your definition of a "leading question", in that it is basically already assuming my response, which, as you say, a leading question would imply.

As with all of these "not answering my question"s you've been getting so excited over, with the first two (the third was actually a question I didn't answer) it seems like you just want a specific answer. When you get tired of this ridiculous song-and-dance, would you like to tell me what it is? Really, you've dug up a few things you don't like, demanded an explanation, then when you get the explanation you just ask for it again.
No, I'm not demanding re-explanations, I'm demanding that you stop dodging the questions! And I like how you repeated attempt to call all of my attempts to get anything out of you "ridiculous", I take it that you'd rather me simply back off? Leave you alone? Pretend it never happened?
I would like you to acknowledge that I have answered the questions, regardless of whether or not you're pleased with what the answers are. At least be honest about it rather than just repeatedly saying that I'm dodging the questions.
You have answered most of the questions. I'll admit that, but I've even explained prior in this post that you have not answered all the questions.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2014, 09:33:31 pm »

4mask
[...]
Unvote Persus
Tiruin: After what LARD has said, do you still believe him to be scum?  If so, why?
After what he has said? I believe him to be under suspect but not necessarily scum-though more on the scale for me given how I view personalism--it has no context nor no hold when you speak before any other information, external or not regarding you, is given. It speaks more of self-centeredness than anything else or concern for the self over others--something which I have to say, is not a symbol of being a towny (unless special certain power role) and even then, it is not a good sign of such people due to numerical equivalence and the note of the many others around you in the same process of finding and searching.

What about you? Other than Persus, aren't there other leads for you to pursue?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2014, 09:38:49 pm »

4mask
[...]
Unvote Persus
After what he has said? I believe him to be under suspect but not necessarily scum-though more on the scale for me given how I view personalism--it has no context nor no hold when you speak before any other information, external or not regarding you, is given. It speaks more of self-centeredness than anything else or concern for the self over others--something which I have to say, is not a symbol of being a towny (unless special certain power role) and even then, it is not a good sign of such people due to numerical equivalence and the note of the many others around you in the same process of finding and searching.

What about you? Other than Persus, aren't there other leads for you to pursue?
I'm sure there are.  That would also require me to go back and find things and...
Fine, I'll go back and read.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2014, 10:32:02 pm »

After reading the last several pages, I'm going to unvote LARD. He answered my questions, and he seems to be more inexperienced than scum. I'll have questions for people tomorrow once I've read over everyone's walls of text posts.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »

After reading the last several pages, I'm going to unvote LARD. He answered my questions, and he seems to be more inexperienced than scum. I'll have questions for people tomorrow once I've read over everyone's walls of text posts.
Differentiate 'inexperienced' from scum (and town, for that matter). It seems more like you judge him as a whole rather than how he did back there.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2014, 02:42:29 pm »

Day 1 Continues...

[2] LARD: Graknorke, Tiruin
[1] darkpaladin109: Persus13
[1] Graknorke: mastahcheese
[1] Solymr: LARD

Day 1 will end Thursday 12:00 PM MST.

Epichighfive321 is replacing Solymr.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2014, 03:20:42 pm »

Mastahcheese, can you briefly summarize your case on Graknorke, and whether or not you think he should be the day 1 lynch today, and why you seem to think that no one else's posts are worthy of your attention?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:58 pm »

[1] Mastahcheese, can you briefly summarize your case on Graknorke, [2] and whether or not you think he should be the day 1 lynch today, and [3] why you seem to think that no one else's posts are worthy of your attention?
[1] My case on Graknorke is, basically, that he's been asking questions that would provide a larger benefit to scum than town, he's been failing to answer my questions, under the guise of giving what amounts to non-answers. He has adopted a rather aggressive tone from my questioning. And overall he seems to be more interested in downgrading other's attempts at scumhunting, or deflecting the question, rather than try to defend himself in a logical manner. As well as repeatedly adding statements that serve no purpose other than to cause doubt and speculation.
[2] Yes, I think he should, he seems to be trying to cause confusion and doubt, which will only get worse the longer the days go on.
[3] I don't think they are unworthy of attention, I've just failed to see where I could really contribute to those discussions. Did I miss a question aimed at me? But I have been reading them.

And a question back to you, could you summarize your case on darkpaladin109? Do you believe he should be the Day 1 lynch?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
  • What?! I've never even heard of 4chan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »

So I'm in the game now. Woo-hoo.
Insert something that would make you think I'm clever here
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31