Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Game Over! Town win!  (Read 77895 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1!
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2014, 05:40:02 pm »

I like how you trimmed your part of the post to imitate an answer, but the particular part to trim it to is the part I have already stated as being completely invalid. I'm going to listen. I have been listening. The fact that you are attempting to stall your responses for as long as possible does wonders to your attempt to convince me that you aren't scum.
That is the answer I gave at the time. You can say that it's invalid all you want (ironically enough), but that doesn't change the fact that it was an answer.
So your answer here is "I don't think anyone cares, so therefore, I shouldn't have to answer"?
Are you absolutely serious? And you don't view this as dodging a question? If you asked me a question, and I replied with "You don't care about the answer, anyway", you would not find this suspicious at all? Are you dead serious?
You know what? No. It's not invalid. It's utterly stupid to believe that anyone would accept crap like that as an acceptable answer. You can't just ignore someone's question, and believe that the person who asked the question just won't give a shit about it.
No, that's the answer to the question. If you remember, this whole thing started with me holding off on sharing a read of Persus13. The reason I didn't is because I was reasonably sure that what I had to say about him wouldn't be heard or cared about. I don't know how I can make this any more clear. I am not saying that you would not care about my answer to your question, I am saying that I did not think anyone would care about what I thought about Persus.

[3] This, is once again deflection. Rather then continuing the line the subject is on, you are attempting to change it. That is still a scum tactic.
[3]No, I did mean the same subject. You said that I didn't place much weight in my suspicions and changed my mind often, and when I explained the example chosen, you said I hadn't answered your question. I was simply suggesting that you find another example of the same thing if you weren't satisfied with the explanation for that particular example.
[3] You're still asking me to change the subject. Saying "this example is no good, bring me a new one" is not staying on the same subject, because now you're trying to change the context in which the subject resides.
That's now how it seemed to me. I was offering you an explanation of the question using another example, because the explanation for the example you'd already chosen wasn't enough for you. Except now you're okay with some slightly different wording and elaboration, so I suppose that offer was unnecessary.

The mentioning of feelings isn't an attempt at incrimination, trying to claim that I'm not scumhunting is, when I clearly have been by talking to you. So tell me then, which part of what I said in the above quote did you consider to be nothing but "feelings"? Since you failed to specify. Also since you appear to be under the belief that my request in an impossibility, how many games of Mafia have you read? Because my request is by no means at all an uncommon one, nor one that never gets answered.
[1] The part where you said "something is off about you". It didn't actually add anything other than making you sound like you had more than a couple of things I said and you didn't like. Like how a pigeon puffs out its chest, something insubstantial but it makes you look bigger anyway.
[2] It well and truly is impossible to prove that I'm town. I could argue it, but there's no absolute proof. There wouldn't be much of a game if there was. And past that, I suppose I fell into that most criminal of acts of assuming what someone's response will be. Though I don't think my assumptions were entirely misplaced, given 4mask's earlier mention of your propensity for tunnel-vision.I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't take anything I said as a scum tell in some way. I'll elaborate on that later in the post.
[1] So you'll allow LARD to be as transparent as "Graknorke is my next target" and you won't bat an eye, and I say my thought on the way you're acting, and suddenly you feel the need to attack it? Is this really what I'm hearing from you?
[2] You don't have to prove, you just need to convince. The only way to prove it is to get you killed, I'm asking for you to not make me feel like we need to go that far, and you're refusing to even attempt it, instead by saying "Your request is impossible!"
[1]I was hoping for him to follow up on that threat so that I could go through with that rather than scare him off straight away. But then he stopped posting for some 60 hours and after that there had enough inbetween that the momentum had gone. As for saying that you weren't scumhunting, that was a mistake on my part. It was far too sweeping of an accusation, for what was a minor, and hypocritical, complaint.
[2]So what kinds of things would convince you then? I'm guessing it's not to do with what I've actually posted in the past but how I present it, since you could go through my posts if you want. Okay, I can try and be convincing. I won't be putting it in this post, but I'll have something by the end of the day.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding what you are meaning by "leading question", this is the second time you've used it, and I fail to grasp you are referencing with it.
Also, Really? " it's clear that by "slip-up" I meant mistake, since I applied it to townies" I actually went back and found the exact quote to show that it was in direct reference to scum!
So I take it from your answers that you'd dislike being scum, for the reason that you'd be bad at it? If you had to be scum, what do you think you'd find most interesting about it?
Not necessarily that I'd be bad at it. I've made a bunch of slip ups already without the added pressure of having to be an antagonist. But the extra pressure certainly wouldn't help.
The most interesting part I think would be the first and second day, where the scum are too outnumbered to swing a lynch vote and has to play smart to convince other people. That seems to be where the meat of basic scum gameplay is at.
I don't try to play the "well I did say 'without the added pressure of having to be an antagonist'" because guess what? Scum is fond of these little subtle hints of being town, to get suspicion away from them.
[1] Firstly, that is just begging WIFOM. "I can tell you're scum because you're acting like you're town." That is thinking that
would really only serve to benefit scum through causing chaos and distrust and WIFOM.
[2] What I said was the truth. If you are going to refuse to listen to the truth, then you're not going to get an answer you're happy with. You aren't going to get very far if whenever you hear something that isn't incriminating you just insist that really, deep down, it means I'm scum. And you do that with everything. "You did a scummy thing? SCUM! You didn't do a scummy thing? SCUM!" According to you I am simultaneously a bumbling scum who drops clues left and right, while simultaneously being subtle and lurking. You pick up on individual points, but never put them all into a whole.So come on then, [3] if I'm scum, what's my game plan? My overarching MO? [4] Or of course you could take the easy way out and say something like "Well it was your plan to look less suspicious by acting in different ways."
A leading question is one that expects a certain answer, such as something that starts with, "Don't you think". More context relevant would be "How/why did you do..." because it assumes that you did do that thing at all. In this case it was "Why are you loathe to have pressure applied to you?"
[1] You make a valid point, by deliberately ignoring the actual statement and instead only focusing on the last part. So you still want to claim that what you said was in reference to town? Because I just disproved you with that quote, and you never even challenged it. I just proved you lied. My question was entirely about scum, and you just said that your response pertained to town.
[2] This huge portion can easily be summarized into "I'm town and you'll just have to believe me." Which holds no sway in any case at all. And then just a but further into it you begin to outright insult me.
[Bold] Are you intentionally enticing me to attack you? You've been passive-aggressive for a good while now, as I pointed out earlier, and you keep going further and further into it.
[3] Well, scum usually go about by killing townies in the night, and trying to get town to mislynch during the day, so I'd say that's your overarching plan. The individual details could all vary from person to person, so it's not exactly like I can read your mind. So I'll ask the question back to you. What is your game plan?
[4] I find it ironic that you post this right before your definition of a "leading question", in that it is basically already assuming my response, which, as you say, a leading question would imply.
[/quote]
[1]If you agree that I made a good point, then you also agree that you didn't "disprove" anything. My post stands as pertaining to town if we don't discredit your argument that it looking like town is a scum ploy.
[2]It's not so much "you have to believe me" as it is "This all there is". You're not going to get a drastic change in what my answers are just by asking over and over. Maybe slight differences in wording like earlier, but nothing like spontaneously confessing to be scum because you keep asking me about the phrase "slip up".
[bold]I didn't think I need to entice you to attack me. And passive-aggressive isn't unusual for me, if you want me to keep it in check I can try, but I thought you'd prefer as little revision as possible in posts.
[3]That's a little vague, considering how much you were acting like you thought was scummy, but I'll bite. I was hoping for someone to be more obviously scummy on day 1, or at least more receptive to discussion and active. As it is, people have mostly just exchanged pleasantries and then sat back complacent. I thought I was at least onto something with LARD, but I'm not sure where I can go with it now. Then there's 4mask who has been poking at various people enough that I think he's town, TDS who hasn't made a vote yet, you who I think has taken actions that it wouldn't make sense for scum to take (going after me when it would be easy to let LARD or darkpaladin get lynched), and darkpaladin and Solymr who I don't think have been posting enough, which annoys me. So I feel at a bit of a dead end.
[4]A leading question assumes a certain answer as part of the question. What I posted was just an admittedly useless and inflammatory comment.

PPE: Hi Epichighfive.
And mastahcheese, I think it's a bit of a leap to say that I'm "trying to cause confusion and doubt". You're the only person who's expressed that sentiment so far, I'd say it's a problem with you understanding what I type rather than my intent.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
  • What?! I've never even heard of 4chan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2014, 05:47:49 pm »

After reading the preceding posts, I'm gonna go ahead and go with LARD.
Insert something that would make you think I'm clever here

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »

WHy are you voting LARD? Please back up your posts with evidence.

And a question back to you, could you summarize your case on darkpaladin109? Do you believe he should be the Day 1 lynch?
My vote on Darkpaladin is trying to get him to make longer posts. That tactic is failing, but if he's going to lurk without asking for a replacement, I'm fine with lynching him today, instead of at lylo.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2014, 06:53:39 pm »

Alright, I am kinda new towards this game, but I think my logic was a bit faulty when selecting LARD, so UNVOTE LARD. I really only selected him because I didn't know how much time was left in the day and saw another player's argument in why he was voted. After some thinking, I have decided to go with Persus13. Like what LARD said before, you seem to put yourself in a mentor position above us. I think this is a good enough reason.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »

Alright, I am kinda new towards this game, but I think my logic was a bit faulty when selecting LARD, so UNVOTE LARD. I really only selected him because I didn't know how much time was left in the day and saw another player's argument in why he was voted. After some thinking, I have decided to go with Persus13. Like what LARD said before, you seem to put yourself in a mentor position above us. I think this is a good enough reason.
I'd like you to take more time to read the game OP. I'm acting as a mentor, because that's my job.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2014, 06:55:56 pm »

Persus is an IC. It's literally his job to do that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2014, 07:00:02 pm »

I know, I read the OP. But I think you are using that to win. If I was IC I could win the game easier by letting the players think I'm pointing in the right direction but really I'm not. And that wouldn't be not doing your job because we would learn from that. I think I have already.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »

I know, I read the OP. But I think you are using that to win. If I was IC I could win the game easier by letting the players think I'm pointing in the right direction but really I'm not. And that wouldn't be not doing your job because we would learn from that. I think I have already.
Regardless of their alignment, they are obligated to provide you with genuine advice, so that even if you don't trust the IC, you can trust the advice they give.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2014, 07:09:21 pm »

Quick query for you: Why are you being so jumpy, and assuming forthright before anything?

Guess what.
This was a question. I fail to see any wrong here.

Now another query: Mentor position? He asked a question towards you, which your point being a bandwagon just to see the lynch come, right?

Epichighfive321, tell me:
Why are you seeing wrong when there is none?

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2014, 07:14:29 pm »

Quick query for you: Why are you being so jumpy, and assuming forthright before anything?

Guess what.
This was a question. I fail to see any wrong here.

Now another query: Mentor position? He asked a question towards you, which your point being a bandwagon just to see the lynch come, right?

Epichighfive321, tell me:
Why are you seeing wrong when there is none?
I read the rest of the game before even posting the first time, its not like I jumped in without knowing what's going on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2014, 07:20:22 pm »

[quote author=Epichighfive321 link=topic=136649.msg5059502#msg5059502 date=1393978
I read the rest of the game before even posting the first time, its not like I jumped in without knowing what's going on.
[/quote]
Alright then, you're replacing Solymr's position, but you aren't Solymr.
What are your scum reads? I don't want Solymr's, I want yours, after you're read through what currently exists of the game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2014, 07:25:06 pm »

Back up your gloating then.

I'd like to see evidence rather than what vague allegations you claim to stand behind. I'd like tangibility rather than assumptions.

It's not like you're puffing stuff out of thin air.
Oh! And since you read the game, tell me your references for your votes, thanks!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2014, 07:27:11 pm »

Alright then, you're replacing Solymr's position, but you aren't Solymr.
What are your scum reads? I don't want Solymr's, I want yours, after you're read through what currently exists of the game.
Well that teaches me to not preview before posting.
But the question still stands Epichighfive, who do you think is scum and who do you think is town? Why?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2014, 07:28:06 pm »

No, that's the answer to the question. If you remember, this whole thing started with me holding off on sharing a read of Persus13. The reason I didn't is because I was reasonably sure that what I had to say about him wouldn't be heard or cared about. I don't know how I can make this any more clear. I am not saying that you would not care about my answer to your question, I am saying that I did not think anyone would care about what I thought about Persus.
Alright, I can accept this part now, but you should still answer questions when they're asked, even if you don't think the answer would mean much. The simple fact of whether or not the questions is answered at all is often times more important than the answer that is provided.

[3] You're still asking me to change the subject. Saying "this example is no good, bring me a new one" is not staying on the same subject, because now you're trying to change the context in which the subject resides.
That's now how it seemed to me. I was offering you an explanation of the question using another example, because the explanation for the example you'd already chosen wasn't enough for you. Except now you're okay with some slightly different wording and elaboration, so I suppose that offer was unnecessary.
I bolded the "elaboration" part because that's really what made me willing to accept it. Giving a vague answer that doesn't provide information isn't sufficient, and harping on about how "I did answer it" doesn't help. You elaborated, and now it actually provides the information I asked for so long ago.

[1] So you'll allow LARD to be as transparent as "Graknorke is my next target" and you won't bat an eye, and I say my thought on the way you're acting, and suddenly you feel the need to attack it? Is this really what I'm hearing from you?
[2] You don't have to prove, you just need to convince. The only way to prove it is to get you killed, I'm asking for you to not make me feel like we need to go that far, and you're refusing to even attempt it, instead by saying "Your request is impossible!"
[1]I was hoping for him to follow up on that threat so that I could go through with that rather than scare him off straight away. But then he stopped posting for some 60 hours and after that there had enough inbetween that the momentum had gone. As for saying that you weren't scumhunting, that was a mistake on my part. It was far too sweeping of an accusation, for what was a minor, and hypocritical, complaint.
[2]So what kinds of things would convince you then? I'm guessing it's not to do with what I've actually posted in the past but how I present it, since you could go through my posts if you want. Okay, I can try and be convincing. I won't be putting it in this post, but I'll have something by the end of the day.
[1] I can understand the reluctance to continue after momentum has passed, as attempting to re-initiate something like that would quickly become cumbersome.
[2] I'll be waiting for that.

Quote from: mastahcheese link=topic=136649.msg5056756#msg5056756 date=13938980[quote author=Graknorke
[1
You make a valid point, by deliberately ignoring the actual statement and instead only focusing on the last part. So you still want to claim that what you said was in reference to town? Because I just disproved you with that quote, and you never even challenged it. I just proved you lied. My question was entirely about scum, and you just said that your response pertained to town.
[2] This huge portion can easily be summarized into "I'm town and you'll just have to believe me." Which holds no sway in any case at all. And then just a but further into it you begin to outright insult me.
[Bold] Are you intentionally enticing me to attack you? You've been passive-aggressive for a good while now, as I pointed out earlier, and you keep going further and further into it.
[3] Well, scum usually go about by killing townies in the night, and trying to get town to mislynch during the day, so I'd say that's your overarching plan. The individual details could all vary from person to person, so it's not exactly like I can read your mind. So I'll ask the question back to you. What is your game plan?
[4] I find it ironic that you post this right before your definition of a "leading question", in that it is basically already assuming my response, which, as you say, a leading question would imply.
[1]If you agree that I made a good point, then you also agree that you didn't "disprove" anything. My post stands as pertaining to town if we don't discredit your argument that it looking like town is a scum ploy.
[2]It's not so much "you have to believe me" as it is "This all there is". You're not going to get a drastic change in what my answers are just by asking over and over. Maybe slight differences in wording like earlier, but nothing like spontaneously confessing to be scum because you keep asking me about the phrase "slip up".
[bold]I didn't think I need to entice you to attack me. And passive-aggressive isn't unusual for me, if you want me to keep it in check I can try, but I thought you'd prefer as little revision as possible in posts.
[3]That's a little vague, considering how much you were acting like you thought was scummy, but I'll bite. I was hoping for someone to be more obviously scummy on day 1, or at least more receptive to discussion and active. As it is, people have mostly just exchanged pleasantries and then sat back complacent. I thought I was at least onto something with LARD, but I'm not sure where I can go with it now. Then there's 4mask who has been poking at various people enough that I think he's town, TDS who hasn't made a vote yet, you who I think has taken actions that it wouldn't make sense for scum to take (going after me when it would be easy to let LARD or darkpaladin get lynched), and darkpaladin and Solymr who I don't think have been posting enough, which annoys me. So I feel at a bit of a dead end.
[4]A leading question assumes a certain answer as part of the question. What I posted was just an admittedly useless and inflammatory comment.
[1] Um, no, that is a blatant jump to a conclusion, as well as completely misinterpreting the context. You are once again attempt to skew the topic by only acknowledging one part of a multi-part subject.
[2] I've already begun getting some acceptable answers out of you. And no, a spontaneous confession will never happen, because it would serve no purpose at all. Is that what you think I've been trying to get out of you?
[bold] In no situation would I ever tell someone to edit a post. That's a blatant rule violation.
[3] Alright, this sparks some new questions out of me. Who do you think is acting the most "complacent"? By "obviously scummy", is there anything in particular you were looking for when reading people's posts? If you were to back to getting on LARD, where would you begin? You specifically mention that TDS hasn't voted yet, what does this tell you?
[4] If it was useless, then what were you hoping would be achieved by including it?

And mastahcheese, I think it's a bit of a leap to say that I'm "trying to cause confusion and doubt". You're the only person who's expressed that sentiment so far, I'd say it's a problem with you understanding what I type rather than my intent.
Just because I'm the only one to express that view point, don't mean that it couldn't serve that purpose.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1! 1 Replacement Needed
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »

After reading the last several pages, I'm going to unvote LARD. He answered my questions, and he seems to be more inexperienced than scum. I'll have questions for people tomorrow once I've read over everyone's walls of text posts.
Differentiate 'inexperienced' from scum (and town, for that matter). It seems more like you judge him as a whole rather than how he did back there.

He still bugs me, since I dislike his answers, but there have been lots of things going on and I have several questions for people.

Graknorke: You are currently arguing with mastahcheese.

You seem to be sidestepping a question ("What's your read on Persus13" or something like that). What makes you think that no one will care about this? Obviously, at least mastahcheese cares. If you keep refusing to answer, more people will start caring about your answer.

You say you will be convincing, and yet you also say that you can't be convincing. If you're town, play like town. Go scumhunt and get information for all of us. Also, your most recent post was somewhat lacking in anything substantial; you respond to mastahcheese's questions with things like "You looked at the wrong thing" or "It doesn't matter". Why is this?

Epichighfive: I also want to know why you voted for LARD. PPE: Why Persus? Give quotes to support what you say.

Persus13: Why do you think lynching a lurker over an active person is a good idea? Active people are a better choice to go after first, since they tend to be able to make more informed decisions regarding who to nightkill/mislynch if they are scum.

Lard: What do you mean by me being "non-committing"?

mastahcheese: Can you sum up your arguments against Grak? It's really annoying to go through every bit of text that you and Grak write.

Tiruin: He is making the same mistakes that I did the first time I played as town. He also has the "self-centeredness" that you got annoyed at me about. He has said things that are odd, and I still am wary of him, but a lot of what he has done comes down to not knowing how to effectively play town in the first place. Compare him with DP109 (or my early play), and you'll see the same things happening. While he could still be scum, I'm currently getting a "newbie" read from him over anything else. My decision on him depends on what he says and the number of other people that I suspect (there are only so many scum).

PPE: :P 14 new replies while I was typing.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31