Poll

derp

gerr
- 17 (58.6%)
derp
- 12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Running with rifles- Now on Steam!  (Read 31842 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Running with rifles- Mass warfare simulator
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 07:29:19 am »

Hide behind some waist-high wall and hold crouch. Shooting then makes you peek out and fire above the barrier and once you stop shooting you automatically duck behind it.

I find an AR is better than an MG in this aspect as reloading during the short spurts of combat leaves you less vulnerable. They're also a lot more accurate and recover from recoil much more quickly; making burst firing extremely deadly and ammo-efficient.

I've been using my squadmates to either cover my flanks or lure enemies (and their grenades) out. They also double as a source of grenades/zooks (Use your backpack to carry more).

Purchasing/Finding Cover Deploy for them helps their survivability. It also means that there's usually someone to save you, making vests worthwhile; and also someone for you to save, for XP.

Be very careful when throwing grenades though, most of the time it'll bounce of the wall and force you to leave cover (Or kill you, in the case of impact grenades). Either stand up (Which makes you vulnerable) or back up a bit before tossing it.

We've been deadlocked at the eastern city for the last few hours so I've been knocking them down in droves.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:42:19 am by Blaze »

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:01 am »

I know all about cover and the weapons from fighting on the first map for 6 hours before finally fully understanding the game, that's where I got all those deaths.
What AR are you talking about? there are many types but the most common ones I found are the M16/AK/G36, there's also the SIG SG 550 I got after turning in an enemy truck, I saw on some screenshots that you can also get the french FAMAS but I haven't found it yet.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 09:09:06 am »

For those interested in trying the demo, there's an older demo that while didn't had the stairs to building rooftops had a different map with a bit more diversity in landscape (but with less details) than the latest demo , and that allowed you to set the amount of soldiers on the battlefield (the latest demo lock that option) :
http://www.indiedb.com/games/running-with-rifles/downloads/running-with-rifles-demo-beta-04

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 09:35:57 am »

I saw on some screenshots that you can also get the french FAMAS but I haven't found it yet.

when you deliver to an armory a black briefcase item that are randomly dropped by killed soldiers, you'll eventually get a random weapon to be unlocked at your armory. One of those weapons could be the FAMAS.

For those interested in trying the demo, there's an older demo that while didn't had the stairs to building rooftops had a different map with a bit more diversity in landscape (but with less details) than the latest demo , and that allowed you to set the amount of soldiers on the battlefield (the latest demo lock that option) :
http://www.indiedb.com/games/running-with-rifles/downloads/running-with-rifles-demo-beta-04

this demo is 2.5 years old :)
According to the devs, a brand new demo should be out withing 1-2 weeks!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2014, 12:20:55 pm »

I've found several "special" weapons from soldier's I've killed. They show up in teal lettering.

One was a "Neo-something" and it was some kind of auto shotgun.

It poofed when I died though.

What AR are you talking about? there are many types but the most common ones I found are the M16/AK/G36, there's also the SIG SG 550 I got after turning in an enemy truck, I saw on some screenshots that you can also get the french FAMAS but I haven't found it yet.
I was playing green so it was most likely the M16, but the AK and G36 are probably similar. The SIG is suppresed so it helps when playing sneaky.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:26:03 pm by Blaze »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:07 pm »

Neostead? It's not an auto-shotgun though

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2014, 12:43:38 pm »

There's a list of special weapons in the PDF file on the game's forums it contains everything.

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2014, 12:52:55 pm »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2014, 07:04:10 pm »

Had a look at a few let's plays of this and got interested. Watched a big multi-faction MP game that had a point-of-view of the dev's footage as well. Apparently the current OP is grenade launcher sniping. It'll be nerfed shortly, but after seeing what one person can do with it, I shudder to think what 2-4 people could do. Rolling, infinite, cover-ignoring barrages ftw.

Anyway, can't wait for the new demo to try this game out. I might buy it anyway,just on the basis of "it looks cool" and might be a fun little time-waster. Hopefully Aussie ping won't kill it for me.

Incidently, there's a video-based tutorial on YouTube by someone called Com Jak for version 0.77. He's not the best player, but it covers everything for the non-reading types out there (except the GL and the tank, which are newish additions).

Also, is the grey's semi-auto shotty worth using? It looks like it might be on paper, but the standard AR for all factions is pretty damn sweet anyway.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:20:01 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2014, 07:26:01 pm »

It's a game. Have fun.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2014, 08:40:47 pm »

Incidently, there's a video-based tutorial on YouTube by someone called Com Jak for version 0.77. He's not the best player, but it covers everything for the non-reading types out there (except the GL and the tank, which are newish additions).
Oh so that's what the "Comjak's RWR Guide" loot is referring to.
Also, is the grey's semi-auto shotty worth using? It looks like it might be on paper, but the standard AR for all factions is pretty damn sweet anyway.
Eh, I find shotguns of pretty limited utility. I suppose they have some use for urban combat, but it tends to miss annoyingly often at medium range. The QCW or MP5 are better in that regard anyway, as they're suppresed so you can pick off small groups without everyone closing in on you.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2014, 08:59:19 pm »

I guess it's a "depending on the environment" thing. Lots of AI, then the mp5 would be better. High ping MP, it might just be better to throw lead in the general direction of the enemy.

Same as GLs. They're OP'd in the right circumstances. Got height and a fairly open killing field? Then they look great. I still wonder what they'd do with a couple of ranked players sending in grunts to hold the line while they do artillery duty. But coordination in MP doesn't seem to be a thing yet. It'd be like playing a summon/CE necro in D2 with friends. Sort of.

Anyway. The game looks fun. d/l'ing the demo for a system test today, then I might skip going to the pub and buy it. If it doesn't take too much of a system to run I might chuck up a server for Aussie if there's ping hassles.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:02:35 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2014, 09:54:00 pm »

If you mean the Spas-12, I swear by it on urban maps. Way better than the Mossberg 500 (Green's shotgun). The spread is tighter, meaning you can shoot further. Turn a corner, BANG! Jump back into cover before you get shot. Like all shotguns, it becomes pretty much worthless once you leave the confines of the city, but you will own your engagements when you have the right place.

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2014, 04:22:45 am »

making the shotguns more accurate and the bullets having a longer lifetime makes a shotgun OP pretty fast. So I guess it's fine how they are right now.
Can be cool when you come around a corner and with one shot you kill 3 guys :)
But personally I have never been a big friend of shotguns no matter what game.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2014, 07:32:24 pm »

I finally beat the Wake Island campaign mission after three hours of fighting. A massive wave of greens flooding the airfield combined with me racking up ~50 kills with a P90 I took off an enemy corpse. The greys were just about to begin retaking it whenever the timer ran out and my side won.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15