Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The Flame's Last Flickers IC  (Read 7794 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Flame's Last Flickers IC
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »

(( I'm assuming unless stated otherwise you go to bed. Feel free to chat more among yourselves or ask Forkin any more questions.))

UB and Jarund

Together, you turn and leave the Knightlodge. It isn't quite dark yet: the sun is dim but visible in the distance. The air is warm and dry. Despite the late hour, plenty of people are still o nthe street - guards, with armoured boots clacking on the cobblestones; lanternboys, who carry long tapers to light the hanging torches that illuminate the night streets; women of ill repute and those who would purchase their services. It seems some things can counter a man's fear of the dark.

The Drunken Swan isn't too far, and the battered wagons drawn up in the yard help give a clue. A watchman sits on top a wagon, eyeing you warily, but does not call out. The inn itself is a tall, three story building - it's built of the local stone, a flaky grey rock. Windows are tightly shuttered, but flickers of light and the mumout of voices leak out nonetheless. The sign creaks gently in the soft breeze.

You enter together. It's pretty clear which man is the merchant - he sits with a downcast expression at the heart of a ragged group of sellswords, tradesmen, and the hangers-on that follow every wagon train. He appears to be talking softly to a Forest Brother - this one seems to be made of sterner stuff than the drunken sots in the knightlodge, and his steely grey gaze suggests Ferrikan heritage. The bartender looks up at your entry, but seeing nothing odd, soon turns her attention back to cleaning a pewter mug with a dirty cloth.

The trader hasn't noticed you. You could take a table nearby and listen in for a while or go straight to the merchant and offer to help.

----

The rest of you

After assuring the old miner departure immediately wasn't necessary, you agree to met outside at dawn to depart. Seeing you accepting the miner's task, the bartender grants you rooms with a quiet "Solairi light your paths.". Some stay to talk some more, but one by one you drift to your rooms to wait the dawn.

----

Spoiler: GM notes (click to show/hide)

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 10:35:42 pm »

As soon as Jarund notices the Ferrikan, his face goes blank, expression tightly controlled.
"I assume that merchant is why we are here?" Jarund whispers to the Buzkari. "I'd like to listen in for a while, hear what that infernal Ferrikan has to say, if anything. Any objection?"

Assuming the Buzkari doesn't object, Jarund takes a seat at a table close enough to the merchant's group to listen in on their conversation, and eavesdrops.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 04:08:32 am »

The Buzkari follows the lead of Jarund, perching himself on a nearby seat, seemingly lost in his thoughts.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 08:37:51 pm »

Jarund and UB

"Give me more details than that," growls the Ferrikan. "Your men haven't given me anything useful. Something big, with a grey pelt. That could match a dozen kinds of monsters. It could even be a damned daemon, and I need to know how many men I must send. I have four knights under my command. Four. I can't risk them against a unknown enemy."
The caravanmaster shrugs his shoulders helplessly. "I was at the front, on the wagon that we managed to get away. I didn't see the cursed thing. I can only tell you what my remaining men have told me, and you've talked to each of them already. I need to know; will you help or not?"
The Ironheart leans back. "Fighting elves does not a monster hunter make. My knights are barely more than green boys. I need details! Did it have claws? Did it eat the dead? Did it walk on four legs or two?"
"Four legs, big mouth, loud roar, we've already told you this! We're not going to magically remember more details, by the Lantern! Are all Ironhearts as disagreeable as you?"

Things seem on the verge of getting heated. While you decide what to do, you try and recall any monsters that match the description.

----

The rest of you

Zzzz.

----

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:48 pm »

The insect nods, pushes back his chair and stands.
It quickly looks over at Jarund and makes an appeasing gesture with one hand.
If you... follow, keep your emotions... in check.

It then moves over to where the Knight and Merchant are arguing.
Forgive... for my intrusion, however I... belong to a band of monster hunters. I do not wish to... cast doubt on your men, however... if you follow this contract, without knowing your enemy... Men will die; and your men seem to know it.
I would not expect them to tell you so- what infantryman admits to fear to a superior officer? But if you... cast your eye into the knightlodge, you will see the... sombre drinking of men ordered to die, not the raucous boasting of soon-to-be heroes.
If you are determined to... pursue this bounty, I can wake... our expert so that he may aid you with his knowledge. But I heavily suggest... leaving this matter to us.
We... kill... tharns. We... would not... try to... clear an elf-camp.

It gives a soft rattle as it leans forward against the table.
Forgive... I am not... normally our speaker
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:19:18 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 09:27:54 pm »

((Yeah, Balthazar might be able to help with IDing that monster - if the GM is willing...))
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:20 pm »

((no doubt you could... if someone went and woke you up. Unfortunately your telepathic powers are missing.))

UB and Jarund

All eyes turn to the insect. The Ferrikan's face goes tight with rage. "Hold on. You say Forest Brothers in the Knightlodge... drinking." He snarls the next words. "Those damn fools! Hungover pissants are useless to me!"
Abruptly he rises, his chair falling backwards and clattering on the floorboards. He begins to walk past and then stops.
"We are Forest Brothers. Keeping the woods clear is our duty. And you look more like a dying beggar than a warrior."

The merchant remains seated, listening to the conversation, though his face hints of a hopeful look. "200 gold a warrior if you bring me back both it's head and my goods. You'll know them when you see them." he calls.

The Ironheart notices Jarund, and his lip curls slightly.
"I recognise that hair, those eyes. You have a cushioned throne waiting for you, boy. Go back to your castle and play prince." He turns back to the insect. "A dying bug and a Mcyaeros. The rest of your monster hunters must be mighty indeed, if you two are any representation. But if you want to deal with this monster, have at it. How many are in your band of 'monster hunters', insect? If I have to, I'll go with you myself."

----

The rest of you

Zzz? Zzzz.

----

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2014, 10:30:54 pm »

((Hey! I was gonna post an action, too. Doesn't really change much... ah well. I suppose I'll have to live with not getting the first insult in.))

Jarund, having followed the Buzkari to the merchant's table, chuckles at the Ferrikan knight's response to his presence. "Since you're so interested, you can count for yourself. We'll be heading out at dawn... if Your Highness can lower himself to fighting alongside such weak, pampered fools as us." Jarund nods to the merchant and leaves, heading back to the knightlodge to wake the other party members.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:14 pm »

The insect catches his breath and stands, leaning on his staff.
"We are being... paid per warrior, and fighting an... unknown foe. The only reason we would have not to..." It stares at the Ferrikan. "Would be foolish pride".
"You are... returning to the knight-lodge, yes? Allow me to accompany you, that you may... share what you know of the beast... and I may share what little knowledge I can give in turn."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:50:28 pm by Tack »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 02:57:15 am »

'Meg' chews on her pillow in her sleep "Sheepy".
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 06:37:45 am »

Jarund gently shakes her awake. "Hey, get up. Party meeting downstairs."

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 02:17:57 pm »

"Huh? Where did sheepy go?" she brushes her hair before rolling out of bed. "I'll be down in a*Yawn*moment." she gets her clothes.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 02:41:30 pm »

((I believe I would be a monster expert (10!). Or Scap.))
 Aras was still awake when the others arrived, sitting besides a window and watching after the setting sun. he stirred slightly, twisting on his seat, and causing his heavy plate to scrape across the it's surface.
 On seeing the man, he pulled himself to his feet, dust stirring with each clanking step. The torchlight gleams orange in the shining plate as he stops before him.
 'You offer employment?'
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 03:05:57 pm »

"At 200 gold per warrior. Some merchant lost his caravan to that Beast in Mulgran Woods those knights were talking about, earlier. He wants the Beast's head and his goods back. There's a Ferrikan knight we pretty much stole the job from, heh. He's probably broke, since he's willing to come along with us. I left him and the Buzkari with the merchant to see what the rest of the party thinks of the offer. They should be right behind me, in a minute or so."

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »

'Taking work from a Ferrikan? A poor decision. Nonetheless, the hunting of beasts is always good work.'
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9