Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: World's biggest drug kingpin arrested.  (Read 12323 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: World's biggest drug kingpin arrested.
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:24 pm »

Life imprisonment means you can appeal forever.

And Hugo, that's still entirely dependent on where he goes. Which says quite a bit about our [sold to companies] justice system.

We know he'll get the best lawyer money can buy, a judge who is lazy and wants to get a name by 'throwing him away and locking up the key', and a prison where they give two types of fuck about justice, let alone for the families of the people this man has killed, mauled, raped, and otherwise entirely ruined the homelands of.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:40:49 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 01:42:57 pm »

Yeah the idea of privatized jails is pretty damn repugnant. But I can't tell whether that's because I normally hate the idea of privatized utilities and civic needs (such as water and sewer systems, electric services, police and fire, roads, parks, grade schools, military, foreign diplomacy, voting) or whether that's something normal people loathe too.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 01:44:59 pm »

What do you mean you can appeal forever? Once you've been sentenced by the appeal court, you're done. Or you mean parole hearing, that kind of stuff?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 01:46:54 pm »

What do you mean you can appeal forever? Once you've been sentenced by the appeal court, you're done. Or you mean parole hearing, that kind of stuff?

Appeals and habeus corpus petitions can always be found in the weeds to be filed. Which is why people like him pay lawyers so much, to give them a nearly-infinite list of reasons to appeal and file habeus corpus petitions. Not that they'd work for him at all, but they still have to render decision on every. Single. One.

It will also cause 'Drug Lord appeals' news articles that remind the family how this man is sitting in jail still with all his money and power.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:48:47 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »

Life imprisonment means you can appeal forever.

And Hugo, that's still entirely dependent on where he goes. Which says quite a bit about our [sold to companies] justice system.

We know he'll get the best lawyer money can buy, a judge who is lazy and wants to get a name by 'throwing him away and locking up the key', and a prison where they give two types of fuck about justice, let alone for the families of the people this man has killed, mauled, raped, and otherwise entirely ruined the homelands of.
We've sent all the other one's we've got there. I see no reason why he wouldn't follow. It's not as if any appreciable fraction the American people like him, or he has it in with our media, unlike Bernie Madoff. We've got corruption, sure, but it's pretty biased. An American rich criminal, and maybe a European or Canadian one, might be able to secure amenities, but a foreign crime lord? They become "a threat to national security" and wind up in a Federal prison.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 02:01:32 pm »

Yeah, this guy is fucked. Believe it or not, there are things that piles of money won't save you from, and being captured as a foreign drug lord is one of those things. The only people who could want him left with influence are privatized prisons (since he plays a role in ensuring their continued profitability by helping to ensure there's a constant supply of drug crimes to sentence people for), but he's too high profile to ever see one of those. Even if he did, I'm not willing to believe that anyone would actually be insane enough to take the risk of letting him keep running things - that is going to get found out eventually, and is sure as shit going to result in a loss of your contract and some pretty heavy penalties (because, yes, our system is so corrupt that that actually is the worst that would happen in that case). Better to let the power vacuum sort it out, from their perspective.

We already have empirical evidence that this is what happens to high profile drug lords, though. I'd like to see the evidence that he'll get something cushy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »

He was arrested by Mexicans, not Americans though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2014, 02:16:08 pm »

Good point. I'd misunderstood the "was indicted in the United States" bit at the end of the linked article - that was probably referring to a previous thing. I don't really know, then. If he's extradited, then yeah, he resumes being fucked. If he's not, then I don't know Mexican politics well enough to conclude how important it is for the government to keep him imprisoned properly. He escaped once before, but I also don't know whether that makes a repeat more likely or not.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 02:18:33 pm »

If he's extradited, then yeah, he resumes being fucked.
I thought prison rape was just a horror story that parents tell their kids so they don't become criminals o_O

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 02:43:16 pm »

I did not mean that literally, but. It's a real thing. Real shitty, that is. It'd be nice if people cared, but there's so much "They're a criminal so they deserve whatever they get" sentiment floating around that nothing gets done about it.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »

I did not mean that literally, but. It's a real thing. Real shitty, that is. It'd be nice if people cared, but there's so much "They're a criminal so they deserve whatever they get" sentiment floating around that nothing gets done about it.
I'm just gonna sit over here, pretending I still lived in Norway so I don't have to think about this.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2014, 03:31:16 pm »

Even if he remains in Mexico, the Mexican President's credibility depends on shutting him down. Nieto campaigned on putting an end to the Drug War, though he was against his predecessor's making it a military matter.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »

Doesn't mean the guy won't get a suspiciously auspicious chance to escape.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 03:42:44 pm »

The Mexican Government suffers from corruption to a far greater degree than the US Government, but if everyone was in bed together, there wouldn't be a drug war. A second escape would have massive consequences, though I don't doubt some bought person might try to let him out. Then again, if they turn him over to the military, which is quite a bit less corrupt (but has other issues), he might die.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2014, 07:26:18 pm »

Joint Mexican-U.S. operations were trying to catch Guzman for almost eight years, and every single time, he would escape through some backdoor or bolt hole or secret tunnel or identical safe house.  Every time the U.S. team would ask the Mexican authorities what happened they'd get the same bullcrap responses, to the point that one operations leader asked his translator in full earshot of the fluent Mexican leader, "How do you 'surround the place' in Spanish?"  Which is a very euphemistic way of asking, "Are any of you hombres not on the take?"

The funny thing is, when I come back to look at this thread, that poor guy was still worlds less cynical than about two thirds of you people.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10