Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linked rooms  (Read 2515 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Linked rooms
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:13:16 am »

So, lets say you want to build a really big underground city, where dwarves live not in rooms, but actual houses, with multiple rooms. I becomes a mess to make sure every dwarf has his/her rooms assigned in the same house.
Linked rooms would share ownership, a dwarf takes one s/he takes all of them. So when someone sleep in the bed i a house s/he also takes the office, the dining room and whatever else.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linked rooms
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »

You know how sometimes an idea takes a while for someone to think of, but then looks totally obvious in hindsight? This is one of those cases...

Crimson Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:43:06 pm »

I like this idea and think it could be really useful, maybe it would help if it automatically linked rooms that share a door or something.

rampaging-poet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:49:48 pm »

This would also be handy for assigning rooms to elected officials.  Even if the game can't automatically reassign those rooms, having a "Mayor's Quarters" set of linked rooms that could be quickly reassigned to the new mayor manually would be nice.
Lame excuse? 'Having a drink instead' is the dwarfiest reason to not get something done, short of accidentally flooding your home with magma. Or intentionally flooding your home with magma.

Crimson Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:52:43 pm »

Yeah instead of having to do each of the rooms manually which has always been a bit of a pain.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:54:28 pm »

This would be a great timesaver.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

Linked rooms would share ownership, a dwarf takes one s/he takes all of them. So when someone sleep in the bed i a house s/he also takes the office, the dining room and whatever else.
That is good one.
Sorry for Grammar.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 01:50:31 pm »

So, lets say you want to build a really big underground city, where dwarves live not in rooms, but actual houses, with multiple rooms. I becomes a mess to make sure every dwarf has his/her rooms assigned in the same house.

Good idea!

The following thread are about assigning room to position, which could be conbined with the OP idea:

EDIT:
(February 23rd, 2014) Deleted useless BBCode tags.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:56:31 pm by Azerty »
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:11 pm »

This makes sense. I don't see any reason for, if they completely overlap, one dwarf to have the dining room and another to have the bedroom. This should be in the game.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:28 pm »

I like this ! Also a way to have families share rooms would help the situation

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 02:01:55 am »

This would also be handy for assigning rooms to elected officials.  Even if the game can't automatically reassign those rooms, having a "Mayor's Quarters" set of linked rooms that could be quickly reassigned to the new mayor manually would be nice.
Better yet, assign rooms to "The Mayor" rather than to whoever currently happens to hold the office.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 08:17:30 am »

This is not such an easy change - currently, multiple rooms can be assigned to the same dwarf, and they'll choose which room to use for any purpose by vicinity, not quality.

Without further changes, your mayor would have their Fine Bedroom, but might still sleep in their Meagre dirthole they had before being elected and get massive unhappiness from that. Similarly, a manager elected mayor could decide to hold a meeting in their managerial meagre cubicle instead of the mayoral throneroom.

There'd either need to be extra code in place to make sure a dwarf gets unassigned from a previous room when elected/nominated into office (what when the duchess is elected mayor? What when the mayor has to step down but still is the manager?); or some code that forces them to use the highest-quality applicable and reachable room for the various room functions (sleep, meetings, dining). The latter would be non-trivial, but probably still easier and cleaner overall.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 12:12:46 am »

Better yet, assign rooms to "The Mayor" rather than to whoever currently happens to hold the office.
I believe that was the idea, yes; that the rooms would belong to the position, rather than the individual holding it.

Just generally being able to assign rooms to any group, beyond just families or roles, could be interesting once guilds, cults and such start affecting the fortress mode more (or even having them claim rooms on their own, barring entry to others and forcing you to work around them or throw them out). Another potential use would be embassies or enclaves; other civilizations being given a set of rooms for their own use. And once you've got that in, you can start getting turf wars between the different groups and all kinds of Fun.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:15:41 am by Jheral »

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:52:13 pm »

I like this - would it be easiest for Toady to incorporate linked-room improvements when he gets to room/zone-based workshops? Because this looks like it would fit in really well with the idea of designating rooms like zones. When you use the room-designator option it could have an option to "Link adjacent rooms", and a "link to room" option in the room's activity/q menu similar to what we currently have in stockpiles. Ideally room-linking would work wherever it makes sense - you might link a kitchen to a dining room (especially when food gets fixed), finished good piles to trade depots (or all sorts of stockpiles to relevant markets when trade/the economy gets fixed...this would be useful for making and managing a trade-hub fortress), wells to hospitals, etc etc...

Just generally being able to assign rooms to any group, beyond just families or roles, could be interesting once guilds, cults and such start affecting the fortress mode more (or even having them claim rooms on their own, barring entry to others and forcing you to work around them or throw them out). Another potential use would be embassies or enclaves; other civilizations being given a set of rooms for their own use. And once you've got that in, you can start getting turf wars between the different groups and all kinds of Fun.  ;)

Yes please, this. And burrow improvements so you can do similar things/have them happen. "The mortuary guild have taken over Gatehall Burrow! Until you place a Memorial Hall and five coffins there they won't allow anybody to pass through!