Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF or Similar Roguelike in Space?  (Read 3941 times)

DF or Similar Roguelike in Space?
« on: February 22, 2014, 12:35:10 am »

I saw someone calling Aurora the Dwarf Fortress of space games, but I was a little disappointed that it's really only like DF in complexity. It's a typical 4X game, but with massive amounts of... stuff. It's mostly spread sheets and graphs, though. There's nothing like going onto a planet and building a base like building a fortress in DF; again, it's just a super complex 4X game.

However, it got me thinking... Is there some kind of game similar to DF's adventure mode set in space? A roguelike with minimal graphics, but complexity set in space with space craft travel/combat? Something like Starbound, but more in the style of DF in complexity (and ASCII graphics would be nice :D).

If it were at all possible, I would just simply mod DF to be played that way, but it would require changing stuff that can't be modded. I could make it sci-fi, but it would still all be planet based with no ship battles. It would be freaking awesome if you could start as a little colony group, build a big ass mothership as your fort and fly it to a new planet, while space pirates try to attack your ship in transit.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:37:47 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

blazing glory

Re: DF or Similar Roguelike in Space?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:40:20 am »

Unfortunatly,most roguelikes like dwarf fortress and such are rare to find similer games of.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:23:25 am »

Ascii Sector is sort of like that, but it appears to have been abandoned. Still perfectly playable as is, though!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:48:54 am »

Check out Other Games.
Somebody made a game that's basically DF in space, but the name eludes me right now.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 05:24:31 am »

Check out Other Games.
Somebody made a game that's basically DF in space, but the name eludes me right now.

I bet it's the post to Aurora.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:56:23 am »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 11:30:15 am »

I saw someone calling Aurora the Dwarf Fortress of space games, but I was a little disappointed that it's really only like DF in complexity.

DF's complexity is what sets it apart from other roguelikes.

Rimworld is super simplistic. It's also not really "in space".

I'd recommend Prospector for the Adventure Mode aspect. AsciiSector is not abandoned but is extremely slow to update and is more Space Trader and less DF.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:33:16 am by BigD145 »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 01:20:42 pm »

There's Spacebase DF-9.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 09:17:07 pm »

AsciiSector is not abandoned but is extremely slow to update and is more Space Trader and less DF.

Unfortunately AsciiSector is abandoned, its creator haven't even posted for a year, and stopped AsciiSector development even earlier.
The is some info in the wiki: http://asciisector.wikia.com/wiki/Ascii_Sector_Wiki
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 10:09:25 pm »

Ah, I hadn't seen that. The time between last update and the one before had been a year or so.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 12:24:54 am »

The only thing even remotely close to DF in space is X3: Terran Conflict/X3: Albion Prelude. 

There's trade, economy, AI, worker automation and deep complexity. 

The world isn't randomly generated however.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:39:41 am »

In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 07:36:29 am »

So I am trying out the ASCII Sector game, and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, with the exception of maybe constructing the ship myself.

Rimworld looks cool, but not really what I was looking for. As I mentioned earlier, I could very easily modify DF itself to play like that or Prison Architect, where instead of fantasy stuff it's modern or sci-fi; but it would still be plain old Fortress Mode.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 09:43:39 am »

You might be looking for Maia. It has nice graphics, loads of accident-related humour, a good chunk of inspiration from DF and you can play it right now, provided you pay for it. It's up at Steam.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 01:18:24 pm »

I wish I'd seen a big list of roguelikes like this before just now:

http://facepunch.com/threads/1146642

I only noticed one other space rogulike listed there:

http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/index.html

It's certainly not ASCII; the description and video makes me think it's a cross between FTL and Escape Velocity.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1] 2