Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Inquisition - OOC thread  (Read 4916 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Inquisition - OOC thread
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 09:20:59 pm »

Awesome to know it's still going. Fair warning my character is being a bit...odd for her family
Tragedy dissent end with glorious retribution, for she still seeks it. Oh an very quirky.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:57 pm »

Sheet complete. Hey S&R, if Mbun!fu is chosen as Head Inquisitor, can the headquarters be located in Pwani? Since it is a coastal country near the rest of the Western lands, I figured it would be an appropriate location.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:16 pm »

Well voting it is then. Have to see if Azthor joins and makes it 3 leaders now.

Although coastal does seem a bad fit. Don't we want something a little more central in the east rather then right on the edge?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:57:20 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 09:35:15 pm »

Well voting it is then. Have to see if Azthor joins and makes it 3 leaders now.

Although coastal does seem a bad fit. Don't we want soetching a little more central in the east rather then right on the edge?

Well, do we want to be IN the East or next to it?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 09:49:28 pm »

Few comments on your sheet, TCM. While it is a bit of a tonal departure to say the least, I can see that you've put a lot of effort into it and I rather like it. I have no particular problem with more exotic characters, as long as you try to avoid special snowflake syndrome ("I'm different!") or make it into a gimmick of yours to say "That's not how it works in my homeland". Looking at your sheet, though, I'm certain that won't be a problem. I would prefer, however, if you wrote your character's name using only the twenty-six standard alphabetical symbols, as I do not have a clue what the ! represents, how it is pronounced, or why it is essential (if the signification is important to you just write it phonetically).

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 09:56:48 pm »

Well my character sees the order as created to rule the people to bring peace as the church did for his homeland and that requires military strength.

From a military point of view defending a coastal base with our limited stength is substantially harder then a town in the center of a kingdom. The people won't attack us and we can expand outwards bringing population centers into our control 1 by 1 and as we expand we effectively create defenses in the form of all the loyal people to us.
On the coast we're vulnerable to sea borne attacks from any kingdoms that dislike our rise to power and we have to build a fleet to defend ourselves as well as an army. Plus people are more apt to accept a ruler who is one of them then one who lived apart from them.

Although for my character it makes no real difference his role will be the same either way we'd just need to find somebody who shares the faith and has naval skills to put in charge of a defense fleet.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:58:39 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 09:58:41 pm »

I just want glory and power!

I'm voting for teneros as leader.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:01 pm »

I'm voting Terenos as well. He's far more the kind of person my character would respect.

But my character doesn't seek any glory or power he just wants to unite the people under our rule so they can be protected. Looking at our group my character is suited to being the leader of our defensive forces. Since all our other fighters are heavily slanted towards offense.

We have.

Ghazkull who seems to be a mix of interrogator, logistics and steward.
Ardas who is a heavily offensive style war leader.
Adwarf who is an offensive style war leader on a smaller scale or maybe heretic hunt leader.
Giglamesh who looks like a raid leader or scout leader.
3Man who's a missionary style character.
Me who is a largely defensive leader and missionary.

Then TCM and Terenos to decide on leader from. Pretty good mix assuming I've made the right conclusions on everybody.
Caine's law.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 10:18:14 pm »

Few comments on your sheet, TCM. While it is a bit of a tonal departure to say the least, I can see that you've put a lot of effort into it and I rather like it. I have no particular problem with more exotic characters, as long as you try to avoid special snowflake syndrome ("I'm different!") or make it into a gimmick of yours to say "That's not how it works in my homeland". Looking at your sheet, though, I'm certain that won't be a problem. I would prefer, however, if you wrote your character's name using only the twenty-six standard alphabetical symbols, as I do not have a clue what the ! represents, how it is pronounced, or why it is essential (if the signification is important to you just write it phonetically).

I will try my very best to avoid becoming the Mysterious Foreigner Mary Sue archetype; it's helped by the fact that Mbun!fu embraces the Western cultures rather than rejects him. I'd rather use his cultural points as way to fit in cool little details as opposed to trying to outdo everyone else in uniqueness.

The '!' in names refers to a click consonant frequently used in several native African languages. It is pronounced by flicking one's tongue quickly against the roof of their mouth, producing the clicking sound. Because the sound is not recognized by any singular letter, the exclamation point is used in wording. When you flick your tongue against the roof of your mouth, what letter are you making? That's the conundrum.
If it would help, I'd like him to keep the name, but perhaps due to his passion to the Holy Trinity religion, he can be christened with a Western title, in the same manner that Popes or Saints get names.

Well my character sees the order as created to rule the people to bring peace as the church did for his homeland and that requires military strength.

From a military point of view defending a coastal base with our limited stength is substantially harder then a town in the center of a kingdom. The people won't attack us and we can expand outwards bringing population centers into our control 1 by 1 and as we expand we effectively create defenses in the form of all the loyal people to us.
On the coast we're vulnerable to sea borne attacks from any kingdoms that dislike our rise to power and we have to build a fleet to defend ourselves as well as an army. Plus people are more apt to accept a ruler who is one of them then one who lived apart from them.

Although for my character it makes no real difference his role will be the same either way we'd just need to find somebody who shares the faith and has naval skills to put in charge of a defense fleet.

Where exactly are we starting from then? A Holy Trinity-controled Western town? A neutral one? One filled with dissenters and such?

The trading river mentioned is specifically for trading, which means that we would have difficulty managing our own fleet, but simultaneously would deter the aims of an enemy navy if they attempted to sail in waters unsuitable for military/raiding aquatic vehicles.

One of the main reasons I choose the Recruiter was so that we would have an easier time having a guard to protect ourselves. Really, I see no need for a fleet in the beginning if we have a guarding force of archers, which could handle enemy armies with conventional methods, and use incendiary missiles against ships, which of course would be easy targets as they attempt to navigate a river meant for merchant vessels.

On the contrary, I think people would approve of having an unconventional leader who promises new systems and implementations to aid a previously lackluster development. Plus, he's very positive about the West and Holy Trinity Religion. It would be like during the Crusades, if the Holy Order suddenly came across an Arab country who converted to Christianity and would aid them with all the technology and strategy that the former lacked.

Please note that if elected leader, I'll be flexible with any changes that you all would collectively wish for in regards to the Headquarters.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 10:22:01 pm »

We're actually starting in the east, as darker things are beginning to cross the mountains. We are to shore up the border and keep the faith in the Trinity strong!
Theoretically this would mean that these are Alliance lands, though possibly somewhat lawless, and definitely with a few heretics.

There is an alliance of kingdoms, mostly west of us. We likely wont be visiting them.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 10:33:36 pm »

I have drawn an amazing map of the currently relevant lands in the Inquisition world, though only S&G can declare how Canon it is, if at all. I drew it just specifically to show my conception of where Nyumbani and Pwani are in regards to the West and East.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:50 pm »

I guess. I just think it'd be better to be in the east where the trouble is coming so we're in the thick of it where were a veryvisible presence. NIt at the far end of the kingdom.
Caine's law.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:05 pm »

So you'd like to be right smack-dab in the East?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:16 pm »

Pretty much. Can't defend the people if your on the opposite side of the kingdom from your enemy.
Caine's law.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 10:51:40 pm »

I should have clarified that everything in that half-crescent beneath the Southern Sea constitutes Pwani, not just the circle. The circle is the main metropolitan area. It's pretty close to the East really.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6