Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Inquisition - OOC thread  (Read 4915 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: Inquisition - OOC thread
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 12:43:44 pm »

Firearms will be present in the game eventually, but for a few reasons (balance and preservation of loot value, mostly) I'd prefer if your character was not used to using / having firearms. I want to keep them very, very rare. As for xisteras, unless I'm mistaken I think I remember them being never really used as weapons - they wouldn't be accurate and reliable enough to have a use in warfare.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 12:58:50 pm »

Firearms will be present in the game eventually, but for a few reasons (balance and preservation of loot value, mostly) I'd prefer if your character was not used to using / having firearms. I want to keep them very, very rare. As for xisteras, unless I'm mistaken I think I remember them being never really used as weapons - they wouldn't be accurate and reliable enough to have a use in warfare.

Well, there goes my initial idea for wrecking Plate Armor with high-speed missiles. Oh well, not a huge deal.

How non-historical can we get? My other idea for developments in my country was for their Calvary to ride Gazelle-like mounts.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »

The setting is high fantasy, so you can go fairly ahistorical, as long as you keep in mind that magic is considered to be unholy and that technology is similar to that of the late middle ages. You can invent fantastic creatures for your kingdom, but use logic (an animal with the body strength of a gazelle could not be used as cavalry, for example) and try to avoid making things based entirely around one gimmick / making a Planet of Hats. That second part is mostly a "Keep it simple" rule - if it acts like a horse and it has the same uses as a horse and you would use it as a replacement for horses, just use horses, to keep the setting simple for everyone's sakes.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 01:33:23 pm »

I suppose you're right. I was just trying to find some interesting concepts to incorporate, as everyone else has their various European-style Countries, and I'd like to go for something a bit different with an Arab/African-style civilization.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »

I was aiming more mongolian for my civilisation.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 01:48:47 pm »

I was aiming more mongolian for my civilisation.

Yeah, I can see that now.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 02:09:51 pm »

Possibly look at nations like Nubia or Numidia? There were soem quite advanced African civilisations, but I must admit I don't recall them at all.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 02:11:50 pm »

I'm doing more of a Cuban thing with mines.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:22 am »

Name: Gustav Swanberg.
Race: Human
Patron deity: The Smith.
Nation of origin and information: Tranah, a kingdom of farmers and herders. Most of the territory held by Tranah is bountiful farmland, or ample grazing pastures, or even cultivated marshes and swamps. There is no terrain that a Tranah farmer does not know how to farm effectively.

Tranah controls large territories leading up to the Sea of Dreams, and has a burgeoning population. It primarily exports crops, and herbs of many varieties. Its armies however are never particularly well trained, with its people preferring to focus on learning the arts of the land, rather that warfare.

Physical appearance: A balding man of average height, and stout build. What little hair remains on his head is a dark brown, and he wears his long beard in dwarven style; a braid hung with small rings. He is in his mid twenties.
Backstory: Gustav is the second son of an Earl, from a modest earldom in the kingdom of Tranah, in the southwestern reaches of the Alliance. Gustav grew up quiet and capable, excelling at all his studies, even as his older brother showed less brilliance. As a noble of Tranah, he was expected to learn a weapon, but the bulk of his studies concerned husbandry of the land.

Some short time after his sixteenth birthday, a foul wind blew from the local marshes, and in the night people from all walks of life began to disappear. The people panicked and an armed militia headed into the marsh. Only a few returned, driven mad by what they saw there. There was no time to rally any troops to purge the swamps, for the cultists, robed in brown and wielding strange powers, struck at the township of Wilkinsville. Gustav fought bravely, cutting down nearly a dozen of the cultists before his brother went down to a hex. Escaping with his brothers body, he fled to the nearest church of the Trinity. Unfortunately they could do nothing to awaken his elder brother.

Those who returned to Wilkinsville after that day found a deserted ghost town, with no sign of the cultists whatsoever. No one has attempted to settle there in the five years since.

Reason(s) for assignment: Gustav has already built himself a small reputation for simply surviving in the face of the wizard-cultists who attacked his home. With the vast majority of his family murdered by wizard-cultists, and his older brother surviving in what appears to be a magically induced sleep, Gustav passed on his responsibility to rule to a group of regents so that he could begin hunting those responsible. In time his investigations, and the brutal way he dealt with suspicion brought him to the attention of the Council, and from there through calling in favors owed to his house, to a posting in the Inquisition.

Do you wish to be the High Inquisitor? Yes. (HQ information to follow when we get a headquarters.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:22:01 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 03:38:56 pm »

The apps are looking good, and we'll be ready to start relatively soon. I want to give TCM and Azthor a chance to make their sheets, if they're still interested, and I also need the Headquarters information, Terenos. The game will start as the Inquisition arrive at their new Headquarters, and you will have to expand your influence and activities from there.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 03:44:30 pm »

Okay, posting to keep an eye on this, and possibly apping in as a on-human (You humanocentric bastards! :P )
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 04:28:11 pm »

Is Terenos the only one or did anybody else go for leader as well?
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 04:39:25 pm »

Just me. Suffer beneath my tyrannical yoke.

Headquarters name: Castle Altburg
Headquarters characteristics:
Inside a city, At The Border , Equipped with civilian facilities, Large and in Disrepair, Advantageous Geography for Defense.

Headquarters description: It is an ancient craggy castle situated directly beside a raging, rock strewn river. The river is absolutely unusable for trade, but cannot be crossed by current conventional means. Over the centuries this location has been contested by tribal chiefs, warlords, petty kings, and even occasionally bandits. Several different architectural styles are in evidence around the castle.

Since its conquest by the Alliance, it has decayed year after year. It is but a shell of its former glory, drafty, damp, and uncomfortable. No campaigns of expansion to the east mean the funds are not available for its restoration.
Retainers of note: Loremaster, Recruiter, Engineer
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 04:46:15 pm »

I think we'll get along fine. Your family died my family died. You killed the people who killed them I killed the people who killed them. Plus my character is the build fortresses to dominate the land protect the innocent kind of minion. He'll be a very good loyal minion so long as you don't actually call him a minion :P.

So far it's a very diverse group, every character seems to have a fairly unique skill set and it seems to cover all the organizations major needs.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:01:30 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »

Give me about an hour or so and I'll have everything sorted.

Took a bit longer than I expected, but it's 80% complete.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:07:29 pm by TCM »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6