Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Doom 2 Mapping  (Read 3243 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Doom 2 Mapping
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »

I wouldn't use idgames anyway unless you really wanna have to go with the proper readme format and everything, do the FTP shit and then on top of all that expose it to doomworld newstuff reviewing.

Just use a filehosting site of some kind or dropbox or something.

Yeah, was thinking about that. I'll try it now. :)

Edit : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug160s239fpyo7i/ERROR.wad

It's a MAP01 map. It's pistol only on UV. I apologise for not having changed the music yet! I think the front of the map was inspired by Computer Storage from Scythe 1. Tell me if it's too hard, or if there's any blatantly misaligned textures, etc.

Double Edit : How embarrassing, I immediately spotted a misaligned light while playing through it. I'll re-upload it a bit later with another level. I also added a bit of ammo and health in on UV and other difficulties, as it forced you to play in a particular way beforehand.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:43:04 pm by Korbac »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 07:17:45 pm »

I wouldn't use idgames anyway unless you really wanna have to go with the proper readme format and everything, do the FTP shit and then on top of all that expose it to doomworld newstuff reviewing.

Just use a filehosting site of some kind or dropbox or something.

Yeah, was thinking about that. I'll try it now. :)

Edit : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug160s239fpyo7i/ERROR.wad

It's a MAP01 map. It's pistol only on UV. I apologise for not having changed the music yet! I think the front of the map was inspired by Computer Storage from Scythe 1. Tell me if it's too hard, or if there's any blatantly misaligned textures, etc.

Double Edit : How embarrassing, I immediately spotted a misaligned light while playing through it. I'll re-upload it a bit later with another level. I also added a bit of ammo and health in on UV and other difficulties, as it forced you to play in a particular way beforehand.
I decided to give your map a try and I must say I liked it. I really did. I did play it with brutal doom though, so it wasn't exactly easy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 07:23:14 pm »

I know Brutal Doom adds a lot of gore to the game (as well as giving Hell Knights anatomically - correct blood colouring) but does it affect difficulty? :)

Many thanks, Deathsword! :)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 07:26:17 pm »

I know Brutal Doom adds a lot of gore to the game (as well as giving Hell Knights anatomically - correct blood colouring) but does it affect difficulty? :)

Many thanks, Deathsword! :)
It does. Zombiemen are real threats, for example. I died quite a few times to them, in fact.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 07:35:50 pm »

I gave it a play since I was bored and felt like trying something totally new. Played vanilla in gzdoom since you mentioned using the zdoom format.

I'm going to be honest,since I'm pretty sure in the long run you'd appreciate me being honest rather than nice. Is this your first map? Because it's easier to just mention that rather than single anything out. But Ill try and say what I felt was wrong. If this really was your first map take this in stride if you can, no one started out great.

First up, what's with the lighting? This is doom, unless you're gonna take the effort to make it make sense you need moody lighting. Hell there's almost no variation in light level throughout the entire level. This isn't wolfenstein 3D, put some effort into it. Secondly, why did you focus exclusively on imps, demons and former humans? This is in map one but you don't have to be that damn boring with enemy variety. Hell all you get is even a pistol, this alone makes going through this level agonizing since the layout of the monsters and the terrain are simply not compelling. Speaking of the terrain and the lines, the architecture of the level is ridiculously simplistic. Outside of an out of place leaky spot on the wall spilling out to a little pool there's hardly a scrap of detail in the entire map.

I'd start over and revisit whatever theme or idea you attempted. This is 2014, not 1993. This simply isn't presentable.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »

Ouch. :P Alright, well thanks, I suppose. I've always tried to do more 'retro' inspired maps, because those are most of the stuff I'm fond of, but I'll put a bit of detailing in if you think it needs it.

There wasn't much opportunity for lighting here or in MAP02, but MAP03 has much more of a gloomy feel with light piercing through some areas. I do use it, just not all the time. :)

The architecture is a little bit wonk I suppose. It's kind of hard to design purposeful rooms in DOOM, beyond sludge - factories, computer labs or marble temples. I wanted the level to be quick, action - filled and also have a little bit of recursiveness so it doesn't feel like an A to B exercise.

I know three enemy types for the first level isn't exactly exciting but I wanted it to be pistol on UV to actually make it a challenge without throwing the player every weapon right off the bat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83eac2f6au2m25h/ERROR2.wad

^ Here's MAP02 for you, Deathsword! :) (and anyone else who wants to play / have a look.) [Janet, I'm afraid that this one isn't any better, despite containing more enemies, weapons and actually having a key]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:36:14 pm by Korbac »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 10:29:35 pm »

This has inspired me to build a complete map.  Hopefully I'll get it out by the end of the week for testing.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 10:33:00 pm »

I'm looking forward, Bouchart. I'm always hungry for more levels to play. :P

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 04:58:23 pm »

I actually was bored again, so I gave level 2 a try.

I gotta say, compared to the first one this is actually improved quite a bit. It's still ugly looking, mostly since again, light levels are almost always the same, and there's several areas where you used pretty much the same color for everything. But the actual flow and gameplay of this one were pretty fun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My suggestion is try working on detail and texturing choices a bit. You seem to understand gameplay flow and feel better than I thought. I personally still feel the first level was a bit awkward after a replay mostly since it was designed as a pistol only level, yet it doesn't feel like one, or really attempt to take advantage of the limitation.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:45 pm »

Thanks Janet. I agree my texturing choice is usually pretty bad and I have (as you've seen) an unusual affection for terrible base browns. I mean, does anyone REALLY like STARTAN? That grey room as well with the metal structure on it could probably do with some more stuff on the walls. Thanks for the feedback. I must admit it knocked me straight in the ego when I first read it, but after I thought about I realized you were right.

I'm still working on MAP03, which is beginning to suffer from the Doom Engines 2d nature. It's not super - duper huge, but it's mainly corridor - linked, meaning a big, mazey - mess unless I make gratuitous use of teleporters (which I don't like as they are kind of a cop - out imo.) It's got much more use of lightning, although I'm not quite sure if a section with beams of light across pitch darkness is a good idea yet. Testing with enemies included will tell.

Did anyone find any secrets? :)

Edit : MAP03 still going on. I might have to lighten the sewer maze, which sucks - I was originally going to have people dash from light to light, but if you can't find the corners / junctions, it makes that a bit difficult. :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:27:08 pm by Korbac »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 12:02:41 pm »

How's the map coming along Bouchart? :)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 02:03:00 pm »

I plan to do some work on it tonight, since I haven't since Monday.  It's a relatively simple map, so don't have high expectations.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »

Whats the best editor for doom map making?  I spent ages in UnrealEd for Unreal 1 and made a few DM and SP maps 10+ years ago.

Is there a wysiwyg editor like UED or is it like the cad 2d editor that was around for Half Life 1 or etc etc?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 05:26:26 pm »

I'm not sure about most of those but I use Doombuilder 2 and that seems to work very well.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 05:28:20 pm »

I'm using Doom Builder 2, and haven't tried any others.  There are a few features that I find unintuitive, like doors and switches, but the rest has been easy enough to use.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_Builder_2
Pages: 1 [2] 3