Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - GAME OVER  (Read 25639 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 1 - Winter
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2014, 09:41:05 pm »

Gorram it.

Why can you conquer but not expand? That makes less than no sense.

Fortify both owned tiles. Irritatedly.
Actually, Channel the two non-river non-ocean borders adjacent to Tile 141, if doing so would turn tile 141 into a lake. Otherwise, fortify both owned tiles and submit a suggestion to that effect.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:52:03 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:13 pm »

Because it's harder to build stuff in the snow than it is to kill other people in the snow? Or to put it in game mechanics words, to provide balance; half the year is for expanding and jockeying for position, the other half is for using brute force to achieve your goals. Brace yourself and all that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2014, 11:49:12 pm »

1. Not really. It's a lot easier to deal with snowdrifts when no one's trying to kill you. I can't think of any winter-related problems that war makes easier (although I can think of several war-related problems that winter makes easier, such as defending Russia from an until-then-moderately-successful conqueror).

2. Conquer being allowed during fall is illogical.

3. It means that, during winter, if you don't have anyone to attack or anywhere to build cities, all you can do is fortify. Or use Heresies, I guess, but no need for that is present at the moment unless I wanted to aqua-snipe someone.
Damn. Choices, choices.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 02:29:21 am »

Growing and Improving are at alternating months, Expanding is in the first half of the year, Conquering in the second. It's supposed to encourage mixed strategies and thinking your actions ahead. It gives players that aren't completely conquered a chance to recover. If you still don't like it at the end of the game, but forward an argument for change.

Due to the wording, I note that deluge can be used on ocean tiles (not intended as it doesn't make much sense). Maybe all the rain washes the sea water away... Ocean lines don't currently count as rivers for the purpose of making lakes, because the water runs into the sea-- as you can see with 166.

As for merfolk, I didn't want to give them many more abilities in excess of everyone else (nor turn them into the must-have Aquatic pick).

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 06:39:37 am »

Fortify 44
Build a city on 44
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:25:44 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 06:47:50 am »

As my turn isn't going to be effect by anything anyone else does, I'm going to go ahead and mimic the Council of Trees to gain forests as a favoured terrain, and build cities on 128 and 154. Then I'll fortify 141.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2014, 07:21:42 am »

Wait for 3rd coming
Build a city on 44

On second though don't fecund.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2014, 07:47:50 am »

City 46
Hug treehouses 46

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2014, 08:32:18 am »

Just Dariush and DarkPaladin now.

Wait for 3rd coming
Build a city on 44

On second though don't fecund.
City 46
Hug treehouses 46

Remember guys that you can fortify as an Improve action in Winter if you like (there's absolutely no harm in ever fortifying).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2014, 08:40:31 am »

Growing and Improving are at alternating months, Expanding is in the first half of the year, Conquering in the second. It's supposed to encourage mixed strategies and thinking your actions ahead. It gives players that aren't completely conquered a chance to recover. If you still don't like it at the end of the game, but forward an argument for change.
True enough, but it does lead to winter being used for fortifying tiles if you don't have any enemies to invade or any cities you can (and will) settle.

Due to the wording, I note that deluge can be used on ocean tiles (not intended as it doesn't make much sense). Maybe all the rain washes the sea water away... Ocean lines don't currently count as rivers for the purpose of making lakes, because the water runs into the sea-- as you can see with 166.
Mind if I ask why? I mean, lakes do.

As for merfolk, I didn't want to give them many more abilities in excess of everyone else (nor turn them into the must-have Aquatic pick).
Perhaps, but at the moment merfolk are lackluster. "Yay, I can expand into ocean tiles more easily! I don't really get anything from them, but yay?"
Sig

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2014, 08:59:28 am »

GWG
True enough, but it does lead to winter being used for fortifying tiles if you don't have any enemies to invade or any cities you can (and will) settle.
I think that's okay. Players are encouraged to think ahead about what they're going to do in Fall and Winter.

It was a decision I made, part of it visual. Originally, I was going to allow lake tiles next to ocean tiles but when I was designing the latest map I thought it looked less elegant, especially as they're called lake tiles now, rather than river/lake tiles. It also acts as a limit on the Aquatic's almost unstoppable power to create lakes.

Perhaps, but at the moment merfolk are lackluster. "Yay, I can expand into ocean tiles more easily! I don't really get anything from them, but yay?"
It might want changing, but you do get vast highly-defensible pop-cap increasing space to expand out into. Hopefully, you'll like it in the mid-to-late game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2014, 09:15:14 am »

It was a decision I made, part of it visual. Originally, I was going to allow lake tiles next to ocean tiles but when I was designing the latest map I thought it looked less elegant, especially as they're called lake tiles now, rather than river/lake tiles. It also acts as a limit on the Aquatic's almost unstoppable power to create lakes.
Limits are good and all, but it's better if they make sense.
And there are rivers along lake-coasts; why not have a similar thing along sea-coasts/

It might want changing, but you do get vast highly-defensible pop-cap increasing space to expand out into. Hopefully, you'll like it in the mid-to-late game
Yes, but you can't do anything with that space. It's like a heavily fortified desert (without oil); no one's going to be able to enter it without extreme effort, but why bother?
Sig

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2014, 09:32:59 am »

I forgot that you can fortify tiles.

I would like to change the treehouse hugging to treehouse reinforcing if it's not a big problem.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2014, 09:43:36 am »

GWG
Limits are good and all, but it's better if they make sense.
And there are rivers along lake-coasts; why not have a similar thing along sea-coasts/
I ummed and arred about the rivers around lakes, but ultimately I decided to have them there as a naturalistic way of draining lakes. This is definitely something we can review at the end of the game.

Yes, but you can't do anything with that space. It's like a heavily fortified desert (without oil); no one's going to be able to enter it without extreme effort, but why bother?
If you've got actions going spare or you want to take a short-cut between two peninsulas or you're worried about being invaded. The species actions give tactical choices. I can imagine a leveller merfolk player expanding along the coast, raiding as they go; or any merfolk player wanting to expand around a tough foe blocking them off.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2014, 09:46:13 am »

If you've got actions going spare or you want to take a short-cut between two peninsulas or you're worried about being invaded. The species actions give tactical choices. I can imagine a leveller merfolk player expanding along the coast, raiding as they go; or any merfolk player wanting to expand around a tough foe blocking them off.
Well, they can really only expand around a tough foe that they've pretty much surrounded already, since (again) no one cares about the ocean.
The peninsula thing might have merit, but there aren't many peninsulas where it's a lot faster to expand across the water than the land...and expanding across the land gives you, you know, land.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26