Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - GAME OVER  (Read 25588 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 2/8
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 08:39:40 am »

I'm starting this tonight, in about six hours time.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 6/8
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 03:01:57 pm »

Year One - Spring

Some heresies never die. After the brutal quashing of the Bountiful of Hexland, splinter cells spread throughout many of the disgruntled swine of the East Hexian Company, second class citizens of a land that could have been theirs. The met in secret forest groves and revived the dead philosophy, wearing the symbols of feather and tree. The Pearly Swines formed, and set out north to sea, in hope of new jungle paradises. But their words of power had awoken the trees, and those that they left behind formed a Council that set to sea, floating on the great tides.

In the cities of of Hexland, a charismatic leader emerged, uniting swine to his banner. This babe, prince among pigs, preached the Builder word: "let the humans carry on the good work raising cities in Hexland, whilst we go beyond and seek new lands." And so a new republic was born on the waves.

In Hexland's Free Troll State the cramped mountain halls were over-run by millions of hungry trolls. Expedition after expedition left, disappearing over the horizon never to be seen again. The Intern-Net Trolls, a clan led by a former prison warden and a fisher-troll, set out north on boats of slate.

With the death of Leviathan, the seas were once more filled with merfolk, once harangued and chased away from these lands. One group, The Lakers, chased off by their kinsmen for the Leviathan-worshipping Aquatic heresy, sought refuge in fresh lands.

They all head north to an unsullied land, but they are not alone. A force from the realm of the Djinn have forced their way into this world, an Empire of Sand, seeking to level it all...

Spoiler: Year 1 - Spring (click to show/hide)

In Spring you can: Grow, Expand, Raze, Raid, Dismantle, as well as doing a heresy-specific action. When it's your turn, pick an embarkation point (this is a free action). You're advised to pick a point some distance away from the others. Submit your turn as soon as the person above you in the order has submitted their turn. I'll process the entire season in one go, so make sure you read other people's actions before submitting your own.

Turn order:
cerapa [pop.1]
DarkPaladin [pop.1]
GreatWyrmGold [pop.1]
Dariush [pop.1]
Monk12 [pop.1]
a1s [pop.1]

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 1 - Spring
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:48 am »

Can we fortify cities? And can Scorch Eath be used to turn lakes into deserts?

Also, suggestion for the next game: fishing as an alternate source of food.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:27 am »

Can we fortify cities? And can Scorch Eath be used to turn lakes into deserts?

Also, suggestion for the next game: fishing as an alternate source of food.
Yes and yes (but if the tile is surrounded by rivers it'll turn straight back into a lake, so you'll want to drain at least one river line first), and if it can be made relatively balanced in comparison to farming, sure.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 02:49:45 am »

I'm going to assume the since the game has started that I can no longer join... Alas. Ptw!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59:55 am »

I'm going to assume the since the game has started that I can no longer join... Alas. Ptw!
Well as no one's posted a move yet, if you quickly make up a civ there's still two potential slots left.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 03:29:56 am »

(but if the tile is surrounded by rivers it'll turn straight back into a lake, so you'll want to drain at least one river line first)
Uh, I don't see this part anywhere in the rules. Besides, why does this work like this? Can't we have islands surrounded by rivers?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 04:09:20 am »

(but if the tile is surrounded by rivers it'll turn straight back into a lake, so you'll want to drain at least one river line first)
Uh, I don't see this part anywhere in the rules. Besides, why does this work like this? Can't we have islands surrounded by rivers?
It's under the Aquatic section, they can create new lakes by surrounding a tile with rivers:
Channel: Create a river line on a border that joins an existing river line. A river line cannot form the border between any tile and an ocean tile. If a non-mountain tile is completely surrounded by river lines, it turns into a lake.

I'll update the section on rivers and lakes to reflect this. It works this way because it gives a more contested way to create and disperse lakes: players have an incentive to settle next to rivers for the irrigation and defence, but an Aquatic player can exploit this by flooding tiles. The 'island in a lake' is essentially what the lake tiles are. I imagine each one is like a little swamp or lagoon with lots of tiny islands.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 08:34:29 am »

...and if it can be made relatively balanced in comparison to farming, sure.
Part of the issue is that farming has literally the lowest possible yield (1 population per tile), so aside from...I dunno, making it take three actions per year or something, it's going to need to be as good as farming.

Besides, why does this work like this? Can't we have islands surrounded by rivers?
Um, significant islands are surrounded by larger bodies of lakes than rivers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 09:00:34 am »

It works this way because it gives a more contested way to create and disperse lakes: players have an incentive to settle next to rivers for the irrigation and defence, but an Aquatic player can exploit this by flooding tiles.
Frankly, I don't like this. Aquatics are the only ones benefiting from this behaviour and they already have a lakifiying action. I'd prefer seeing their Deluge range extended by one tile instead, with a one-action discount if the tile they target is surrounded by at least let's say four rivers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 09:21:18 am »

"I don't like that Aquatics have more than one way of doing the same thing."
Well, unlike everyone else we've pretty much only got one thing to do, so please kindly deal with the potential danger of your areas being floodable if you settle in wet areas.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:25 am »

Well, I'd considered allowing everyone to do the channel action and allowing Aquatics to create any number of rivers around a hex for one action (which is essentially a more powerful version of Deluge, but requires a pre-existing river). But then they'd need a new second action.

As for fishing, maybe permanently investing one population for two seasons to get two pop back, so long as a player owns an ocean tile. So a pop 2 player would go fishing in winter, reducing them down to 1 pop, then (so long as they didn't lose the ocean) they'd begin the following spring with +2 population. It's more costly in the short term to end up with the same results as farming, but you're under no risk of raiding, and it's difficult and costly to invade ocean tiles, so maybe it balances out.

(This could be the Aquatic's second action?)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 09:29:58 am »

If it's Aquatic's second action, either it needs to be better than farming or the first action needs to be good enough to compensate.
Sig

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:31 am »

It wouldn't need to absolutely be better than farming, as they'd still be able to farm as well as fish. Massive river control/instant lakes + another possible food source is a potent combination. Still, as we've started the game and people have chosen their options, I'm loathe to make any big changes like that. Something to consider for HoH3.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 09:43:36 am »

My Turn:

Embark to: 33
Expand to: 46

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26