Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Are you ready for the tears?  (Read 4714 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Are you ready for the tears?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 11:29:30 am »

Go look up material tokens 15 and 16.
wow, and looking under that is number 17, which is an unknown white liquid....
And for more historical perspective on those, know that those three materials were added in version 0.27.169.32a (the very first 3D release of Dwarf Fortress) where they appeared in glowing pits populated by tentacle demons (and remained that way all the way up through version 0.28.181.40d).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 12:23:30 pm »

If bone meal is also included in the release, I know what definitely has to be modded in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:26:19 pm by Henny »
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:01:21 pm »

New megaproject idea:  A well of orphan tears.
The same blocker as before: most liquids are just objects not fluids.
In that case then the well would need some water for a filler. Similar to The Well of Unlife, just contaminate the water with sweet salty tears instead of vampire blood.

Sweat and tears which when consumed begin an amusing interaction! The plague of supreme mopy-ness; everybody who drinks from the well becomes extremely depressed. Healing "potion" by consuming the tears of... elves, I guess. Elves or mermaids. We'll have to ‼SCIENCE‼ whether or not non-fortress-member sentients can be made to cry through any means.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 10:55:00 pm »

From the sound of it, it's probably only related to discovering a dead relative, this following the devlog where grieving is directly related to dead body parts being discovered (although the mental image of a dwarf studying a molar for signs that it's his brothers is amusing). Making non-entity creatures cry will therefore be either extemely difficult or impossible, seeing as they won't have any relationships. I am, however, interested in the idea of adding syndromes to such liquids, so that a dwarf can cry tears of rage and actually gain combat stats from them.

EDIT:
Following the revelations earlier on in the page, material token 18 is GRIME; does this ever appear in-game? The wiki doesn't have a page for it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:59:43 pm by Crazy Cow »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 12:42:11 am »

Following the revelations earlier on in the page, material token 18 is GRIME; does this ever appear in-game? The wiki doesn't have a page for it.
It's sometimes left as a contaminant from mining away ice in frozen murky pools, and in buckets of stagnant water.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 01:06:06 am »

Seems reasonable, do liquids fall out of cages, can I capture an elf and put it in a glass cage and drawn them in their own tears?

Urist McBurgundy: "I AM IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION!!!"

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 04:02:08 pm »

Re: grime, I have some on my map. I channelled while everything was frozen to make my moat (for 3 seasons, at least) and well as it is a freezing biome. I have a few places in that channel where there is grime. It showed up red, and I was afraid that it was blood and I was going to have a vampire fort, but it hasn't made any problems so far.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 05:13:18 pm »

I don't know the original source of the statement, but I've read that Toady already nixed the idea of making toilet related fluids for the very reason of NOT wanting this place inundated with raw sewage trap designs. Not that that will stop a modder from making it so, considering some of the things this forum has produced.  :P

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 07:12:54 pm »

I think the real reason for no sewage is that it would require a complete rewrite of the fluid mechanics to allow the contaminants to be fluids themselves so they need to be flushed, instead of just be quantum stockpiled.

Sewage traps would be so fun, imagine the goblins dont want to come anymore after that.

And then "It is raining Filth_b"

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 07:20:30 pm »

*giggles like a maniac, strips and jumps in the nearest river*
Hardrade has gone stark raving mad!
Hardrade has drowned.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »

Mysterious white liquid from tentacle beasts? Quick, someone weaponize it.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 06:51:06 am »

I'm sure that in the next version traders will bring forth barrels full of hamster saliva and cave crocodile tears.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 07:38:37 am »

I think the real reason for no sewage is that it would require a complete rewrite of the fluid mechanics to allow the contaminants to be fluids themselves so they need to be flushed, instead of just be quantum stockpiled.

Sewage traps would be so fun, imagine the goblins dont want to come anymore after that.

Toady is planning on doing that fluid rewrite in the future regardless though :>

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 09:42:18 am »

Toady is planning on doing that fluid rewrite in the future regardless though :>

I want it so much, i want an actual river of pure flowing blood. Blood for the God of Blood!

And booze piping! we need booze pipes, like the dorfs from Overlord (such a cool game). Can we have faucets besides wells?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:00:00 am by klefenz »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 10:26:01 am »

I want it so much, i want an actual river of pure flowing blood. Blood for the God of Blood!

And booze piping! we need booze pipes, like the dorfs from Overlord (such a cool game). Can we have faucets besides wells?

Cut out the middleman, have a river of blood from creatures that have booze for blood.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 [2] 3