Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happens after the end of your fort?  (Read 1214 times)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
What happens after the end of your fort?
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:35:19 pm »

When a fort is destroyed, do monsters invade it, and does it take time for them to do it? I tried visited an old fort, and the only monster there was a troll that tore it apart, but nothing else. the reason im asking is because im gonna make a giant Labyrinth Tower full of traps, and I am hoping monsters would inhabit it. side note, can adventurers use building? 'cause my plan for the reward was a forge with an ample supply of fuel and metals.
Thanks.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happens after the end of your fort?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:06:14 pm »

The creatures that were there when it died will probably stay, but no new animals will take it over yet.

And currently Adventurers can't use workshops or craft anything without mods.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:09:44 pm »

Well that ruins my dungeon tower idea, cause I know pets die when a fort is lost, so no hope of creatures inhabiting this place unless I unleash a huge wave of prisoners which wipe out the fort. thanks for telling me though
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:46 pm »

Cage the wild creatures, even FB's, and hook their cages to levers so you can release them at will. There you go. Just don't tame the captive creatures and you'll be fine.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:42:47 pm »

Make sure you test that first. I don't think it will work.

Also, using dfhack advfort you *can* build stuff, and use workshops in adventure mode, it will even recpect the same rules for resources, fuel etc.

blazing glory

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 11:36:36 pm »

I have dfhack,how do I use advfort?

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 01:02:14 am »

I have come back to a fort after just abandoning in good condition, all the dwarfs were scattered about and i could talk to them and the items were not scattered, i could go to the stockpile i wanted.

I have come back after the fort died after collapsing. I did that 3 times and each time it still had ghosts after being finished. I didnt even get to see the  inside because each time a ghost rose and one shotted me in the head. My guy had really good fighting stats and gear but i couldnt even dodge the ghost.

Dont come back to a defeated fort if you have ghosts left over.

blazing glory

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:03:03 am »

I have come back to a fort after just abandoning in good condition, all the dwarfs were scattered about and i could talk to them and the items were not scattered, i could go to the stockpile i wanted.

I have come back after the fort died after collapsing. I did that 3 times and each time it still had ghosts after being finished. I didnt even get to see the  inside because each time a ghost rose and one shotted me in the head. My guy had really good fighting stats and gear but i couldnt even dodge the ghost.

Dont come back to a defeated fort if you have ghosts left over.

Of course you can't dodge a ghost,it puts it's form into you and starts having corpreal party in your head

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 06:17:04 am »

Yeah its pretty horrifying you'd think you could at least maybe dodge if not block but i guess the ghosts themselves have incredible speed. Its like wondering into new londo.

Anyway just a heads up so no one suicides their adventurer