Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Short Little Puzzle!  (Read 1130 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Short Little Puzzle!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 12:33:15 pm »

The answer was arbitrary so that a pattern in the answer couldn't be used to determine the decoding process. For example, in a letter-substitution cypher you can look for patterns in the message and compare them with common words, especially short words. Plus I wanted a very short answer so it would take less manual labor to type out.

As for LB's complaints, yes, it's true that there are a bunch of different ways it could have been encoded in binary. I don't think there's an expectation that a person will look at a code and think of the way to decode it, and then perform that operation, and not have to try anything else. That's what I would expect from the most basic letter-subtitution.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 01:08:26 pm »

In summary, the title "Short Little Puzzle" is very, very, very, ve~ery misleading.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 02:05:57 pm »

If I called it a terrible puzzle that takes too long and nobody will get without four hints, who would click on it? -_-
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 02:24:32 pm »

At Bay12, several people.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 [2]