Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Great Norse Community: A Norse Fortress Mod Community Fort (All are welcome)  (Read 10515 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

i want Thanatos the swordsman and butcher. hates cats loves dogs has a obsession with history and wants to discover how to defeat jotun by learning their weak points . also wants to discover how they use fire. wears all dark clothing including hood and cloak. is always in a combat mindset. very calm usually but he he lets out pent up emotions in combat. has no fear of death but is very talkative and optimistic.
And with that, I'll begin with the write ups and the first month of work.

I'm not sure if I made this clear or not, but I realised an easier way of explaining it:
You are that job you picked for life, but anything in that area (aka anything that keeps you your color) you can do. Lumberjack can do crossbowmaking and carpentry, as will the mason be able to engrave, and as well as the armorsmith be able to do blacksmithing.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Prologue: Arrival
Highmax coughed into his sleeve as he kept the wagon close in tow. They were lucky Lumberjack was handy as a carpenter and a ship builder, or else they would never be able to carry all their gear. Thanatos kept a hand on his blade and his dogs close. It took very little convincing to bring them along after DwArfY tried to smuggle cats on board and the dogs hopped on last moment. They all had their weapons ready for whatever dangers aroused, but was it enough? They brought other gear necessary for survival; picks for ore, bags, cloth, and of course, food to last them a few months. But they were warriors, not farmers or fishermen. Would they have what it takes to survive until the winter? Spring was here now, but how long would it take for them to starve and freeze? They all stopped at the foot of the mountain, and Highmax surveyed the area.

"Lumberjack, I want you to start cutting those trees down. DwArfY, I want you to scout the area, I want to know everything there is to know here. Thanatos, Baffler, Wolf, you're with me unloading this stuff. And Krigar, I want to know if we can get some fish out of that broo-"

A loud roar was heard not far from where they stood, interrupting Highmax's orders. Quickly, everyone grabbed for their weapons.

Thanatos gave a sly grin as he drew his blade. Wolf scurried to grab his weapon off of the cart. "What do you think it is? Jotun?"

Krigar shook his head as he readied his axe. "No... Whatever that is, it is nowhere NEAR as strong or as big as a Jotun... Whatever it is, it sounds angry."

Highmax grabbed his blade. "Whatever it is, we have to deal with it now or it will destroy us"

DwArfY scrambled to grab her bow. Not long after they headed south to face this threat...

As the warriors headed south, Baffled fumbled with her neck piece; a hammer, which symbolized the goddess of Storms and Thunder, Nadmi. It was a nervous habit that she did before a battle occurred. Highmax, named Hauld and Berserker champion for this moment, saw this and hoped they wouldn't need the gods aid on their side for this battle.

They all went forward into the lair, and then they saw the enemy; a blind cave ogre. Baffler let out a war cry and slashed with her blade, cutting deep into the leg of the Ogre. Then lumberjack came in with her dane axe and hacked at the lower body of the creature. Within seconds, they were all in there, blood boiling, and all of the seven norsemen raging. The warrior's heart was still in them, strong as iron and as sharp as a seax. Within minutes, Krigar knocked the Ogre over, and with one quick strike, split open the monster's skull down the middle. The warriors stoood silently for a moment before they exited, Baffler wiping a little bit of blood off of her neck piece. Highmax saw this and decided that they should pay homage to the storm god, calling this place the Home of Thunder. They all marched back upthe cliff, Highmax giving out orders again, this time having DwArfY give a thorough search of the area. They needed to have a longhouse built soon, or else they would all suffer a worse fate then their friends and family left to die at the hands of the Jotun...

(Well, the Ogre was unexpected, but did keep me on my toes. Never had that before...)

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile

My war cry is "for the socks". Also what professions go with red

Journal entry one

Killed our first enemy today blind cave ogre. One thing I don't understand is it is on the suface while it has CAVE in its name. Also how did see us it is BLIND. Oh well ill butcher it anyway but first I must butcher those cats if I can. I'll kill them ill kill them ALL. Now where did I put that whiskey....

We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My war cry is "for the socks". Also what professions go with red

Journal entry one

Killed our first enemy today blind cave ogre. One thing I don't understand is it is on the suface while it has CAVE in its name. Also how did see us it is BLIND. Oh well ill butcher it anyway but first I must butcher those cats if I can. I'll kill them ill kill them ALL. Now where did I put that whiskey....
(Mechanics are usually red. Children are a shade of it, and macemen/mace lords are always red)

The first couple months went slowly. For some reason, lumberjack refused to cut trees, leaving Krigar to cut down trees for us. (I don't know if this is a DF bug or something, but the WOOD CUTTER wouldn't cut trees... And there's a free dane axe lying there!) Since I had nothing better to do, I decided to try my hand at digging nearby. I only excevated a little bit, but I found magnetite and tetrahedryte! I then managed to get myself stuck trying to work the ramps. That'll teach me to do THAT again... We now have some basic farms planted, some wood chopped up, and some furnaces burning down our newly found ore. I don't know what we're going to use with the ores we found yet, but I think Wolf may have some ideas. Krigar is mostly fishing us up food, which hopefully means we'll have some good food in the coming days.

Now that we got some basic necessities, we should be able to prepare ourselves for the coming days. Only question; what do we do now?

(Alright everyone, if you got actions to do, start doing them!

Grim, I didn't get the chance to ask, but is the sawmill not present in Norse Fortress? And are the dane axes slightly bugged where they won't pick them up, or is that a problem with DF in general?)

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile

I thanatos shall begin making plans for world extinction of cats. Also i shall butcher the ogre.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grim, I didn't get the chance to ask, but is the sawmill not present in Norse Fortress? And are the dane axes slightly bugged where they won't pick them up, or is that a problem with DF in general?

Apparently I haven't put the sawmill into the mod. If you need to you should be able to replace the Screw Press with it in the RAWs just fine. I'll need to remember to put it in the mod, can't build a longhouse without wood after all. I can dig out the RAWs for copy/pasting if you like.

As for the axes, I did some mucking around with their size and size requirement, upped it's minimum size and it's size to make it two handed (they are meant to be shoulder high at the head) and be a good weapon for severing. Might be that some Norsemen are now too small to use them due to variable sizes. Once again the RAWs should be easily changed without needing to regen. Check Lumberjack's description, if he's described as short then it might just be him being under size 60000.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:56:01 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

dshannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This intriques me greatly, I would love greatly for a viking'ing.
My most humble request is to be named D'sha Nnon on any migrant with good bonecarving/leatherworking skill

The tricky idea is, that if you do ever branch me into a militia I have to only wear armour (preferrably bone) from creatures "I" kill.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This intriques me greatly, I would love greatly for a viking'ing.
My most humble request is to be named D'sha Nnon on any migrant with good bonecarving/leatherworking skill

The tricky idea is, that if you do ever branch me into a militia I have to only wear armour (preferrably bone) from creatures "I" kill.
Why does this remind me of space marines?

And grim, if you can get me the copy-paste files, we should be golden (I'm no good at modding, so you'll have to tell me where to force-feed the file to)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And grim, if you can get me the copy-paste files, we should be golden (I'm no good at modding, so you'll have to tell me where to force-feed the file to)

Right, this should be copy/pasted over the screw press in building_custom

Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:SCREW_PRESS]
[NAME:Sawmill]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[BUILD_LABOR:CARPENTER]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_C]
[WORK_LOCATION:3:3]
[DIM:3:3]
[TILE:0:1:32:32:32]
[TILE:0:2:32:32:47]
[TILE:0:3:15:32:32]
[COLOR:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1]
[COLOR:0:3:7:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:32:32:32]
[TILE:1:2:32:179:32]
[TILE:1:3:32:15:32]
[COLOR:1:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:1:2:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0]
[COLOR:1:3:0:0:0:7:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:32:196:32]
[TILE:2:2:32:183:32]
[TILE:2:3:32:15:32]
[COLOR:2:1:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0]
[COLOR:2:2:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0]
[COLOR:2:3:0:0:0:7:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:3:1:22:210:32]
[TILE:3:2:32:186:32]
[TILE:3:3:254:15:254]
[COLOR:3:1:6:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0]
[COLOR:3:2:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0]
[COLOR:3:3:6:0:0:7:0:0:6:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]

Since the Norse can already make screw presses you shouldn't need to change anything else for this particular bit. Changing the building itself should be fine as long as you don't have any screw presses built. Backup the save though just in case.

The reaction for making planks needs to go in reaction_other and would be easiest to paste over knapping

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_SHARP_ROCK]
[NAME:cut wood into planks]
[BUILDING:SAWMILL:CUSTOM_C]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:PLANT_MAT:NONE:WOOD]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:WOODCUTTING]

You'll also need to add [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_SHARP_ROCK] to the Norse entity file.

And for the axe just open the norse weapon file and scale down the minimum size to 50000 or so and it should let even the shortest of norsemen use it.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems to be running smoothly... Crap, we don't have a mechanic... Well, time for the noble to stop digging for now and take up the skills no one took...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems to be running smoothly... Crap, we don't have a mechanic... Well, time for the noble to stop digging for now and take up the skills no one took...

Mechanic? What do you need a mechanic for?
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mechanic? What do you need a mechanic for?
Screw press required 2 mechanisms apparently, but that may be the full on screw press...

I'll double check what I did

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just realized I left an error in the planks reaction.

[BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:CUSTOM_C] is what it should be for the quick fix rather than building sawmill.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:CUSTOM_C] is what it should be for the quick fix rather than building sawmill.
I'm a little confused. Do I build the screw press to access the sawmill or...?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a little confused. Do I build the screw press to access the sawmill or...?

No, if the RAW overwrite works as it should the sawmill should be able to be built instead of the screw press. It is in effect sacrificing the screw press from the entire world in exchange for the sawmill. It might not work which is why I recommended backing up the save.

EDIT: As the sawmill will be using the screw press ID it will still allow screw press reactions at it, which may be a bit weird.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:07:53 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6