Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-reanimating interesting embark?  (Read 3056 times)

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non-reanimating interesting embark?
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:02:57 am »

Im done with zombie hair and that idiotic crap, but normal embarks are just boring me to hell.

Is there an evil embark that doesnt zombify every turd you drop but still is somewhat challenging?
At the moment i see either mind-numbingly lame or "fucked-by-mechanics"-unfun.
Looking for a solid middle ground...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-reanimating interesting embark?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:20:21 am »

Check out this one, Berossus.

No re-animation, but definitely fun and challenging.  :o

ulspa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:38:45 am »

I haven't done any deeper research but I think on freezing embarks, the goblins wear metal breastplate and metal helms. otherwise it will be the same.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:24 pm »

Im done with zombie hair and that idiotic crap, but normal embarks are just boring me to hell.

Is there an evil embark that doesnt zombify every turd you drop but still is somewhat challenging?
At the moment i see either mind-numbingly lame or "fucked-by-mechanics"-unfun.
Looking for a solid middle ground...

I tend to stay away from evil embarks. They're good for the occasional challenge, but for sustained play i find them too annoying to deal with.

Evilness can be fiddled around in worldgen, but i don't know if it's possible to make e.g. raising of the dead less frequent specifically without defanging all evil areas completely: a region with high "desired evil squares" counts but all specific evilness options set to zero (regional interactions, disturbances (? i've no idea what this actually does, might be totally unrelated?), evil rains, evil clouds) produced a world mostly covered in evil biomes, but a quick check suggested i was getting completely ordinary wilderness with no effects.

You can pick challenging embark locations without resorting to evil embarks - extremely cold, extremely hot, little usable water, massive aquifers, nearby towers, start close to a goblin civ you're already at WAR with or get "lucky" and find a dwarf civ that starts out at war with the elves...

Deadly evil embark locations are only a serious gameplay challenge for the first month of a fortress - either you get yourself dug in, or you don't. After that i find it turns into drudgery, staying alive, snatching the occasional item or migrant from the surface when the coast's clear, but when you have husking clouds or similar nonsense to deal with, you practically play fully turtled forever, which i find supremely boring.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:36:41 pm »

Evilness can be fiddled around in worldgen, but i don't know if it's possible to make e.g. raising of the dead less frequent specifically without defanging all evil areas completely: a region with high "desired evil squares" counts but all specific evilness options set to zero (regional interactions, disturbances (? i've no idea what this actually does, might be totally unrelated?), evil rains, evil clouds) produced a world mostly covered in evil biomes, but a quick check suggested i was getting completely ordinary wilderness with no effects.

I think reanimating biome is in regional interactions, seeing as clouds/dusk/fog would be disturbances. and weather is pretty obvious. I like husking clouds when I'm doing an isolation fort as it's something to chase migrants around and a challenge to get stuff in as normally you would be turtling.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:33:45 am »

That sounds interesting, but ive never screwed around in any files before.

So i just copy/paste that code into a txt file, rename it world_gen.txt and replace it with the one in my init folder?
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:10 am »

That sounds interesting, but ive never screwed around in any files before.

So i just copy/paste that code into a txt file, rename it world_gen.txt and replace it with the one in my init folder?
Typically, it's easier just to edit the existing world_gen.txt and add it to the end of the file.  But strictly speaking, either method will work.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 10:57:55 pm »

or you could edit the parameters during advanced world gen...
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:04:32 pm »

I found one with no less than 6 werecreatures, 4 vampires and a yeti.

Might try and put the world up, but my computer doesn't have an internet connection.
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:17:46 pm »

For sustained play, I'd recommend killing any and everything that comes to your fort. Bonus if you kill the dwarven caravan too and become a rebel fort.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 05:34:40 am »

I tried the above map and its nice.
I managed of course to get a "no neighbours" tile, except for the caravan that turned zombie and killed each other on my central staircase until all that remained was a macelord and a swordmaster.
Swordmaster chance-killed the mace is now my gateguards against anything, because he is legendary as fuck.

Anybody can tell me what exactly i would have to mess around in world gen to achieve:
.) Non-reanimating yet evil biome.
.) Shallow world (35 Z-levels are enough for me, i dont need 180+)
.) Lots (and i mean flipping LOTS) of titans, megabeast and stuff

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 10:23:30 am »

You'll note there is an embark location shown in that post, and within it, the ground does not re-animate the dead.

If you just want evil without EVIL (that is, nothing bad) that's easy, but is that really what you want? or just evil without re-animation?

Any other requirements, besides lots of titans, semi-megabeasts, megabeasts?  How about goblins? temperature, surface water, steel-friendly, etc?

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 11:28:05 am »

I saw that there was an embark down there, but id like to create some worlds of my own, with the specs i "listed" above (short list, but a list none the less).
Zombie-cloud is ok, but eternally reanimating is just tedious.

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »

Lairs and necro towers can be good Fun. To make these more common, make a tiny world (17x17) and turn up vampire & were curse types, for necros turn up "Secret" types.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:28:55 pm by RailroadRider »
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.