Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bay12 Census: Results out  (Read 2160 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Bay12 Census: Results out
« on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:33 am »

Results!

Hello, denizens of the DF General Discussion board! I am running a general census on the members of Bay12, and I thought that posting the census only in the lower boards would skew the results significantly. Therefore, here I present the link so that you may complete the survey if you wish.

Once I get a statistically significant number of surveys (=whenever I feel like I have enough ;P), I'll post the results in this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:57:31 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Census
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:19 pm »

Maybe change "What do you think your gender is?" to "What gender do you identify as?"
I know it seems a little nitpicky, but it does make a difference how the question is worded.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:55 pm »

I put "What gender do you identify as?" as the helper text. It's the wording I was going for but couldn't think up :(
I can't change the question itself without losing some data, sadly.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:37:08 am »

On the Education level you should include trade journeymen/apprentices and career college diploma. Both are relevant education levels.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:46:43 am »

You should split the boards you frequent options more.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 04:29:04 am »

I kinda wish I posted a topic about this before I opened the survey ; ( All your ideas are valid, but I can't change them without making things very messy.

Currently sitting at 134 responses. 10% error rate with a 95% confidence has been achieved. I'm aiming for 5%, but may not get enough samples. I'm pondering if posting about the survey in Other Games or FGRP would be worth it and also not count as spamming...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 06:55:05 am »

Iirc there were already some surveys of this type done. You could pull those for comparsion and create timelines etc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:25:17 pm »

"How fast is your internet connection? (In Mbps, ie the speed returned by Speedtest.net. Average the up and down speeds.)"
Just so you know, doing this makes that particular information mostly inaccurate and worthless since, on most internet connections in the USA, the download speed is faster than the upload speed by at least an order of magnitude. For example, I have 16Mbps downstream but only 1Mbps upstream, which would become a meaningless 8.5Mbps for your records.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 02:53:53 pm »

"How fast is your internet connection? (In Mbps, ie the speed returned by Speedtest.net. Average the up and down speeds.)"
Just so you know, doing this makes that particular information mostly inaccurate and worthless since, on most internet connections in the USA, the download speed is faster than the upload speed by at least an order of magnitude. For example, I have 16Mbps downstream but only 1Mbps upstream, which would become a meaningless 8.5Mbps for your records.

Oh... I completely missed that last sentence, I just input the down speed :<   
(which I assumed is the only number that counts usually)

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »

I can't believe people are actually filling this out...

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 08:18:22 pm »

Yeah, I got around 6mbps when I averaged. My download speed is much faster than that!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »

Funny--I have 60 down and 90 up >_> Course I'm not in the US.

While the average speed is probably not exactly the best indicator of internets speed, I think download only either isn't. It's hard to think of a formula to combine the two factors while giving the due respect to each.

I can't believe people are actually filling this out...
Care to explain? XD

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:54 pm »

Two things:

1) You can probably create a drop-down list of countries.

2) You can create a check list for "mental disorders". This is very catch-all.

As Quietust pointed out, usually downstream and upstream download rates are very different and can vary depending on the time of use, i.e. because of facebook, youtube, and online gaming hours. Usually the downstream rates are the ones people refer to, unless they happen to be running a server or have a job (voluntary or otherwise) or are carrying out research that involves processing and distributing large amounts of data.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:34:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 11:19:35 am »

To address the point raised by Quietust, I ran the test at speedtest.net a number of times and found a similar relationship. My average up was slightly less than 10% of my average down (8.87%). I'm in the Netherlands, and noticed a similar relationship when I was in the UK, and, well, I think it's quite common.
I got the average observed down of 28.55 and average observed up of 2.53

Assuming this relationship of the up rate being 10% of the down rate we can say that the mean of the two values (up and down) is
(down + up)/2 = (down + 0.1*down)/2 = Down*1.1/2.
Or, calling the average asked for in the survey the Survey Value: Down Speed = Survey Value*2/1.1

So let's take one of my mean values (15.54) and apply this relationship to it:
Inferred Down = 15.54*2/1.1 = 28.25
Inferred Up = 2.83
(True values, Down = 28.53, Up = 2.55)

So, you know, it's not dreadful. And small changes (up = 0.08*down instead of 0.1*down) don't actually change the inferred down that much.

Hardly the best empirics, or theoretical mathematics, but might be useful for Skyrunner for finding a rough 'rule of thumb' number for Down (and for Up, albeit less reliable [due to decimal points]).

For a combined value, just a throwaway idea, how about Score = (Down - Average Down) + a(Up - Average Up). The Average up and Down here are the average for, say, your municipal district, or the average for the web forum you're comparing against, etc., basically the average values of your peer group whatever you choose it should be. The coefficient a is to account for the order of magnitude difference between Average Up and Average Down, say, if Average Up = 2.5 and Average Down = 25, then a = 2.5/25 = 10, in order to put both terms in the same order of magnitude.

So someone with comparatively a slow down, but a fast up speed might have a score of (10 - 25) + 10(5 - 2.5) = 10, which is a pretty meaningless number until we compare it against the scores of others.

We could also maybe use fractions! (10/25 + 5/2.5)/2 = 1.2 > 1. This number means more as a standalone value. 1 is on par, anything above 1 is good, anything below 1 is bad. This doesn't account for people's preferences though (I value Down far more than Up, for example).

Hm... I think I'm gonna make a thread in general discussion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:35:44 am by Kumis »
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 05:38:49 pm »

Funny--I have 60 down and 90 up >_> Course I'm not in the US.
You probably live in a country with decent cable companies.
Pages: [1] 2