Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39

Author Topic: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Conical Difficulties  (Read 71235 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: The Music of the Spheres
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 10:33:54 am »

Bill Kerman approves of the Councilors' suggestion for technological development. He isn't so approving of the hovercraft idea, but he didn't like the rockets either.

The pamphlets are a big hit with the engineers. The scientists say they overstate our capabilities and warn that these new technologies might explode. Fear-mongerers.

We create the HoverTron 1000, a useful little machine capable of hovering and then detaching a command pod capable of flying around a little more before landing.

Rumors that the engineers mistook the Sepratrons for Mystery GooTM Containment Unit Minis are under investigation.

The flight does not go according to plan.

What, lifting off into space, then exploding when we tried to eject? Nah, perfectly fine.

Let's revert to before I set the throttle too high. Even one-third has us taking off rather than hovering. Two little ticks has us on the ground, three has us taking off slowly. At least ejection is working well at these speeds.

It wasn't a complete waste; at least we got 0.02 science.

Well. That was a complete bust...and a crappy update, so I'll give another later today when I have time. Bye for now.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Fail
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 12:22:40 pm »

Alright. No one responded in the last...hour or so. I suppose I'm not too surprised. Consider this a two-parter, I guess.

We design a new hovercraft, the HoverMax 2000!

The HoverMax 2000, with an engineer fleeing in terror, presumably in an attempt to escape the explosion unleashed from one of the solid fuel booster several seconds later.

The HM2k was launched, with no explosions even! It's not really hovering, per se, but eh.

The HoverMax 2000, in flight and not exploding

We spoke too soon

He's alive!

Trapped, though.

Not for long!

Whoo!

We now have three flights in progress.

Bob escapes the pod, although there is another explosion as what seems to be the parachute casing is rolled over. Science is done.

That reminds me, we need to clean the crashing pod.

Bob, contemplating his inability to open the Mystery Goo Containment Unit.

I wonder what the scientists can gather from the inexplicable explosion of the MGCU.

Nope.

The engineers realize they named the first one the HoverTron and the second the HoverMax. They begin debating about which the third should be called, with smaller factions arguing for HoverTrax and HoverMon. Regardless, the HoverMax 2000 is fired up.

That's more like a hovering max! Or tron!

That...is not.

Alright, maybe we should stick to rockets for now. Jebediah supports this notion, but we do it anyways. We begin to investigate a most wondrous area...the runway.

Did we really need a rocket to get there?

We need to work on aim...

Eventually, we science the runway.

Good point.

Note to self: Always get EVA reports before letting go. (I had to toss that one out. Eh.)

Unusual.

Neat.

We now have enough science to learn something else! Suggestions, anyone?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:11 pm »

Science. Batteries and more science are good things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 12:44:49 pm »

Science. Batteries and more science are good things.
Agreeificated.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 12:45:57 pm »

You have some options here. You could lob rockets or make planes for kerbin science. Do you own a joystick? Perhaps some plane making? Aim for the abandoned runway and get 1-3 types of biomes there. OR go for a stable orbit.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2014, 01:18:17 pm »

More science, then science ALL the things.
Let's see, within close proximity of KSC alone, there's KSC, runway, launchpad, grasslands, shores, highlands (the hills of the mountains), water, and mountains. And I think a random spot of tundra for some reason.

Aside from the first three, you can get aerial science on all of those.

Strap a science thing on top of a rocket, aim in the general  direction you want to go, and then parachute land. Free science.

THEN I recommend filling out some old stuff and going into speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:20:29 pm by Twi »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2014, 01:43:07 pm »

Given GWGs designs, I recommend getting struts posthaste, as he seems to like strapping things together that should not be strapped together.

Thus the explosions.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2014, 03:07:50 pm »

Given GWGs designs, I recommend getting struts posthaste, as he seems to like strapping things together that should not be strapped together.

Thus the explosions.
Seconded.  Space Duct Tape solves all woes.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 03:14:12 pm »

After we get science please.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 03:45:32 pm »

Do you own a joystick? Perhaps some plane making?
No joystick, no wings.

Thus the explosions.
The explosions have mostly been happening in three situations:
1. Separating stages crashing into each other (not something struts are going to help).
2. Crashing (if struts help these tell me).
3. No goddamn reason at all ("Walking away from mystery goo: IT EXPLODES").
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 04:22:21 pm »

No joystick, no wings.

Research wings. That's what I was going for. It's not easy flying a plane in atmosphere with a keyboard.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »

No joystick, no wings.

Thus the explosions.
The explosions have mostly been happening in three situations:
1. Separating stages crashing into each other (not something struts are going to help).
2. Crashing (if struts help these tell me).
3. No goddamn reason at all ("Walking away from mystery goo: IT EXPLODES").

No the explosions are happening because your designs are....er, not grate.
That last ship, you just kinda made a pyramid with fuel tanks, and that is a no-no. I find the best designs are simple "sticks" with a ring of boosters around the top and bottom. That's a good base design, it will space you, its balanced, and shit tends to not explode.
Oh, and note that the bottom boosters should be fired first, then dropped with radial decouplers, then the top ones, then you activate your liquid stuff.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2014, 11:44:09 pm »

With inline decouplers you can put boosters right on the ends of liquid rockets. It's easy early space flight. If it's small enough and the top stage is not wobbly you don't need space tape.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:32 am »

That last ship, you just kinda made a pyramid with fuel tanks, and that is a no-no. I find the best designs are simple "sticks" with a ring of boosters around the top and bottom. That's a good base design, it will space you, its balanced, and shit tends to not explode.
That would be because...it wasn't a spaceship. It was a hovercraft.
Kinda.
Sig

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2014, 11:50:36 am »

I like it, especially the parts where it exploded, and not-jeb survived.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39