Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39

Author Topic: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Conical Difficulties  (Read 71195 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Halfway to Everywhere
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2014, 05:34:40 pm »

Well, heres hopeing that we get all together.

Can we research electricity yet?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2014, 06:01:34 pm »

It seems researching the ability to strap on some AAs would be valuable. Some solar panels would be nice.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »

Can we research electricity yet?
Probably.

It seems researching the ability to strap on some AAs would be valuable. Some solar panels would be nice.
AA batteries?

Do I just wait a while and hope we drift closer than 840 kilometers a few dozen orbits from now?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2014, 08:04:42 pm »

The smallest batteries look like a pair of AA batteries with an LED.

They are probably c or d cells (or equivalent) though.
Nowait, dont they say that they ARE AAs?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »

The smallest batteries look like a pair of AA batteries with an LED.

They are probably c or d cells (or equivalent) though.
Nowait, dont they say that they ARE AAs?
Actually, they're AAAAs.

So are we consensus'd on researching electricity? I'm not sure if anyone has directly voted for it yet, but the comments strongly imply it.

Do I just wait a while and hope we drift closer than 840 kilometers a few dozen orbits from now?
Yes. How much larger is Archie's orbit than Jeb's? Because if it's they're a kilometer apart, then you'll have to wait a LLLLLOONNNNGGGG time. My friend did that the first time he ever orbitally rendezvoused, and it literally took like 4 hours to catch up, even with time warp.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:28 pm »

I'd have to check, but yeah they're pretty close.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2014, 11:32:59 pm »

Make sure they're not overlapping and crossing when viewed from above. The vehicles may never come together. You want to be completely inside or outside your target's orbit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2014, 12:06:10 am »

That's a serious problem?
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2014, 01:13:19 am »

You want to be going faster or slower than your target, not both. Someone has to catch up with the other until you get a good alignment to push your orbits together so you meet at the same place in space with a minimum of velocity relative to each other. Then you burn to make your orbits completely overlap. Maneuver nodes will help throughout.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2014, 11:41:02 pm »

We have nearly the same orbit as Jeb. This is, shall we say, suboptimal for a rendezvous.
To brush up, I rewatch Scott Manley's tutorial on rendezvous and docking (regretting that I hadn't done so before the launch). I then make a maneuver node to shift the 6+b to a slightly lower orbit and wait...before realizing that my new orbit would be completely in atmosphere. Dammit. So, I make another maneuver node at apoapsis to fix this, before trying to lower my apoapsis again.

I decide that today is not a good day for my attention span, for whatever reason. I blame this morning's xkcd binge. Also, are KSP seconds longer or do I just have a slow computer?

Now, then, let's look at that orbit map.

They say the worst part of war is the waiting. If KSP is anything like war...

...I will be amazed if whoever is making the comparison isn't describing wait times.

Two simultaneous intersects, neat. Makes it tough to say for sure if I'm actually approaching. On the bright side, their locations makes it likely that the intercept will be in sunlight, which is both prettier and easier.
755.7* km, 673.3 km, 587.4...what does it say that I've been wanting to make a mathematical function to approximate encounter distance as a function of orbit number? 498.5, which is about when I note that Jeb and his old rocket are starting to drift apart noticeably from mapview. From the right angle, of course. 407.1 km, 313.5, 218.1 (that's almost 100 kilometers in one orbit! We're getting close...), 121.6, 24.5 (yes, next one should be it! Unless we overshoot!)...

Twice the depth of the ocean, half the length of a marathon[1, and for space that's practically in high-five distance. Douglas Adams wasn't kidding...

...73.2 kilometers? Alright, time to drop into maneuvering mode. Let's get Jeb.

*For some reason these sometimes dropped during the orbit. I took the one right after they changed.
Keep in mind that these orbits were about 30 in-game minutes each. Even with 50x warp (usually true) and no distractions or text-writing breaks (HAH!), that's more than half a minute per orbit. And yet, somehow, this is less...off-putting than waiting for maneuver nodes. I guess that being able to watch my progress like that helps? Hell if I know, my brain is weird.

I could set up a maneuver node to bring the two closer, but...well, as I noted elsewhere, more than half the LP up to this point has been trying to get Jeb back. I've spent an hour on this step. My attention span is not maneuver-node-compatible at this point. Let's do this thing.

Damn. Sunset. We may be working in the dark. I hate when that happens. HEY JEB! COULD YOU TRY AND LIGHT YOURSELF UP SOMEHOW? ...Thank Kod fire doesn't work in space. Where the hell did he get kerosene?

Next, I need to kill my relative momentum to Jeb, by burning retrograde until this:

This is a lot faster than Scott's rendezvous. I suspect it may be slightly more difficult.

reaches ~0 m/s.

Fact of KSP: Those markers are hard to find. My condolences to real astronauts, who don't even have brightly-colored icons marking which way to point the rocket. (Unless you count "the sky" at the start of launch.)
Anyways, I burn, keeping up with the retrograde marker with difficulty. I really hope that's something I was supposed to be doing, because it complicated and extended the kill-relative-velocity step.
Eventually, I get it "close enough"...

AAAH WHY ARE YOU GOING UP HOW DID SCOTT MAKE IT LOOK SO EASY?!

...I spin around, during which time the relative velocity shoots up to over 6 m/s, spin the target to face Jeb, and hope I haven't screwed things up yet. Let's see, Jeb's ~24,100 meters away, so if I float towards him at about 28 m/s, which is about where the burn was when I started worrying about that, it should take about a thousand seconds, or plenty of minutes, before I get close, so I can check the orbit. Sadly, it doesn't have a close intersection right by us, so I'll have to eyeball it by when the distance starts increasing...or I could accelerate and wait till I get a couple klicks out.

"Archibald, you're hurtling a kilometer above the life-giving air of Kerbin, hurtling towards a stranded kerbonaut as fast as a time machine[2], in a tin can full of explosive hydrocarbons. How do you feel?"

"Damn nea' ready fo' tea toim, guv'na!"

I do notice something disturbing, though...

Just what I need. Air resistance.

As I try to fix this, the spacecraft becomes unresponsive. It takes but a moment to determine why.

"Not to be a spoilspoht, guv'na, but didn't this happen last bloody toim?!?"
Yes. Yes it did. We are researching fucking electricity.
"Director, this is Ground Control. That sounds dangerous."
Not literally, Ground Control.

It's a night that may never see day.

Fuck this space-sicle stand. Let's see what old Jeb can do. Maybe...jet along towards that little ship trying to save me?

It's closer than the ship I left, for the first time in...forever, I think.

It's nineteen klicks away. The fancy database in my suit cheerfully informs me that that's a bit over five times the average depth of the ocean[3]. Why they put that in here but not any kind of navigation system, or even a safety harness, is beyond me.
Eighteen point eight. Another hundred meters shaved off. They're worrying about being in atmo, so they must be something like 69k in altitude, while I'm a bit under 84k. Most of our separation is in altitude. That's good, right?
Point eight. Will I see the comforting inside of a tin can again, soon? Last I heard, they were coming for me at forty meters per second, so that's what, nine or ten minutes off? Something like that? Oh look, my suit's telling me the answer is seven point eight three minutes, about as long as it takes light to go between a planet and a star I've never heard of[4,5]. My altitude is rising.
Point seven. Seven hundred meters, eighteen kilometers. That's how close the nearest kerbal is.
Point six. The kerosene is itchy.
Point five. I'm accelerating towards the ship some. Down, not that I've know it if it wasn't for the big circle where I can't even see stars.
Point four. I can see the beacon Archie set up drifting slowly across the invisible globe.
Point three. How close will it get?

You know, "Staring at a nearly-black computer screen, watching a yellow number slowly decrease" sounds a lot like what hippies might do right after their marijuana stash gets set on fire.

Point two. Could I get rescued? Eighteen kilometers and change is a long ways away still.
Point one. Could this really be the day, the spacecraft? I've still got 93% propellant, I'm going for it. 92 now.

Maybe I should stop trying to take screenshots of things I feel are time-sensitive.

Eighteen kilometers. How fast are we going now, relatively? I've burned towards them, but they've been falling, and more importantly slowing from air.
Seventeen point nine. What if I shoot for them, almost hit, but miss? Could I hit the atmosphere, burn up? Checking the orbit thing...no, my periapsis is still almost 78 kilometers. Wait, why does my spacesuit have an orbital-calculating thing? Burning more. 88% now.
Eighteen kilometers again. Salvation is falling. Should I try to accelerate towards it? No...not really a point, is there?

I'm going to be stuck here forever.

Normally, when I'm not rushing on a screenshot, I try to make them nice round numbers of pixels. This one randomly came out to be a perfect square, though, so I just couldn't resize it.

We're falling again. Apoapsis over 120 kilometers still. Not wanting to get trapped in a waiting-to-deorbit orbit, I burn when we're pointed slightly down. I stop when I notice that it's increasing our apoapsis; damn.

No way I'm waiting for that tonight, though. It's too late. Sorry for the fairly short and very fail-ridden update.
Sig

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: THIS close to leaving Jeb out there
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2014, 04:28:11 am »

Yeah, we need to research electricity. A few solar panels would sort things out.

MAybe look into mechjeb, at least for the start?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:26 am »

I'm a bit adverse to mods and such. They feel a bit like cheating, you know?
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2014, 09:55:19 am »

I'm a bit adverse to mods and such. They feel a bit like cheating, you know?
With KSP mods, the challenge is in figuring out JUST HOW THE HELL DO THESE CHEATY PARTS WORK?

Seriously, look at say Extraplanetary Launchpads. I had that mod for months and COULDN'T EVEN FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT THE THING ON A SHIP, OR HOW THE OTHER THINGS WERE SUPPOSED TO ATTACH TO THE MAIN THING.

Seriously, any "cheaty" mods for this game are so obtuse that if you ever DO end up with nigh-infinite fuel or able to launch rockets from Minmus, then you will have earned it.

For example, I'm currently using a mod that ostensibly lets you grow plants in space, and convert said plants into fuel with a reactor thing. I am currently in the process of figuring out JUST HOW THE FUNK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT? I'm not sure if I just need the "biomass" or if I also need the CO2 and Oxygen parts to supplement or what the fuck half the parts are even FOR.

I'm also using Mission Controller, which makes the game HARDER. Well, it does if you care about the budget numbers it gives you, which currently don't seem to actually affect whether you can build things or not.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2014, 09:56:50 am »

Doesn't career mode already have a budget? How does that work? Is it per launch or what? Last time I played KSP was the udate before career mode, so I dunno.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2014, 11:50:48 am »

No budget yet in vanilla KSP.

Certainly don't go straight for mods until you know the basics, but Mechjeb can show you in real time what it's doing. Everyone has their own way of doing certain things. With rendezvous you can go for a bigger or smaller orbit. If you're just changing your orbit by 20-50 km you won't see much difference in fuel spent either way but you might see the atmosphere.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39