Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Conqest of Island (experimental forum RTS) main players found  (Read 9750 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Conqest of Island (experimental forum RTS) main players found
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:47:54 am »

News has reached the capitals of the old world that a new habitable island was recently found, which is positively brimming with resources. You have been chosen to lead a small colonial force that is to take the island and settle on it. An agreement has been signed, that authorizes you to use deadly force for the glory of your Metropolis, without risking a war in the home countries.

Conquest of Island is an experimental real time strategy for the forum. The basic concept behind this is the action point (AP).
Spoiler: Action Points (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: terrain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: buildings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ending the game (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Main Roster:
  • 1.scapheap
  • 2.GWG
  • 3.Remuthra
  • 4.kj1225
Replacements and splitting candidates:
  • mastahcheese
  • notquitethere

Note: I seem to have spent quite a bit more time figuring this out then I intended, so it's now very late (or I should probably say "early"). If I've missed something or something doesn't make sense feel free to point me at it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:15:44 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Conqest of Island (experimental forum RTS) 4/4 spots open
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 03:28:15 am »

seem simple enough, I'll play.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:51:20 am »

I (think I) inspired this game, so I'll join.

Does the Ancient Ruin contain 100 of each of the three resources, or only 100 total?
What do the Action Points represent?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:53:31 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:08:56 am »

Experimental game? In.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:11:33 am »

I'm game.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:27:05 am »

Does the Ancient Ruin contain 100 of each of the three resources, or only 100 total?
100 each.
Exactly what they do IRL- time (or to put it in a more sesquipedalian way: "management resource") Although you are never in danger, you represent the singular leader of an expedition, who spends a lot of time figuring out how all the intel reports fit together, coming up with what to do and explaining to your subordinates how they should do it. Not to mention paperwork to send back home. This is abstracted as AP.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Conqest of Island (experimental forum RTS) main players found
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:16:26 am »

The map now has some coordinates, so now I need you guys to pick starting locations. As an incentive to go first, no one can pick a location that is less then 5 hexes from yours (this is also probably common sense, but now they have to). Also pick names for yourselves (if different from your username) and your country.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:34:23 am by a1s »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:32:49 am »

Exactly what they do IRL- time (or to put it in a more sesquipedalian way: "management resource") Although you are never in danger, you represent the singular leader of an expedition, who spends a lot of time figuring out how all the intel reports fit together, coming up with what to do and explaining to your subordinates how they should do it. Not to mention paperwork to send back home. This is abstracted as AP.
Why is it harder to order people across a mountain than a plain? Especially if this is supposed to be an RTS simulator?

I'll start at 5, 15.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:36:20 am »

Why is it harder to order people across a mountain than a plain? Especially if this is supposed to be an RTS simulator?
err... um... "logistical concerns"?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 11:02:18 am »

To make the game balanced. Realism has to look away at times in order to make the game manageable and fair.
That said, this looks sweet. I will certainly be watching this, possibly being a splitting candidate (although I wouldn't recommend it, since I have rather erratic schedules.)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 11:10:20 am »

To make the game balanced. Realism has to look away at times in order to make the game manageable and fair.
Alternate possibility: Make ordering take as long, but travel take longer.
Which may require dividing the turns up smaller.
Sig

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 11:14:15 am »

I imagine that after you issue the order, the move is effectively instantaneous. I don't think the GM could handle running a time delay on who know how many units. They need to sleep, you know.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 11:16:35 am »

I imagine that after you issue the order, the move is effectively instantaneous.
This.
In fact that game is designed in such a way that you could run it entirely without me- I'm just here to keep everyone honest and resolve disputes. And update the graphical map.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »

I imagine that after you issue the order, the move is effectively instantaneous. I don't think the GM could handle running a time delay on who know how many units. They need to sleep, you know.
Currently, that's how it works, but I don't see how it would be significantly harder to keep track of how many more turns until the unit has crossed a hex. Especially since it wouldn't ever be more than 2-3.

Alternatively, we could break up the hexes and enable a movement range...

In fact that game is designed in such a way that you could run it entirely without me- I'm just here to keep everyone honest and resolve disputes. And update the graphical map.
How does my idea change that?
Sig

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »

How does my idea change that?
It doesn't really, I just think it becomes a lot harder to track (I'm not sure it isn't already too hard to track for a casual player)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8