Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retitled: How to do stuff? & General Depression  (Read 1606 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Retitled: How to do stuff? & General Depression
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:27:54 pm »

Depression again takes its yearly toll on me.

Frankly, I'm really not good at anything, at least a far as I can see. My art is medicore, my guitar playing is alright, and I really cannot sing... And those are the things I spent a lot of time, at least to me, doing! People always congratulate me for doing well in school and making honors, etc. etc. and getting in to university (going to UMiami for enginnering), but honestly I feel like I really don't deserve any of it or that I really am that "good".

*sigh* sometimes I feel like the life im living isnt the one I was meant to. Sometimes I just want to get out there, "adventure". I always wonder what it would be like if I had stuck with a martial art, or even a workout routine for more than 6 months. Maybe, if I just left home... I dont know. I know some people reading this might say, "well just do it!" But I don't know what that is, I can't comprehend that feeling actually. I dont think i've done some spontaneous, or exciting, or something I didn't overthink in my life before.

The same applies to my social life as well as my personal and physical ones, I haven't been to a dance in ages (doesnt help that I can't dance) and I don't think i've been to a real party. (That wasn't like poker night at a friend's house or superbowl sundays). I just... Don't know how to act. I don't know how to just "do" something either. Its always overthought and I always manage to find flaws, or too many risks.

I think about this and I wonder what the point of my life is. Is it even worth living if there's no excitement to be had or legacy to leave behind? If anyone has ever felt this way and thinks they can help me, please. Help.

Thanks, even if you can't help, just for listening.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:53:07 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to not be good at anything whatsoever?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 11:44:34 pm »

The world is full of mediocre people.  It's why they call it mediocre.  It sounds like you're just starting college, and you're worried that you aren't an expert in something?

As far as I can tell, things seem to be going reasonably well for you but are measuring your life against some standard you haven't actually defined.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:05:47 am »

You have two conflicting questions.

Is it possible to not be good at anything whatsoever?

Yes. But you wouldn't have made the thread if that were your question. You lied in the title. Hint hint hint.

Is it even worth living if there's no excitement to be had or legacy to leave behind?

We can help you feel better about mediocre, but that's destructive. Making this thread in the first place is destructive to you. Seriously.

If your problem is that you're mediocre at things, feeling better about being mediocre will only serve the status quo. I had a similar thread earlier, but it was about not being able to meet expectations. Once you've decided on what you expect of yourself, put in the work and get there. It requires long, boring practice which you will hate because you must change to get better. People hate changing.

I know some people reading this might say, "well just do it!" But I don't know what that is, I can't comprehend that feeling actually. I dont think i've done some spontaneous, or exciting, or something I didn't overthink in my life before.

"Well just do it" isn't a feeling. It's a command. If "just do it" was a feeling you get, you'd be doing it. When people tell you to shut up/practice/get better, what they're saying is put in the boring work. It's never spontaneous.

A sad fact of life is that most of the time you aren't going to be happy or sad or inspired or etc. "Just do it" means accept the boring moments. Play piano or draw even though you don't feel anything. Even though it doesn't make you feel anything. The popular image of a writer or starving artist is romanticized bullshit. The people who are really good at what they do looked at what they needed to do and did it.

So instead of asking, "is life worth living if I'm bad at things?" come up with something you specifically want to get better at and come back when you're stumped on how to progress. Only this will make you better.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:19:17 am »

People always congratulate me for doing well in school and making honors, etc. etc. and getting in to university (going to UMiami for enginnering), but honestly I feel like I really don't deserve any of it or that I really am that "good".
if your getting honors you must be good at something. Also if your doing engineering that means your probably a hard worker and ready to learn as that is a very challenging course. 
and a good work ethic is worth a hell of a lot more than natural talent.
So what if you aren't that good at guitar or art i mean your just doing them to enjoy them so does it matter how good you are at them?
it is not like you plan to make a living from them, so just enjoy them no matter how good you are.

you will have other talents as well i mean think about it how many things it possible to do in this world.

now imagine that colossal number of possible activities lets say 100 000 000 000 what are the odds you suck at each one?
i mean for all we know you could have the required skill set for some form of international bounty hunter specializing in pygmy or a knack for clog making.

i mean the likelihood of you not being good at anything are so remote are so remote that if you truly are talentless your about as improbable as a dog that speaks Norwegian and are proof of a rather cruel and vindictive deity.

my point is your good at a but tone of stuff and just don't know it 

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:24:54 am »

Making this thread in the first place is destructive to you. Seriously.
Not entirely. It has therapeutic use, and i know from my very close brushes with depression that getting your feelings out on the table helps clear your mind of them, which in turn allows you to actually think at the matters at hand instead of moping. Being able to focus on your goal instead of the obstacles is a TREMENDOUS help when it comes to doing things.

Also, you know that thing about "just do things", Scoopbeard? It's really quite simple, you can overthink things as much as you want, find as many theoretical consequences as you want... But regardless of all possible consequences, pick up your arse and get going. That's really all there is to it. Thump your chest, roar ferociously and and LEEROY JENKINS your way through all your meticulously thought out disaster scenarios, because they will cower in fear under your intensity.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 12:44:57 am »

Well thanks for the advice gentlemen. I guess I'll just go back out there and soldier on.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:14 am »

I've found it's not so much the being good at something as it is doing something you're proud of. I used to be good at studying, then I came to grad school and now I suck really badly. So I've found other things I can do that keep my morale up, because I'm happy I'm doing them.

Find an activity you really like and a way to share it with people. For me, that's been boardgames or parkour. I'm not good at parkour by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact that there's a group that I interact with a few times a week keeps me going. It's also highly non-competitive and cooperative, and even though I'm pretty terrible at most things since I haven't worked out for 10 years, people encourage you and make you feel good about you achieving your own personal goals.

Then all of a sudden you realise it's become part of your routine, and it's easy to do it regularly. And then you find yourself getting a little better, and thrive on that improvement. And somehow, you're happier!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »

I've found it's not so much the being good at something as it is doing something you're proud of. I used to be good at studying, then I came to grad school and now I suck really badly. So I've found other things I can do that keep my morale up, because I'm happy I'm doing them.

Find an activity you really like and a way to share it with people. For me, that's been boardgames or parkour. I'm not good at parkour by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact that there's a group that I interact with a few times a week keeps me going. It's also highly non-competitive and cooperative, and even though I'm pretty terrible at most things since I haven't worked out for 10 years, people encourage you and make you feel good about you achieving your own personal goals.

Then all of a sudden you realise it's become part of your routine, and it's easy to do it regularly. And then you find yourself getting a little better, and thrive on that improvement. And somehow, you're happier!

There are lots of things I enjoy doing, and with other people, but I want to be GOOD at something. In a sense, I've been trying to do that for years with art (which has admittedly improved), but I just feel like a shell. I'm really just going through the motions of life it feels like, and I think that if I can devote myself to something/stuff that will go away. The problem is, I don't feel like I have time, or maybe that it's even worth it. I'm 17, and you might say "Well, you've got your whole life ahead of you." but I've already been through the personality/sports/goodatstuff crucible and I didn't like what came out. So you see, to me, I'm stuck on an island in an ocean full of what appear to be un-navigable currents.

... On top of those factors, in the latest generation of my family (descending from my Grandfather) i'm the only child who has a chance at real success in life. I think it's expected of me, I know it would break a lot of hearts if I just fucked it all up like some of my relatives. I like engineering, and it makes me happy to do it, to figure out problems, but it doesn't feel like it's what i'm supposed to be doing. Maybe that's naive. I want to spend my life doing what I want to do, and maybe that's naive too, but I just feel like there's something more out there for me. Problem is, I don't know what it is, and I don't know how to go find it. In response to multiple responders, who I appreciate and thank greatly for your replies, I don't know HOW to take risk, i've never really taken any. It's hard enough for me to just sled down a hill a couple of times, let alone dance, or even really express myself sometimes.

I'm including this whole "aversion to risk" thing, because I was never athletic, although I often time wanted to be, and recently I want to maybe be GOOD at something physical... I don't really know. I think it might really boil to down to cowardice in the end D:

This is a problem, and I'm sad to say that it's one of the few I can't even think of a BAD solution to.

EDIT: I might as well respond to specifc posts.

As far as I can tell, things seem to be going reasonably well for you but are measuring your life against some standard you haven't actually defined.

My standard? I don't have any, all I see is that other people are better than me at... well everything. That isn't ok. Now I don't have to be an amazing genius who can do everything and anything, but I want something that I can call mine and see that it's better than someone else's.

You have two conflicting questions.

Is it possible to not be good at anything whatsoever?

Yes. But you wouldn't have made the thread if that were your question. You lied in the title. Hint hint hint.

Is it even worth living if there's no excitement to be had or legacy to leave behind?

We can help you feel better about mediocre, but that's destructive. Making this thread in the first place is destructive to you. Seriously.

If your problem is that you're mediocre at things, feeling better about being mediocre will only serve the status quo. I had a similar thread earlier, but it was about not being able to meet expectations. Once you've decided on what you expect of yourself, put in the work and get there. It requires long, boring practice which you will hate because you must change to get better. People hate changing.

I know some people reading this might say, "well just do it!" But I don't know what that is, I can't comprehend that feeling actually. I dont think i've done some spontaneous, or exciting, or something I didn't overthink in my life before.

"Well just do it" isn't a feeling. It's a command. If "just do it" was a feeling you get, you'd be doing it. When people tell you to shut up/practice/get better, what they're saying is put in the boring work. It's never spontaneous.

A sad fact of life is that most of the time you aren't going to be happy or sad or inspired or etc. "Just do it" means accept the boring moments. Play piano or draw even though you don't feel anything. Even though it doesn't make you feel anything. The popular image of a writer or starving artist is romanticized bullshit. The people who are really good at what they do looked at what they needed to do and did it.

So instead of asking, "is life worth living if I'm bad at things?" come up with something you specifically want to get better at and come back when you're stumped on how to progress. Only this will make you better.

You got me and point one. It IS possible to not be "Good" at anything, I don't know if it's me, but I have a strong suspicion it is.

Again, yea, it takes a lot of work to be good at something, not always enjoyable. I HAVE worked that hard before, but... I don't always work as hard as I can. Sometimes, something I want to do, something i'm WORKING for, I just... lose emotion, lose the will to do it. I always think: "Is this worth it?" or "Why am I doing this?" sometimes the answer is yes/important reasons, but I can't always seem to continue on.

Finally Like I said, I don't know how to "Just do it"

... Not that I haven't just done it, but it's not something I can just call up on demand. Or use at will.

People always congratulate me for doing well in school and making honors, etc. etc. and getting in to university (going to UMiami for enginnering), but honestly I feel like I really don't deserve any of it or that I really am that "good".
if your getting honors you must be good at something. Also if your doing engineering that means your probably a hard worker and ready to learn as that is a very challenging course. 
and a good work ethic is worth a hell of a lot more than natural talent.
So what if you aren't that good at guitar or art i mean your just doing them to enjoy them so does it matter how good you are at them?
it is not like you plan to make a living from them, so just enjoy them no matter how good you are.

you will have other talents as well i mean think about it how many things it possible to do in this world.

now imagine that colossal number of possible activities lets say 100 000 000 000 what are the odds you suck at each one?
i mean for all we know you could have the required skill set for some form of international bounty hunter specializing in pygmy or a knack for clog making.

i mean the likelihood of you not being good at anything are so remote are so remote that if you truly are talentless your about as improbable as a dog that speaks Norwegian and are proof of a rather cruel and vindictive deity.

my point is your good at a but tone of stuff and just don't know it 

Honors, not impressive. Almost 65% of my class recieves honors every semester, it's not a goal or anything, it's just something I expect. Anyways, honestly I don't feel good about doing things I'm not good at... I start to enjoy them, get into them, and then I look around and I realize just how bad I am at something... and that puts me off. It's also true, the odds of my being bad at every, single, possible thing are slim, but like I said earlier, I don't know how to go out and find what I'm good at. thanks though, for trying to make me feel better.

Making this thread in the first place is destructive to you. Seriously.
Not entirely. It has therapeutic use, and i know from my very close brushes with depression that getting your feelings out on the table helps clear your mind of them, which in turn allows you to actually think at the matters at hand instead of moping. Being able to focus on your goal instead of the obstacles is a TREMENDOUS help when it comes to doing things.

Also, you know that thing about "just do things", Scoopbeard? It's really quite simple, you can overthink things as much as you want, find as many theoretical consequences as you want... But regardless of all possible consequences, pick up your arse and get going. That's really all there is to it. Thump your chest, roar ferociously and and LEEROY JENKINS your way through all your meticulously thought out disaster scenarios, because they will cower in fear under your intensity.

Thanks Shook, I'll try but... that's strange to me.

I think after answering those, that a huge part of my problem is that I DO care what other people think of me. Don't say you shouldn't, because deep down we all do, but I mean it bothers me when people don't like me, or things along those lines. In fact, some of the greatest months i've lived on this planet, were during the summer where I was left alone for 8+ hours of the day, I worked out everyday, I wasn't depressed, it was... great. Only problem was, there wasn't anyone around to share my achievements with.

... I don't know what's wrong with me. I can always find something about me to hate.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:17:06 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Retitled: How to do stuff? & General Depression
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 05:10:42 am »

"Good" is very subjective.
You'd need to define what 'being good at X or Y' means first, in quantitative terms (at least to your understanding), before you even can realize you are good at something.
And then again, that what you defined as 'good', could in another man's eye just as well be 'mediocre', or 'fucking fantastically amazing'.

What you should beware of, is perfectionism.
Perfectionism has nothing to do with achieving perfection, it is a flaw in perception, that makes you percieve everything as 'not good enough'.
That is a trait that will not make your life more pleasant, and will adversely affect your abilities to be good at stuff (if only because all the time spent wondering whether it is good enough could have been spent more creatively).

Don't worry though.
Seems like you're in a pretty comfortable and good position to grow, learn, and experience.

I mean, you could have been born in a North Korean prison camp instead. Now that would have sucked  :o

Also, as long as depression does not consume your life, it's not bad.
I say that in this messed up world, any person who is not at least slightly depressed on a regular basis, is either a sociopath, a sadist, is suffering from a dissociative disorder, or is dr. Phil.

learn this mantra: "I am quite happily depressed"  ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:23:21 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:23 am »

Finally Like I said, I don't know how to "Just do it"

... Not that I haven't just done it, but it's not something I can just call up on demand. Or use at will.

You're ignoring what I said. THERE ISN'T ANYTHING TO CALL UP ON DEMAND. Just do it literally means look at what problems you need to solve to get better at what you want to get better at and start tackling them.

You seem to think hard work comes in bursts of inspiration when you're in the mood or are feeling right, etc. Nope. Part of adulthood (a BIG part) is learning to work hard even when you don't feel like it, even when you don't want to do it or don't know what the end goal looks like.

The hard work - "just do it" is actually the point of your dilemma. You can practice kung fu every day and maybe, just maybe, become the best, but you could always be even better! Right up until the day you die. So there's no end goal unless you set one yourself.

What you should beware of, is perfectionism.
Perfectionism has nothing to do with achieving perfection, it is a flaw in perception, that makes you percieve everything as 'not good enough'.
That is a trait that will not make your life more pleasant, and will adversely affect your abilities to be good at stuff (if only because all the time spent wondering whether it is good enough could have been spent more creatively).

Don't worry though.
Seems like you're in a pretty comfortable and good position to grow, learn, and experience.

I mean, you could have been born in a North Korean prison camp instead. Now that would have sucked  :o

Also, as long as depression does not consume your life, it's not bad.
I say that in this messed up world, any person who is not at least slightly depressed on a regular basis, is either a sociopath, a sadist, is suffering from a dissociative disorder, or is dr. Phil.

learn this mantra: "I am quite happily depressed"  ;)

Listen to this man.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:41 am »

At least for me, there are times when "just doing it" is literally impossible. It's not for lack of wanting, but rather that attempting to power my way through whatever I'm doing just results in a lot of pain. Real, physical pain.

When I'm in this mood, attempting to "just do it" is about as reasonable as attempting to break through a cement wall with my fists. I can try and try and try, but all I'm going to get is some bloody hands.

Medication helps, though. Woo for having ADHD and no sign of it stopping into adulthood.

Dunno if this is at all applicable to the OP.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:41:11 am »

One of my big realisations when coming to a good US university was that there is always going to be someone better than you at everything. That's just how it is. One person out of 7 billion gets to be the best at something! Heck, I'm sharing my hallway with someone who was the best student of all of India in a given year (even met the president at that time or something). I can't compete with that, no way.

So again, just learn to enjoy things. Try to thrive on the fact that you're becoming better, not the best. Stay humble and learn from the best. And again, judging from your comments, a big problem still appears to be that you have noone with whom to share the things you're proud. Take whatever activity you like doing, and find people to do it with. They'll share your enthusiasm and push you on. If you worked out, why not join a group that works out? Or work out while doing some other sport.

I feel we focus too much on trying to find "the thing" that we're meant to do. But that's not how life works... life is just experiences, one after the other. There are very few people in the world who can be happy from doing one thing that they were "meant to do". The rest of us just need to chose our experiences, and enjoy them as best as possible, try to become better people, etc, and feel nice about who we are because we're working on getting better.

Regarding being afraid of... things, you seem to be pretty similar to me. I am extremely risk-averse... I'd say that contact sports are probably a not good idea, since they're very competitive, and not really suited to our frame of mind. In martial arts, you win or lose. There's no such thing in parkour or freerunning, which I'll suggest yet again. They're super friendly, cooperative activities, where you're never ever supposed to do something you're not confident and ready for. You very slowly build up to it, in confidence, strength and agility. Start small, and people will help you and encourage you to build up to whatever your goal is, no matter how small. I'd try finding a local group and seeing if that works. If it's half as nice as the one I'm working out with, it'll be a great experience.

There's a nice documentary about it that I'd encourage you to have a look at. I've been meaning to rewatch it for a while :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:44:37 am by Anvilfolk »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 12:05:49 am »

Sigh, well thanks. I think I'll lock this thread soon. It's been very helpful, but ultimately this won't solve my problems, nor will becoming good at something I think.

... I get depressed a lot, and over time it's just gone to the point where I really hate myself. It's been that way for a long time... Since the first thread I posted in life advice, if anyone remembers that. Honestly, there's nothing I can do to change it and that's what gets me. I mean sometimes im alright with me, but other times I look in the mirror and I have to look away... Hell, i'm not even bad looking. Good looking, even... by some accounts...

... But still i'm disgusted. I don't know, really. I just can't stand me, I wish I could anybody else. Funny thing, I think I look better than when I was little (people tell me I looked cute, but even back then I didn't like how I looked... Sans depression) but it's really only shown me how bad I was/am.

Of course, its not just the physical stuff, as I said, it's everything. I've tried to get good at school, and im still trying, but like I said sometimes... I just can't. I managed to finish my high school career with a ~3.1 GPA, but that's not good enough, not for this me. It got me in to a good college (somewhat to my surprise) but I'm not satisfied, perfectionism? Yea, probably, but it's either that and this depression or falling in to a worse rut/lifestyle than I already have going on.

Well that quickly turned in to a rant... You've all given me really good advice, but I don't if I can even follow it. I'm even confused about my own feelings right now. So if you've got any really good, epiphany-causing advice to give me please post it in the next day or two. After that, I gotta lock this and see if I can't just make myself better.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 12:25:53 am »

By the way, definitely respect yourself for both being receptive and sticking up for your values, all in one thread. If nothing else, the way you think may lead you to greatness all on your own.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 12:30:27 am »

Thanks Freeform. Thanks to everyone who responded, i'll be locking this now.  8)