Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: CHRISTMAS PARTY  (Read 34603 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: CHRISTMAS PARTY
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 10:48:41 am »

1. Close Fist.
2. Extend Thumb or Index Finger.
3. Extend Index Finger or Middle Finger.
4. Extend Middle Finger or Ring Finger.
5. Extend Ring Finger or Pinky.
6. Extend Pinky or Thumb.
7. Repeat with other hand as needed.
8. Don't try to count on your fingers if you need to count higher than 10.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 11:11:53 am »

@Lenglon
How do you typically display five with your hands?
I prefer to use the ASL handsigns, and display five by extending all my fingers outwards.
You are missing my point. Both of you, in fact.

How the hell do you count on a hand by starting from a closed fist? From my earliest years, whenever I needed to count on a hand, I started from an open palm and bent fingers down for every digit. The opposite I only ever seen used by boxing referees, as a means of counting and pointing at once.
I was taught to start with zero fingers up, then raise one finger up as I said each number, meaning that I started with a closed fist. I retrained myself to use ASL handsigns roughly ten years ago, and those start with forming my hand into a empty circle for zero, and one is my index finger alone. six is tapping my thumb with my pinky finger. ten is my thumb alone.
EDIT: for clarity, I count to ten on one hand, I don't use the other in any way.
second edit: bad habit of mine, i was doing the numbers 6+ backwards (1,2,3,4,5,9,8,7,6,10) when I was typing this up at first. fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:33:09 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 11:40:35 am »

...Wow, I never realized there was so much variance in how people count on their hands.  I thought everyone did it with the index finger equalling one, middle + index = 2, ect.

And yeah, binary works a bit different.  Since you're not just counting how many fingers there are, you have to account for the fingers that are down too.  And since starting with the pinky is annoying (two comes up more than eight), I start with the thumb.

@Lenglon
I've thought about using ASL's method, but I ended up preferring binary because you can count higher using a static image.  With ASL you need movements to say "one hundred thirty two".  With binary, you just flip the person two birds.

@Sean
That seems crazy and backwards to my american mind.  I'm guess you're different because you're russian.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 11:43:11 am »

May I ask what's the usefulness of counting with one's hands? Besides showing the numbers to others?

Although I have to admit, using your hands to count in binary does sound very efficient, if a bit hard to do. Numbers between 7 and 16 would be really hard.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 11:51:36 am »

@Sean
That seems crazy and backwards to my american mind.  I'm guess you're different because you're russian.
Yeah, that's what I'm guessing as well. Chalk it up to the "In Soviet Russia" effect. :P

Also, that means that for me, the offensive number is 27.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 11:55:30 am »

It's mostly useful for keeping track of how many times something happens while distracted.  It's pretty easy to automate the movements needed to advance a number- I can do it without thinking.  I regularly count things up to sixty or so, while maintaining a conversation.

Try counting how many times someone blinks while you talk to them.  It's very hard if you do it mentally.

Obviously, it's bad for quickly communicating small numbers, because it's hard to read without practice and people will usually just count your fingers anyways.  Most people just think you're saying three if you show them seven in binary.

And yes, it requires practice, and eight will always look weird.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09:00 pm »

While we're talking about finger-counting, since SCUBA divers need to be able to communicate all ten digits with one hand, they use the typical one-through-five for, well, one through five...and then turn their hand around and sideways for six-through-ten. A hand-circle is zero, just like in ASL. This is an interesting and efficient means to count[citation needed].
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:27 pm »

As a scuba diver, I confirm what GWG said.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 12:44:18 pm »

4 is the best number i'll fite u bro

On that note, I'll take 16.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 02:21:09 am »

5/54/45/55 the first of those that is available
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 01:01:56 pm »

Ohooh, I'm halfway theeere... Ohooh, livin' on'a prayer...
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »

14, obviously.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »

If 33 is available, take it.  If not, take 10
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2014, 09:59:40 pm »

Tiruin/Feyri picks 55, also thanks Parisbre for being so kind as to inform her.
Thanks..

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2014, 10:32:11 pm »

While we're talking about finger-counting, since SCUBA divers need to be able to communicate all ten digits with one hand, they use the typical one-through-five for, well, one through five...and then turn their hand around and sideways for six-through-ten. A hand-circle is zero, just like in ASL. This is an interesting and efficient means to count[citation needed].

The more you know.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16