Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 180

Author Topic: Twitch plays pokemon!  (Read 198179 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Twitch plays pokemon!
« Reply #930 on: February 23, 2014, 10:02:07 pm »

Maybe I'm over-thinking it.
You are.  A lot of people are perhaps getting a bit too invested in the stream but to turn that into a reason to hate the human race is rather extreme.
I've had reasons long before this (in times before the internet). This just makes me feel more justified in my hatred (or more accurately, disappointment), since I've got a much broader sample to work with. I like when my instincts are right, but there are times where I wish it wasn't right all the time. But then again, it's pretty par for the course.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 23, 2014, 10:02:19 pm »

It's an interesting social phenomena, I'll grant you that.

I'm really enjoying being part of the TPP community. Throwing in the odd "PRAISE HELIX" as shared worship, debating the merits of releasing Zapdos for his brutal PC massacre or withdrawing him to not trivialize DUX's sacrifice, trying desperately to convince the community of Eevee's pointlessness... it's been an exciting ride, and I'm really happy to have been a part of it.

The important part is to not take it seriously. I'd be concerned about this level of religious fervor and fanatic devotion if it wasn't over a single bit-string in a game that, frankly, will be over in ~5 days or less. So long as you appreciate the humour in the chaos and destruction, TPP is awesome to watch. I've literally made people cry with laughter recounting Red's adventures in Kanto.  :D

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 23, 2014, 10:05:30 pm »

You are.  A lot of people are perhaps getting a bit too invested in the stream but to turn that into a reason to hate the human race is rather extreme.
I've had reasons long before this (in times before the internet). This just makes me feel more justified in my hatred (or more accurately, disappointment), since I've got a much broader sample to work with. I like when my instincts are right, but there are times where I wish it wasn't right all the time. But then again, it's pretty par for the course.

It says quite a bit when people having fun is a reason to hate humanity for you.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:42 pm »

More particularly, "I hate it when a small segment of humanity does this one stupid thing" -> "I hate humanity."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #934 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:58 pm »

It says quite a bit when people having fun is a reason to hate humanity for you.
It's not that they're having fun that bothers me, it's how far they took it.

I mean, if it's actually affecting my want to play games in general, and to want to be far away from it as to not be shoehorned into being "part of the obsession" just because I play games in general (sooner or later, it's gonna happen; or FOX is gonna have it's grubby little hands on it, and turn it into a media nightmare for non-gamers, and attempt to ruin gaming for everybody (gamer or not) for ratings (Their target demographic have an unusual amount of influence that makes me feel uneasy.)). I already suffered that hell early on in my life for a good near-dozen years; I don't feel like dealing with it again for any amount of time. Then again, how others were affected by different crap like that, and how it affected me, is what I worry most about. I'm not looking forward to being demonized, again, because I like playing games. I don't want a repeat of school, thank you very much.

EDIT:
I think I'll take my recent posts as a sign that I'm starting to accept my fate that I'm becoming old. Better start practicing my ways of telling kids to get off my lawn.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:24:10 pm by Itnetlolor »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:24 pm »

Of course, the fact that they took it so far is why it's fun. It'd be boring if nobody cared.

Am I the only one who actually takes this as an optimistic cross-section of humanity? Yeah, there's lots of people blathering about and not helping, and there's a not-insignificant amount of trolls and haters, but when you get right down to it the trolls are losing. Progress is being made. The game will be beaten. It'll be ugly, and hard fought, with many casualties and missteps and so on, but at the end of the day the game will end in victory. And really, the idea that the net good outweighs the net bad (even when the bad is demonstrably easier to achieve) is a comforting thought to me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 23, 2014, 10:25:38 pm »

Or maybe you could get mad at the demonizers, rather than the people who are just fucking around?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 23, 2014, 10:27:58 pm »

We're back at the PC, is this because of those stupid trolls or are we trying to get Zapdos out?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 23, 2014, 10:28:12 pm »

I mean, if it's actually affecting my want to play games in general, and to want to be far away from it as to not be shoehorned into being "part of the obsession" just because I play games in general (sooner or later, it's gonna happen; or FOX is gonna have it's grubby little hands on it, and turn it into a media nightmare for non-gamers, and attempt to ruin gaming for everybody (gamer or not) for ratings (Their target demographic have an unusual amount of influence that makes me feel uneasy.)). I already suffered that hell early on in my life for a good near-dozen years; I don't feel like dealing with it again for any amount of time. Then again, how others were affected by different crap like that, and how it affected me, is what I worry most about. I'm not looking forward to being demonized, again, because I like playing games. I don't want a repeat of school, thank you very much.

Seriously, it has nothing to do with "the obsession" and everything to do with the fuckwits who get their lulz shitting on anyone who dares to be anything more interesting than an unnecessary accountant doing nothing but double-checking the work of other bean-counters until the day he dies, miserable with regret at having done nothing. Part of being a useful adult is realizing that fact, and telling those with a hateful, hawk-eyed stare at the unusual to go back to minding their own petty, hate filled lives.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 23, 2014, 10:30:44 pm »

Ugh apparently some of destiny's fans have been keeping an eye on the stream even when he's not involved and are trying to strike out on their own while bird jesus is vulnerable. Thankfully it looks like their presence isn't strong enough to worry about at the moment.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 23, 2014, 10:34:51 pm »

We're back at the PC, is this because of those stupid trolls or are we trying to get Zapdos out?
Zapdos.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:22 pm »

Honestly if you're gonna let what other people are doing, harmlessly (Yes harmlessly, even if they ruined the integrity of TPP it's still nothing outright harmful) affect you that much you might as well give up deciding anything at all for yourself. Since that's already resigning yourself to always moving away from "The mob" or whatever. Furthermore you're way, way over-thinking this and clearly don't really have the capacity to do anything useful with it.

Trying to get zapdos out, don't worry about the trolls since there's simply not enough of them to have much of an effect unless they're all on the stream around 40 seconds before they actually want to be there.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #942 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:33 pm »

Or maybe you could get mad at the demonizers, rather than the people who are just fucking around?
Unfortunately, past (unrelated) cases have been bad enough my IFF has burned out, and gone indiscriminate, even to the point I can't trust friends helping me out, whether it is genuine, or they just want me to shut the hell up.

Speaking of which, I'll do just that and shut the hell up. No purpose in digging myself deeper.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:39:59 pm by Itnetlolor »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 23, 2014, 10:39:45 pm »

I don't think Destiny has any influence over the stream at all - Pidgeot never got released, even though that was his target. The errors made today seem to be due to failing to take lag into account.

I don't think trolls really have any effect on the game at all in fact, other than maybe some people who try to waste time when the stream is not in their preferred form of government (start9/down spam off that one ledge).

Unfortunately, past (unrelated) cases have been bad enough my IFF has burned out, and gone indiscriminate, even to the point I can't trust friends helping me out, whether it is genuine, or they just want me to shut the hell up.

Speaking of which, I'll do just that and shut the hell up. No purpose in digging myself deeper.
I'd have to suggest seeing a professional then, this doesn't seem like a problem that a bunch of random people on a games forum can help you through.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 23, 2014, 10:44:20 pm »

mission success, zaptos is out of the pc

and that was the fastest i've seen it get switched back to anarchy ever
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:51:21 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 180