Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 180

Author Topic: Twitch plays pokemon!  (Read 198170 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Twitch plays pokemon!
« Reply #735 on: February 23, 2014, 03:04:20 am »

I'm with Sergarr here, a weighted bias does make it less random than non-weighted. Rolling a pair of d6 is slightly less random than a single d12 (Or a d11 + 1 if you prefer), it is still unpredictable, just less so.

Although I don't really think that is objectively worse or less legitimate or less entertaining. It can be better as slightly less random, if you like that.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 23, 2014, 03:05:27 am »

It's strange, and I'll refrain from naming any names, but I've heard several streamers speak out against TPP by now. All for different (stated) reasons, but it just feels odd.

It is a weird thing, and parts of it are undeniably stupid, but I suppose that's another thing we can look at as far as sociological aspects. Not only the people who are playing the game, but the people who oppose it without playing it, or actively thwart it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 23, 2014, 03:08:19 am »

Well it could just be some angst that a chat parsed into input commands is more popular than the streams that many of them actually put a lot of time and effort into... If a room full of people all shouting random commands was doing better at my job than I was with all the effort I put in I might be a little annoyed to.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 23, 2014, 03:10:10 am »

I'm with Sergarr here, a weighted bias does make it less random than non-weighted. Rolling a pair of d6 is slightly less random than a single d12 (Or a d11 + 1 if you prefer), it is still unpredictable, just less so.

Although I don't really think that is objectively worse or less legitimate or less entertaining. It can be better as slightly less random, if you like that.
For a bot, the 2% is needed to avoid backtracking. Twitch chat may be full of trolls, but there are always more people trying to get towards the next goal than people trying to go backwards.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 23, 2014, 03:11:35 am »

The movement bias will most of the time be set... toward the current goal.

what part of "toward the current goal" is hard to understand
The part where it makes the generated numbers less random.

Technically it does make the game slightly less random (where -log(Σp(button)^2) is the measure of randomness), but what makes a huge difference here (and what bothers Sergarr so much) is that the RNG selector is not independent of the game's state, most importantly in a way that makes the game winnable in linear time instead of exponential time.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 23, 2014, 03:16:45 am »

The movement bias will most of the time be set... toward the current goal.

what part of "toward the current goal" is hard to understand
The part where it makes the generated numbers less random.

By "True RNG" I meant "choosing randomly without changing the probabilities because a human said so". And seeing as this RNG has its probabilities controlled by someone, it is not a "True RNG"
In that case the numbers are still random, just the odds of the different buttons being pressed have changed.

(I have no idea at which point I started messing with you.)

Also hey they finally entered the power plant. Cool.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 23, 2014, 03:22:41 am »

EDIT: Ninja'd

As far as RNG goes (insert slowpoke meme here), I think it should be completely without bias related to the game state. That's just my feelings about applying randomness in general though (randomness in game rules is different). If the Twitch Plays Pokemon stream is about a large amount of people working together to beat Pokemon though, what's the experiment in RNG Plays Pokemon? Just to see how long it'll take, or is it for entertainment value?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:26:26 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 23, 2014, 03:23:38 am »

Also hey they finally entered the power plant. Cool.
Spoiler: Wait for it (click to show/hide)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 23, 2014, 03:25:07 am »

AIR has been taken out. The advance continues nonetheless.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 23, 2014, 03:26:53 am »

So. No surf, no fly, no digrat. I think this means that they're stuck there until Bird Jesus runs out of PP or a lucky hit takes it out.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 23, 2014, 03:28:19 am »

I'm pretty sure you can still use overworld abilities of KOd pokemons... I think. Like 90% sure.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 23, 2014, 03:28:52 am »

Well that's just silly.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 23, 2014, 03:32:07 am »

I can confirm you can use the overworld abilities of KO'd pokemon. At least, in Gen 2, which is the one I have with me right now.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 23, 2014, 03:33:23 am »

Well that's just silly.
"Faint" isn't unconsciousness. It's lacking the will to fight. Admittedly, that should probably prevent moving boulders around; it also seems like a bit of a misnomer.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 23, 2014, 04:04:37 am »

ZAPDOOOOOO2!

E: oh goddammit Pikachu get out of our face.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 180