Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 180

Author Topic: Twitch plays pokemon!  (Read 198202 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twitch plays pokemon!
« Reply #690 on: February 22, 2014, 11:45:40 pm »

We're at the ledge again, there seems to be conflict over what the plan is.
Why did we go there again? Do people want to spend another six hours falling off a cliff?

And yes, I do know democracy exists. However, the trolls will be spamming anarchy in addition to the people who fully oppose democracy (like me).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 22, 2014, 11:47:05 pm »

Full opposition to democracy is like full opposition to Kefka... Who even does that?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 22, 2014, 11:49:07 pm »

Someone, please explain to me why everyone is "worshipping" the helix fossil and hates Flareon.

Seriously, I just don't get it.

This is a lot bigger than I thought it would get, yesterday's xkcd comic referenced it.
The helix worship started before I began following the feed, but I think it was just their first key item they got, and whenever they got stuck on the item menu, they ended up examining it, usually multiple times. Being a key item, it was immune to being accidentally tossed, but it could be deposited in the PC. The joke is that Red keeps looking to the Helix Fossil for guidance, because he is obviously incapable of making up his own mind.

Flareon is much more interesting. By the time they got to Celedon, it was well established that trolls and chat lag could ruin everything. Even something as simple as buying an item or using the PC could have disastrous results. There was a debate about which pokemon they should get for surf, Eevee or Lapras. In the end, Eevee was picked up. The problem with Eevee was that it needed an evolution stone to evolve. Until you reach the elite 4, there is a finite amount of money available to the player, and evolution stones were expensive. And the chaos of battle meant losing was frequent, and your remaining cash supply was cut in half each time, so money was especially tight. For Eevee to evolve into Vaporeon and be able to learn surf, they needed to buy a water stone from a specific vendor in the department store. This vendor also had many other items. Well, they eventually bought an evolution stone, a fire stone, and didn't have enough money to get a water stone. So Eevee was evolved using the stone, into Flareon. It was decided that Flareon was to be deposited in the PC to make room for Lapras later (since it is given by a person, it couldn't be sent directly to the PC). What happened was that their level 34 Charmeleon and a Rattatta were released. It was deemed that going for Eevee in the first place was what caused this disastrous turn of events.

Oh wow, watching red get about half way across the ledge, only to jump, and then about 20 seconds later a flood of "democracy" votes is hilarious! Seriously guys, all you need to do is not type 'down', you have even done it before! I don't see how it is that difficult. Huehuehue.
The problem is that trolls have disproportionate power. A single misstep could erase the progress of several proper movements.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:52:43 pm by Lagslayer »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 22, 2014, 11:53:11 pm »

Full opposition to democracy is like full opposition to Kefka... Who even does that?
Question: how long have you been watching?

It would've been incredible if we had managed to get through the entire game using anarchy. Now that democracy exists, that won't happen.

However, we can still try to stay in anarchy as much as possible.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 22, 2014, 11:57:31 pm »

Democracy was created because we spent a day and a half without progress in the game center.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 22, 2014, 11:58:29 pm »

Democracy was created because we spent a day and a half without progress in the game center.
We still would have gotten through. The whole run is basically invalid now, at least partially.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 23, 2014, 12:01:17 am »

It would've been incredible if we had managed to get through the entire game using anarchy. Now that democracy exists, that won't happen.

Instead we have a lot of hilarious memes about a war between the forces of anarchy and democracy, and it is equally, if not more entertaining than a straight anarchy run. I think some of the lore that has come out of this conflict is just as incredible.

We still would have gotten through. The whole run is basically invalid now, at least partially.
If democracy was there from the start nobody would be calling it invalid, rather enjoying it was a feature.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 23, 2014, 12:02:26 am »

I have doubts, or if it had happened it only would have happened due to boredom killing off the viewership enough to make finer control possible. assuming the spam bots died off as well, if not the lowered real input numbers might have been completely drowned out by spam.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 23, 2014, 12:03:43 am »

Democracy was created because we spent a day and a half without progress in a single room in the game center.
FTFY

For the uninitiated, the room was a maze of tiles that sent you sliding in the direction that they pointed. It was a simple maze, but because of how the tiles worked, it required a long series of precise movements in all directions. The utter chaos of anarchy clearly wasn't up to the task.

I believe the anarchy only version had reached it's logical conclusion by this point. There was little more to learn from it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 23, 2014, 12:15:27 am »

New request: Add a 'Which do you prefer? Democracy/Anarchy' poll to this topic.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 23, 2014, 12:17:08 am »

"Invalid" by what measure?  The point of TPP was never to see if thousands of people could navigate through fiddly puzzles in spite of 40 second lag and arbitrary command selection.  It was to watch people attempt to collaboratively play through the game, and enabling democracy for difficult tasks allows that to happen on a reasonable timescale.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 23, 2014, 12:21:16 am »

+1, I don't even watch this, and I'd like to see this.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 23, 2014, 12:29:44 am »

I'm not really into TPP for the social experiment angle. As long as people keep playing I imagine we'd eventually make it, anarchy or no, because Pokemon is not a hard game by any stretch (there's not even a game over). So, I'm watching it for the entertainment value, and spending more than 24 hours on a puzzle is not fun to watch or participate in. Democracy mode is necessary because one down input can easily override an hour or more of progress in some places.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 23, 2014, 12:33:28 am »

Instead we have a lot of hilarious memes about a war between the forces of anarchy and democracy, and it is equally, if not more entertaining than a straight anarchy run. I think some of the lore that has come out of this conflict is just as incredible.

If democracy was there from the start nobody would be calling it invalid, rather enjoying it was a feature.
But it wasn't there from the start.

I am aware. We spent six hours at the ledge, and when we finally got past it, it was amazing. It would've been even more amazing with the game center, but we cheated.

I have doubts, or if it had happened it only would have happened due to boredom killing off the viewership enough to make finer control possible. assuming the spam bots died off as well, if not the lowered real input numbers might have been completely drowned out by spam.
Eh. We would've gotten past through pure random chance, though it might have taken a while.

"Invalid" by what measure?  The point of TPP was never to see if thousands of people could navigate through fiddly puzzles in spite of 40 second lag and arbitrary command selection.  It was to watch people attempt to collaboratively play through the game, and enabling democracy for difficult tasks allows that to happen on a reasonable timescale.
You'd need to ask the creator about the point. Personally, I always saw normal tasks suddenly becoming near-impossible as one of the main sources of entertainment and fanart.

+1, I don't even watch this, and I'd like to see this.
+1. With a conditional "only when we get stuck" option.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 23, 2014, 12:35:37 am »

I'm not really into TPP for the social experiment angle. As long as people keep playing I imagine we'd eventually make it, anarchy or no, because Pokemon is not a hard game by any stretch (there's not even a game over). So, I'm watching it for the entertainment value, and spending more than 24 hours on a puzzle is not fun to watch or participate in. Democracy mode is necessary because one down input can easily override an hour or more of progress in some places.

I actually found the puzzle time really entertaining, just because every progress report become so momentous, and it was easier to watch for benchmark moments and suspense.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 180